Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 11:44 AM

6 posts, read 9,384 times

Advertisements

Retired 66&65 hoping to move to the Myrtle Beach area from Ct. . Have no knowledge of the area. Any guidance as to what places to stay away from or where to look. Would like low crime,affordable housing,gated or 55+. We may be retired but not dead yet would like night life. Southern NC also possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 11:51 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,537,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerjoe View Post
...hoping to move to (anywhere).
Have no knowledge of the area.
Sell your current home and put the net proceeds into CD's.
Rid yourselves of all but the best things you own; put this remainder into storage.

Drive somewhere. Find a furnished place to rent for 3-6 months.
Spend some time there, look around, see what's what... and what isn't.

Repeat as needed until you're comfortable.
Go from there.

hth

Old 10-12-2011, 11:55 AM

14 posts, read 36,110 times
Default Have you been to Myrtle Beach????

Hi,

Well, I just moved from NC and visited Myrtle Beach two times while I lived there for 4 years. I wanted to see what all the "hype" of Myrtle Beach was so we went as a family. Well, I have NO ON EARTHLY idea what the big deal is about this city. Personally, I liked Charleston better. Myrtle Beach is PACKED with everyone from everywhere!! It's a melting pot of all kinds and it's so commercial. It's not my idea of retirement or relaxing. I would have to say that you must truly visit it for a week, see how it "feels" and if you still like it move there. I just can't see myself retiring there. Maybe Virginia would be another option? Maybe even some other beaches in GA? The second time I went which was back in August it was no different than the first time and this time I was by myself. I walked the beach, enjoyed the moon and that was about it. I didn't care for the trash on the beach nor the short shoreline (from the hotel to the water). There have been shark sightings there and again, it was busy with people and one hotel told me some of the hotels (lower scale) were having bed bug problems in the area. EWWW! I did see many hotels that could use a bull dozer as they were trashy looking. I don't really know where to suggest when it comes to beaches in the south because in actuality I don't care for them. They are too sticky, too humid and polluted. I now live in ME and I just love it up here. Likely though when I get old and retire I will move back south somewhere for the warmer weather again but I am happy to have a more "scenic" life. We have lived inland most of our life so being near a beach is breathtaking!! I will tough the winters! Best wishes and good luck on your decision but really rent first if you can rather than buy something. You might see that you don't like it as much as you thought you would.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:06 PM

267 posts, read 1,016,559 times
Yes, Myrtle Beach is very commercial, but if you live in the right area you can avoid most of that. I live around the Market Common area, which is a trendy area with night life, sports, parks, city gym and festivals. There are different neighborhoods around the immediate area, so there is something for everyone. We do most of our errands right in the Market Common, Socastee and in Surfside. So we avoid most of that tourist hoopla.... Also, we are quite close to the beach here.

Myrtle Beach is a mixed bag and I agree with the above poster that Charleston is a better city. But, Myrtle Beach is much more affordable and you can get close to the ocean for alot less money.

What I don't like about Myrtle Beach is that it is set up for the tourists and that is all the chamber of commerce and the local governments care about. Despite the large northern presence, you won't find things such as ice rinks here because the "Good ol Boy's" who run the place don't care about facilitating "Northern Activities". You also won't find different specialty shops. If you want to find any culture here, you have to really look for it.

If you want to lie around the beach and get a home for a reasonable price, this may do. But, if you are looking for something more, look at some other places so you won't want to pull up stake like I do in the near future....

Old 10-12-2011, 09:08 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,929,276 times
Although, I really like Myrtle Beach, I was going to suggest Charleston as well. Myrtle Beach kind of reminds of the boardwalks up north if that helps any. There are a ton of things to do but I think maybe it's more geared towards the younger crowd. They have lots of places like Ripley's Believe it or Not, haunted house, kids museums, etc. I like Broadway at the Beach and there is Bearfoot Landing. To me, it's more family oriented and can get packed at times. I know a lot of snowbirds go to Surfside Beach.

Charleston seems more upscale but more expensive. I would consider it for the mature crowd. Another option would be Savannah, GA.

I would take advise from Mr Rational and rent first. Then, you can look around and do research.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:25 AM

That's the plan

Old 10-13-2011, 12:21 PM

37,804 posts, read 41,557,219 times
I would also look into Wilmington, NC. Not as touristy as Charleston, Myrtle Beach, and Savannah, but still cut from the same cloth with lots to offer.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:28 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,804,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
...Repeat as needed until you're comfortable.
Go from there...
Wow, some good advice actually showed up on here. Reps to ya', MrRational. It's rare for any rational thoughts to appear in this forum. The only comment I might add is to stretch the rental to at least 6 months. For at least 3 months, you're still a tourist, and being a tourist in MB, even a long-term one, is very much different from being a resident.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:02 AM

The idea was to stay for at least 3 mo. The idea was to get some info on towns/cities 10 to 20 miles inland. Someplace like Conway

Old 10-18-2011, 12:16 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,413,730 times
Charleston area (Mount Pleasant, Summerville) there is so much to do here. For 55+ I recommend Del Webb at Cane Bay. But many neighborhoods in this area have all ages and would be a great fit.
Message me if you'd like any info on this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina