Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: who are you voting for? or hoping to win the SC primary?
Ron Paul 13 33.33%
Mitt Romney 13 33.33%
John Huntsman 1 2.56%
Newt Gingrich 8 20.51%
Rick Perry 1 2.56%
Rick Santorum 3 7.69%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:26 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,381,291 times

Advertisements

Voting in the other party's primary is a cheap trick, but it's certainly not a trick that only Democrats use. Heck, in the Wisconsin recall elections last year, the Republicans ran several fake Democratic candidates in the primary. Wisconsin Flyer Calls For Conservatives To Vote For Fake Candidate In Dem Primary | TPMDC

It's dirty politics, but it's not unique to one party.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:38 AM

205 posts, read 647,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Voting in the other party's primary is a cheap trick, but it's certainly not a trick that only Democrats use. Heck, in the Wisconsin recall elections last year, the Republicans ran several fake Democratic candidates in the primary. Wisconsin Flyer Calls For Conservatives To Vote For Fake Candidate In Dem Primary | TPMDC

It's dirty politics, but it's not unique to one party.
I totally agree. I can even remember when some Right Wing talk radio personalities were trying to get one state's Repubs to vote for Hillary over Obama in the last primary just to cause problems. Still as I said, I would never do it regardless.

I think the Dems have the grasp on outright election fraud though. Dead people voting, forged petitions, trading food and beverages for votes, etc.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:59 AM

12,883 posts, read 18,741,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Adventurer View Post
So you are saying the Federal Government is right? At least with states rights you can move to a state that fits your beliefs. With the Federal Government, you have very little freedom. A great example of abuse of power would be the Patriot Act, NDAA and now the EEA. Oh yeah, and can't forget SOPA.
Why should a person who loves the state he or she was born and raised in and still lives in have to leave it because of backward legislators who sometimes have to be forced to do as the federal government says in order for everyone in the state to have the same rights?

Old 01-18-2012, 10:00 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,963,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Hey CW - I agree wid ya' on the media and the GOP upper echelon, but can't say I've seen it with the democrats. I think most democrats feel like Romney is the biggest threat to defeating Obama, particularly now that Huntsman has backed out. At one time, Newt would have been a serious candidate, but IMO he's carrying way too much baggage along for the ride. As you stated, Paul has appeal to a small % of voters but not enough to garner many electoral votes. Can you really imagine most non-political independents voting for Perry or Santorum? Ain't gonna happen.

I might be wrong, but I suspect most serious democrats would be delighted to see anybody but Romney come out of this circus.
PD I don't think so ... the Dems .... ohhhhh Romney nooooo ... they don't do that with the rest of the candidates ... because they are ready for Romney.

Romney: We need to repeal Obamacare
Obama: But Mitt we designed Obamacare after your Romneycare
Romney: We need to cut taxes
Obama: But Mitt you raised taxes and fees by a billion dollars which decimated the Massachusetts economy.

Obama and his campaign leaders have plenty of material to draw from on Romney ... Companies and jobs destroyed while working for Bain while making millions, I don't know if the Obama admin would use the Mormon religion but who knows. Mitt's grandfather had five wives and was run out of Utah and settled in Mexico where Mitt's father was born. The flipping and flopping that I am sure they will use. The Dems hit a gold mine with Willard and they will be coming on strong ... and dirty!

Paul can't do it, Santorum won't be able to do it, it would take a miracle for Perry to do anything ... that just leaves Willard & Newt ... actually we don't have much do we. LOL

Did you see the movie "Pretty Woman" ... Edward Lewis is Romney!

Old 01-18-2012, 11:45 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,017,533 times
my frustration with politics the past couple years, highlighted by the barrage of negative ads between the Republican hopefuls..... is that if there is no common majority between the President and the House/Senate then more years of gridlock and finger pointing can be on it's way.
Balancing power between offices can be a good thing, but if no common ground can ever be found then nothing can be accomplished. Same for either party. Obama was not able to get thru items he wanted; and if we get a Republican in the Oval Office but Dems take back over power elsewhere that person could hit the same brick wall... and we'll never know if he/she could truly have made a difference.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:33 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,963,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
my frustration with politics the past couple years, highlighted by the barrage of negative ads between the Republican hopefuls..... is that if there is no common majority between the President and the House/Senate then more years of gridlock and finger pointing can be on it's way.
Balancing power between offices can be a good thing, but if no common ground can ever be found then nothing can be accomplished. Same for either party. Obama was not able to get thru items he wanted; and if we get a Republican in the Oval Office but Dems take back over power elsewhere that person could hit the same brick wall... and we'll never know if he/she could truly have made a difference.
You are right ... in addition to all the drama they put us through!!

But prior to the last mid-term election Obama had the House and Senate and with that power they could have pushed anything through ... then again they had to play politics in fear of losing seats.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:53 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc2sc778 View Post
...I think the Dems have the grasp on outright election fraud though. Dead people voting, forged petitions, trading food and beverages for votes, etc.
No way, not in SC. Not even close. Besides, there aren't enough dems in SC to really matter. We're the state that elected Mz. Nikki as guvnah, for god's sakes. Besides, SC dems aren't that sophisticated. Remember, we're the folks that nominated Alvin Greene to run for Senate in 2010. Now, I know some folks who are convinced that was a repub dirty trick, but I not one of 'em.

If you want to talk about the masters of dirty tricks, ask McCain about the 2000 SC primary, or Kerry about the 2004 swiftboating assault. Cheeney and his lapdog Dubyah are truly the heroes of political dirty tricks, rivaled only by perhaps the Nixon Mafia.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:05 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Did you see the movie "Pretty Woman" ... Edward Lewis is Romney!
LOL!! I hear ya'! And I agree with what you're saying, but by the time the election rolls around both candidates will have plenty of dirt on their opponent, whoever it is. If they don't, they'll make it up.

I guess I have a little different take on it. IMO, primaries are all about the activists and the far left/right. They're the groups who make all the noise and garner all the media attn. Neither of 'em, however, have enough votes to control an election. The vast majority of Americans consider themselves moderates or independents, and they have enough of a life not to spend too much time worrying about primaries. They may or may not vote in 'em, but they really don't get serious until they know who the actual candidates are. Thankfully, these are the folks who actually determine who will be our next prez. I just think this group will view Newt as old news/damaged goods, and I just can't see them relating to Paul, Perry or Santorum. Then again, what do I know...

Quote:
But prior to the last mid-term election Obama had the House and Senate and with that power they could have pushed anything through...
Nah, that's a fallacy. A majority doesn't do you any good in the Senate unless you can control 60 votes, enough to block filibusters or any other stalling strategies. That's been demonstrated over and over. To control the gov't, a party must have the oval office, a majority in the house, and a super majority in the senate. In today's environment, that's a scary thought.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:13 PM

205 posts, read 647,294 times
Quote:
No way, not in SC. Not even close.
Really, what about this then? My gut tells me most of these 900 dead voters were probably voting Democrat. We will have to wait and see I guess. Considering the Dem's track record of voter fraud in other states, it should not be hard to understand why I would be thinking that.

South Carolina DMV Says 900 Dead People Voted

Quote:
If you want to talk about the masters of dirty tricks, ask McCain about the 2000 SC primary, or Kerry about the 2004 swiftboating assault. Cheeney and his lapdog Dubyah are truly the heroes of political dirty tricks, rivaled only by perhaps the Nixon Mafia.
Political tricks/tactics and voter/election fraud by casting a vote with the name of a dead person or picking up someone off the streets and telling them who to vote for are 2 different things. I was referring to the latter. No party is clean when it comes to questionable tactics.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:13 AM

150 posts, read 577,135 times
I just want to give a thanks for all the support Ron Paul has gotten from many internet forums including this one. He needs all the help he can get. Isn't it sickening at the lack of mainstream media coverage Paul gets? After the debate last night on Anderson Cooper 360, Ron Paul wasn't mentioned until the 54th minute of a 60 minute program, in which they said "Mitt Romney is in it for the long haul and so is Ron Paul." THAT WAS IT. There was no further discussion on how well he did and what not.

And maybe some people read this and I hope it changes your mind on who to vote for... but last night Rick Santorum threw a curve ball at Paul stating that Paul wants it to be up to the State to use law against abortion and whatnot, when back in 2003, Santorum made this comment:

Quote:
SANTORUM: I've been very clear about that. The right to privacy is a right that was created in a law that set forth a (ban on) rights to limit individual passions. And I don't agree with that. So I would make the argument that with President, or Senator or Congressman or whoever Santorum, I would put it back to where it is, the democratic process. If New York doesn't want sodomy laws, if the people of New York want abortion, fine. I mean, I wouldn't agree with it, but that's their right. But I don't agree with the Supreme Court coming in.
Link: USATODAY.com - Excerpt from Santorum interview

Is that not what Dr. Paul said?

Ron Paul has had the SAME MESSAGE for over 30 years, he has experience and a view on life none of these other candidates have. A Wall Street Journalists said a few days ago, that Ron Paul's economic plan would provide the largest percent of job increase this country has ever seen.

Maybe if he cursed at the elderly or grabbed the rear of a young girl on the college campuses he attends for his speeches he would actually be talked about before and after the debates, but this fine gentleman has NO trash in his past the other candidates can bring up to use against him. Yeah it's fun to talk about sometimes and criticize other people for doing and not doing but it's bad for the people in this country, republican or democrat, to elect such a figure to lead them in day to day issues.

So please, Ron Paul supporters of SC, encourage your friends and family to get OUT tomorrow and vote. Not many people know this, but up here in Virginia it's just a 2 man race of Romney and Paul since Newt and Santorum failed to provide enough signatures to get their name put on the VA ballot.

President Dr. Paul for 2012!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina