Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 10:40 AM

21 posts, read 53,367 times

Advertisements

I actually like all the metros of SC. All three are gorgeous cities.

Greenville - I did fall in love with its downtown. Im a sucker for waterfalls. Its a nice city. And I get the impression from a lot of the board members that its the greatest city ever, so apparently there is something to like.

Charleston - Definitely the SC metro with the most culture. While it's definitely not without problems, there is no end to this city. I sometimes make the hour and a half drive just to lay on the beach at night.

Columbia - I'll admit, I prefer Lexington over Columbia. However, you cant look at this city and not see a bright future here. So many charming neighborhoods that are all distinct in and its so easy to hop on the interstate and ride anywhere from here. I dont know if I'll spend the rest of my life here, but I wouldnt mind it if I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 02:16 PM

12,905 posts, read 18,756,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
And apparently, all of us here in Charleston don't even know you exist.
Y'all need to get out more.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:24 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
You guys now so little about Greenville.
Can you tell us more about Greenville?

Old 10-31-2011, 08:57 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,321,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Can you tell us more about Greenville?
Plenty of info available. Based on some of the stereotypes I've seen here, some of you need to do research.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:26 AM

Greenville has overlays of excellence.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:39 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Y'all need to get out more.
I was actually joking because someone said people in Charleston seem to act like the rest of the state doesn't exist. I lived in the Upstate for seven years. Personally, I think all areas of South Carolina are wonderful and we have such unique personalities to all areas of our state but our hospitality seems to be the very unifying theme to all of our residents! Smiling faces, beautiful places!!

Old 11-01-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I was actually joking because someone said people in Charleston seem to act like the rest of the state doesn't exist. I lived in the Upstate for seven years. Personally, I think all areas of South Carolina are wonderful and we have such unique personalities to all areas of our state but our hospitality seems to be the very unifying theme to all of our residents! Smiling faces, beautiful places!!
You are so right.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:09 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I've lived all over the South and have never experienced so much "competition" between cities/areas in a state - just look at the recent debate/controversy regarding the new medical school in Greenville, Southwest Airlines, etc etc.

Some general comments:

I prefer to have easy access to the mountains and that's one of the reasons why I chose Greenville. It's a great place to raise a family.

As for Columbia - I've worked and visit there occasionally - I think it's a wonderful city with great amenities (Riverbanks Zoo, USC, etc) - the Summers are just too hot and it doesn't get any snow.

As for Charleston - I do sense some arrogance with Charlestonians and, at times, I doubt they even know the Upstate exists.
Then you have the competition between neighborhoods and sections of the county ie Mt. Pleasant vs West Ashley or James Island etc. It is really silly and small minded I think.

I've never seen anything like it either anywhere where I've lived in various parts of the country. In those places there have been substantial or even big cities close by as well as national recognized universities and Ivy League schools where all the surrounding towns would benefit from the amenities.

South Carolina is really just a big rural state with no real cities . Maybe it is because the few tiny cities there are are SO SPREAD out with none of them offering what bigger cities offer,you get a lot of petty small minded thinking from some people as a result.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:11 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmogonal View Post
I actually like all the metros of SC. All three are gorgeous cities.

Greenville - I did fall in love with its downtown. Im a sucker for waterfalls. Its a nice city. And I get the impression from a lot of the board members that its the greatest city ever, so apparently there is something to like.

Charleston - Definitely the SC metro with the most culture. While it's definitely not without problems, there is no end to this city. I sometimes make the hour and a half drive just to lay on the beach at night.

Columbia - I'll admit, I prefer Lexington over Columbia. However, you cant look at this city and not see a bright future here. So many charming neighborhoods that are all distinct in and its so easy to hop on the interstate and ride anywhere from here. I dont know if I'll spend the rest of my life here, but I wouldnt mind it if I did.
Didn't you forget Myrtle Beach and what about Beaufort?

Old 11-03-2011, 01:56 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,321,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Then you have the competition between neighborhoods and sections of the county ie Mt. Pleasant vs West Ashley or James Island etc. It is really silly and small minded I think.

I've never seen anything like it either anywhere where I've lived in various parts of the country. In those places there have been substantial or even big cities close by as well as national recognized universities and Ivy League schools where all the surrounding towns would benefit from the amenities.

South Carolina is really just a big rural state with no real cities . Maybe it is because the few tiny cities there are are SO SPREAD out with none of them offering what bigger cities offer,you get a lot of petty small minded thinking from some people as a result.
Huh? Spread out to me, are the Dakotas, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina