Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 03:22 PM

115 posts, read 319,389 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

My 2 friends and I are looking to drive north to see snow this winter. We live in Orlando, Fl. Our goal is to leave early one January Saturday morning, drive 6 to 9 hours or so north, find a town, stay in a local hotel, and enjoy a night and early morning of snow. We would then drive back to FL that Sunday morning.

The trouble is, we are debating where to go. Since weather cannot be predicted so far in advanced, we are more or less lookingfor suggestions of cities/towns that usually have decent snowfall around this time. Our date isn't set in stone, but the January part is! I've tried doing some research on the internet, but I haven't found any good sites that are snowfall January/City specific. So, I was hoping that someone here might either: have a good site I could go to, or perhaps be someone that just knows the area and might give suggestions. I was thinking west SC, perhaps Greenville. But I'd love to hear what you think! Perhaps north GA?

In case your thinking we all are crazy, I've only seen snow once, and the others have never seen snow! We sooo want snow. Snowball fights, snow angels...etc. We are craving cold and snow, and really hope that we can come up with suggestions for locations that are only a days drive away (6 - 9 hours), as we only have one weekend to dedicate to this!

Thanks to everyone who responds. I look forward to hearing suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 03:52 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
i did have to laugh a bit, since we left WI for SC to get away from the snow lol.
Seriously, you may find some at the base of the mountains, locals can give more info but my guess is heading to Asheville NC may be the best option cutting thru SC.... though not sure if that hits your timetable for driving but would be a nice spot to spend a night

Old 10-06-2011, 03:57 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Yes, you are going to have to increase your travel time to see real snow. Greenville might have some but it will be gone fast so another hour or 2 north would do you some good. If I were you I'd plan a skiing weekend at the next closest ski lodge. Thinking Snowshoe, WV to be the closest but I'm not familiar with this sport other than that.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:33 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,380,209 times
Beech Mountain, NC, or Boone, NC. Expect a much longer drive, but more satisfying result for "snow chasers." If you'd rather not drive that distance, then your chances of calculating snowfall will be significantly affected by more delicate (less predictable) weather patterns. I would aim for the western North Carolina Mountains, regardless. Hendersonville, Asheville and Highlands are closer than my first two recommendations.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:35 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Western North Carolina Mountains is your best bet. Gatlinburg, TN is a good spot too. It's a couple hours further but will be worth it.

How about leaving Friday night and staying for the weekend?

Old 10-07-2011, 09:44 AM

115 posts, read 319,389 times
Thank you all for your suggestions and recommendations. I think I'll have to try and convince the others that leaving Friday and heading up to NC moutains might be a better bet. I've been to Ashville and thought it was gorgeous so the idea of getting to see that area again is exciting.

Anyways, thanks again everyone! Have a wonderful week!

Old 10-07-2011, 01:50 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,020 times
I don't think there is snow in the Mountains of NC yet.... possibly in January but not always. I was in Boone once for xmas and it didn't snow. Also I hope you can drive in the snow..It's different. I lived in NJ and had to learn.....

Old 10-07-2011, 04:41 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annagurl333 View Post
Hello Everyone!

My 2 friends and I are looking to drive north to see snow this winter. We live in Orlando, Fl. Our goal is to leave early one January Saturday morning, drive 6 to 9 hours or so north, find a town, stay in a local hotel, and enjoy a night and early morning of snow. We would then drive back to FL that Sunday morning.

The trouble is, we are debating where to go. Since weather cannot be predicted so far in advanced, we are more or less lookingfor suggestions of cities/towns that usually have decent snowfall around this time. Our date isn't set in stone, but the January part is! I've tried doing some research on the internet, but I haven't found any good sites that are snowfall January/City specific. So, I was hoping that someone here might either: have a good site I could go to, or perhaps be someone that just knows the area and might give suggestions. I was thinking west SC, perhaps Greenville. But I'd love to hear what you think! Perhaps north GA?

In case your thinking we all are crazy, I've only seen snow once, and the others have never seen snow! We sooo want snow. Snowball fights, snow angels...etc. We are craving cold and snow, and really hope that we can come up with suggestions for locations that are only a days drive away (6 - 9 hours), as we only have one weekend to dedicate to this!

Thanks to everyone who responds. I look forward to hearing suggestions!
I did a double take to look at the posting date - you will not find snow anywhere within driving distance in early October. There will be snow on rare occasions in the NC mountains in November.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:03 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I did a double take to look at the posting date - you will not find snow anywhere within driving distance in early October.
However, the OP said they'd be doing the road trip in January. Here are a couple of links on skiing in the southern Appalachians:

backcountry skiing in the Appalachian Mountains

Appalachian Ski Mountain - Blowing Rock, North Carolina ski resort featured on SkiSoutheast.com

The Smokies are the highest mountains in the Appalachian chain, and as you hike up them, the climate and ecosystem becomes increasingly northern ... you start out in the valleys in a southern hardwood forest, but as you reach the summit, you might as well be in Canada. The average January snowfall at Clingman's Dome, for example, is 18", and the road to it is closed in the winter months. So yeah, you can get major snow in the Smokies so I think a trip to NC would be the OP's best bet.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:31 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,380,209 times
No snow yet in WNC? Wrong.

October 1, 2011...

Record Snow Falls In NC Mountains - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina