Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 05:23 AM

36 posts, read 103,750 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have two young kids and we are trying to find a nice hometown to settle down in. We've lived in CT, NY, CO, Seattle, and FL recently. We are currently baseless and are looking into South Carolina as a potential place to move to, based on the availability of houses in our price range (150-175K ish). We might take a small loan to get a house if we fall in love with something slightly over our budget, but we wouldn't want to go over 250K at the extreme.

We have to be near a VA hospital - this is essential. The husband can have up to several appointments per week so we don't want to be constantly commuting.

We want to be somewhere kind of rural - no immediate neighbors, but have the option to go into town when needed - something historical, ice-cream-shop-and-church-and-inn kind of a downtown, not a McDonalds-gas station-and-Walmart sort of town. I'm from Europe originally and still feel the best in areas that have nice architecture, etc. We also plan on homeschooling.

We would prefer an area that is lower COL since we live on a fixed income for the most part supplemented by working from home. We're moderately comfortable right now, but if something happens to the income in the future and it becomes lower we don't want to be in trouble paying bills.

It'd be great if we could live near a scenic area.

I'm also concerned about reports of hate crimes against foreigner/Hispanic immigrants. We're not Hispanic culturally but we have a very obviously Hispanic last name and my husband and kids are darker skinned, and I'm teaching the kids Hungarian, etc. We have experienced varying degrees of subtle racism in different areas of the country, mostly it has been a non-issue but I've been reading some scary things about South Carolina - and we are not interested in moving to a city so I guess I'm a little creeped out about moving to the middle of nowhere where there's no diversity at all. We're not Republican, mainstream Christian, etc either so that's another thing that's worrying me, culturally, but I'm probably overthinking it? I don't mind for myself, but I'm more worried about the kids as they grow up, I don't want them to be the outcasts. I'm fine with being an outcast. =P

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 08:08 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,662,315 times
Many consider the VA Hospital/Facility in downtown Charleston to be one of the best in the country. I say this based my friends that have used it and some of the MD's I know on its staff. You will also find that Charleston and the Low Country have a more open minded, liberal attitude then many other parts of SC.

There is also a large VA Facility in Columbia so this might well become the traditional arguement of Columbia versus Charleston.....LOL

In your price range ($150K) you could live closer (like within one mile) of the VA FAcility in Columbia then in Charleston. Your price range ($150K) will push you out about 10-15 miles from downtown Charleston.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:26 PM

899 posts, read 2,286,774 times
Yeah - if you need to be close to a VA Hospital as opposed to just a VA Outpatient Clinic, then you'll have to look close to either Columbia or Charleston.

There are plenty of small towns around the state like what you are describing - though you may have a slight drive to get to where the hospitals are. Two that come to mind that would be somewhat close to the Dorn VA in Columbia are Sumter and Camden - but it would probably be somewhere between 40mins-1hour from either to the VA.

If it's not incredibly important to live somewhere where life revolves around a historical downtown (and that doesn't really exist anymore anyway) you could find a nice neighborhood in a quieter suburban part of Lexington or Richland County, be close to the VA Medical Center as well as all the typical shopping and dining amenities most people like.

As for the Charleston area, the housing prices would be more - but Summerville is a nice town that might be like what you are describing plus there are lots of transplants there as well.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:57 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,961,705 times
My husband prefers the Dorn VA Med Ctr in Columbia ... my brother, retired Navy, relocated to the Low Country for access to the Charleston VA Med Ctr.

Housing and the COL may be higher in the Charleston area as so many people are relocating to the Low Country.

Check out Irmo, Gaston, Winnsboro, Ridgeway all less than 30 miles from the Columbia VA. Summerville and Goose Creek in the 'burbs of Charleston. Living on a fixed income, as you look at locations be sure and check out the county property tax rates. If your husband is 100% disable he should receive the homestead exemption on your primary dwelling only. No exemption on vehicles, motorcycles, boats or other toys. The property tax rates do vary by county.

P. S. You don't want to live within a mile of the Columbia VA Med Center. LOL

Old 02-10-2012, 08:25 AM

3 posts, read 3,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyyrah View Post
My husband and I have two young kids and we are trying to find a nice hometown to settle down in. We've lived in CT, NY, CO, Seattle, and FL recently. We are currently baseless and are looking into South Carolina as a potential place to move to, based on the availability of houses in our price range (150-175K ish). We might take a small loan to get a house if we fall in love with something slightly over our budget, but we wouldn't want to go over 250K at the extreme.

We have to be near a VA hospital - this is essential. The husband can have up to several appointments per week so we don't want to be constantly commuting.

We want to be somewhere kind of rural - no immediate neighbors, but have the option to go into town when needed - something historical, ice-cream-shop-and-church-and-inn kind of a downtown, not a McDonalds-gas station-and-Walmart sort of town. I'm from Europe originally and still feel the best in areas that have nice architecture, etc. We also plan on homeschooling.

We would prefer an area that is lower COL since we live on a fixed income for the most part supplemented by working from home. We're moderately comfortable right now, but if something happens to the income in the future and it becomes lower we don't want to be in trouble paying bills.

I'm also concerned about reports of hate crimes against foreigner/Hispanic immigrants. We're not Hispanic culturally but we have a very obviously Hispanic last name and my husband and kids are darker skinned, and I'm teaching the kids Hungarian, etc. We have experienced varying degrees of subtle racism in different areas of the country, mostly it has been a non-issue but I've been reading some scary things about South Carolina - and we are not interested in moving to a city so I guess I'm a little creeped out about moving to the middle of nowhere where there's no diversity at all. We're not Republican, mainstream Christian, etc either so that's another thing that's worrying me, culturally, but I'm probably overthinking it? I don't mind for myself, but I'm more worried about the kids as they grow up, I don't want them to be the outcasts. I'm fine with being an outcast. =P

Anyone?
We have lived in Lexington county sc for 10 years now and are relocating North. We have our home for sale in a quiet mixed neighborhood. We are about a 20 minute commute to downton Columbia so there are things pretty close by. We have a large lot 1 master bedroom and 2 smaller bedrooms, one I used for a study and my wife has many crafts or it would be good for 2 kids. Its a good retirement home or starter home at 77k. Single home financing.

You can check our house at (note: copy only the web adress into IE taking out the URL stuff;

http://www.tourfactory.com/822190

It's less expensive here in SC. Our taxes a year are under 300.00 per year.
Some idea of home costs;

Electricity is 148 monthly average. With 2 kids it would probably be higher.
Water is 10.00 month City water. With 2 kids would probably be higher.
garbage service is $ 45.00 for 3 months service.
Gasoline is about $2.30 gallon right now.

Your husband can get to a VA Hospital going down hwy 77 off of 321, probably about 20 minutes also. We enjoy taking a trailer down to Edisto beach.

It is a pretty quiet mixed neighborhood, My wife and me are white and I have lived and work for the City of Columbia for 10 years now and haven't found very little racial bias. There is an undercurrent from the older people, white and black but nothing that is of much consequence. Just treat people good here and be friendly and they are pretty friendly.

When we looked to move here we looked for a quiet area we could afford with a quick commute into columbia and this filled our needs.

Our agent is Janet Loper, and she really works well and has listened to our needs, I'm sure she could help you find the best fit. She is very knowlegable with all the area's here in columbia and lexington. She may have more scenic area's around lake Murray but it is much more expensive. Good luck.

Last edited by gwgrassi; 02-10-2012 at 08:38 AM..

Old 02-11-2012, 09:27 AM

541 posts, read 2,137,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgrassi View Post
We have lived in Lexington county sc for 10 years now and are relocating North. We have our home for sale in a quiet mixed neighborhood. We are about a 20 minute commute to downton Columbia so there are things pretty close by. We have a large lot 1 master bedroom and 2 smaller bedrooms, one I used for a study and my wife has many crafts or it would be good for 2 kids. Its a good retirement home or starter home at 77k. Single home financing.

You can check our house at (note: copy only the web adress into IE taking out the URL stuff;

HOME ON LARGE LOT AWAITS YOU!! (822190)

It's less expensive here in SC. Our taxes a year are under 300.00 per year.
Some idea of home costs;

Electricity is 148 monthly average. With 2 kids it would probably be higher.
Water is 10.00 month City water. With 2 kids would probably be higher.
garbage service is $ 45.00 for 3 months service.
Gasoline is about $2.30 gallon right now.

Your husband can get to a VA Hospital going down hwy 77 off of 321, probably about 20 minutes also. We enjoy taking a trailer down to Edisto beach.

It is a pretty quiet mixed neighborhood, My wife and me are white and I have lived and work for the City of Columbia for 10 years now and haven't found very little racial bias. There is an undercurrent from the older people, white and black but nothing that is of much consequence. Just treat people good here and be friendly and they are pretty friendly.

When we looked to move here we looked for a quiet area we could afford with a quick commute into columbia and this filled our needs.

Our agent is Janet Loper, and she really works well and has listened to our needs, I'm sure she could help you find the best fit. She is very knowlegable with all the area's here in columbia and lexington. She may have more scenic area's around lake Murray but it is much more expensive. Good luck.
Please share where you are getting gas for $2.30 per gallon here!

Old 02-25-2012, 06:07 AM

3 posts, read 3,576 times
Default Gas location price

On hwy 321 at raceway,
but this was when I posted, it's up to about $2.50 now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleite61 View Post
Please share where you are getting gas for $2.30 per gallon here!

Old 02-25-2012, 06:53 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,838,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgrassi View Post
On hwy 321 at raceway,
but this was when I posted, it's up to about $2.50 now.
I'm pretty sure you mean 3.50, there's no way you are paying 1.00 less than everyone else in sc

Old 02-25-2012, 01:22 PM

343 posts, read 1,045,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyyrah View Post

Anyone?
Quote:
Good luck with that. Those places are alive only in movies and people's memories.

Quote:
I'm also concerned about reports of hate crimes against foreigner/Hispanic immigrants. We're not Hispanic culturally but we have a very obviously Hispanic last name and my husband and kids are darker skinned, and I'm teaching the kids Hungarian, etc. We have experienced varying degrees of subtle racism in different areas of the country, mostly it has been a non-issue but I've been reading some scary things about South Carolina - and we are not interested in moving to a city so I guess I'm a little creeped out about moving to the middle of nowhere where there's no diversity at all.
You have little to worry about as far as "hate crimes" go. They are incredibly blown out of proportion and white-on-minority crime is practically nonexistent. Coupled with the fact that you're looking at living in the country (safer) and that you're a military family, I wouldn't even worry about it.

The area that springs to my mind is the Greenwood area. I believe there is a Veterans Hospital out there, and the small towns in that area are really nice.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:50 PM

423 posts, read 898,315 times
The only inpatient VA hospital in SC is in Columbia. The others in the areas near SC are Salisbury NC (outside of Charlotte), Asheville NC, and Augusta GA. Edgefield SC is a small historic town about 25 miles from Augusta GA. Fountain Inn SC is a nice small town about 20 miles outside of Greenville SC, which has an outpatient clinic, but you'd have to go about 90 miles to Columbia or 80 miles to Asheville for a VA medical center. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina