Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 10:41 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico020 View Post
Yeah but like a previous poster said, If it wasn't such a fight to annex NE Columbia, Forest Acres, and Arcadia Lakes then Columbia would be a lot higher in population per the city limits.
I've already said that...but that doesn't matter because we were talking about "urban" populations and all those places you just named would be included in Cola's urban total.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 02:38 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
They were a little over 1,000 apart in 2010, but now 5,000 apart? Even though the Lowcountry cluster has been growing faster than the Midlands cluster. I don't know. Maybe Cola has a small lead, but I don't exactly what all they're including in Charleston. They may or may not be including say Monks Corner.

So according to this 85% of Charleston is urban and Columbia 77%. Hmm, Idk. I guess thats about right. I guess with some measures, Columbia is, and others Charleston. But i'll say bottom line, theyre both (uncanny-ly) close. That's very ironic. Also ironic that soon, all 3 main metros will be sitting in the 800K range.

That also shows how much having Laurens and Anderson Co. in Greenville's metro affect them. This means Greenville metro is only 53% urban. That's pretty low.
Greenville is somewhat at a disadvantage when it comes to urbanized area population because Mauldin-Simpsonville is considered a completely separate UA, although it is obviously suburban Greenville and very much contiguous with Greenville's UA.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:25 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
They were a little over 1,000 apart in 2010, but now 5,000 apart? Even though the Lowcountry cluster has been growing faster than the Midlands cluster. I don't know. Maybe Cola has a small lead, but I don't exactly what all they're including in Charleston. They may or may not be including say Monks Corner.

So according to this 85% of Charleston is urban and Columbia 77%. Hmm, Idk. I guess thats about right. I guess with some measures, Columbia is, and others Charleston. But i'll say bottom line, theyre both (uncanny-ly) close. That's very ironic. Also ironic that soon, all 3 main metros will be sitting in the 800K range.

That also shows how much having Laurens and Anderson Co. in Greenville's metro affect them. This means Greenville metro is only 53% urban. That's pretty low.
Yes monts coner is included. Charleston metro is only 3 counties.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Yes monts coner is included. Charleston metro is only 3 counties.
You missed my point.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Greenville is somewhat at a disadvantage when it comes to urbanized area population because Mauldin-Simpsonville is considered a completely separate UA, although it is obviously suburban Greenville and very much contiguous with Greenville's UA.
Yeah thats weird, but redoing the math I get Gvilles metro at 67% urban. Laurens, Anderson, and Pickens really drives it down, especially Laurens.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:20 PM

12,902 posts, read 18,756,320 times
LOL. I asked Siri which is better - Charleston or Columbia. She said, "Sorry, Matt, I'm not feeling very decisive right now."

Old 05-25-2015, 10:07 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,321,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
LOL. I asked Siri which is better - Charleston or Columbia. She said, "Sorry, Matt, I'm not feeling very decisive right now."
Ask Google Now. You'll get a more accurate and solid answer. Lol.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Ask Google Now. You'll get a more accurate and solid answer. Lol.
That just brings me to City-data.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:16 AM

5,490 posts, read 8,321,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
That just brings me to City-data.
There you go. Lol. At least it can understand what you're asking. It didn't know the answer so it sent you to another source.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:09 AM

I have concluded that neither city is better than the other. I have never thought in terms of which city is better than any other anyway. I don't play that game. I have always only defended Columbia against those who try to tear it down. I have been called a Columbia sunshine-pumper. I have called it focusing on Columbia's positives in these threads and contacting the right people about what I perceived to be the negatives.

After more than 31 years of living in Columbia, I know every scene, every hill, every building, every corridor of buildings, every tree, every shrub and every flower bed. I have seen them over and over and over and over. They all give me a tremendous sense of what it feels like to be home. For many years I have been able "see Columbia for the first time," as I have called it, looking at the beautiful things visitors may or may not see, and hoping they don't notice the not-so-beautiful things.

When I have taken my admittedly rare trips to other places, I have seen their not-so-beautiful things along with their beautiful things. Every city has eyesores. Every city has blunders that make you ask, "What were they thinking?" I have always been relieved to see those unfortunate visual detractors in other places because they let me know I had been too hard on Columbia for its own visual detractors.

For those who have or haven't noticed my screen name change, I have some news. Yesterday I accepted a job offer in Charleston and we will be moving there in July. I look forward to letting a new city and its environs sink into my being, and my husband has always loved the beach. As for his love for cities, he has told me if something happens to me he thinks he's moving back to Aiken where he's from, even though he has been in Columbia since 1979. Aiken is indeed a gorgeous place with nice natives and plenty of economic diversity, but for me it's too small, for now anyway.

We're keeping our house in Columbia and will be driving back and forth to tend to it. If we can find the perfect tenant(s) by word-of-mouth to rent it and be good neighbors, we may do that. We are blessed to be able to keep it and worry about the details of what to do with it later. We aren't ruling out the possibility of moving back into it to live in the future.

If this comes as a shock to anyone, believe me that it comes as a shock to me, too. I have had the luxury of lounging around for more than four years, doing what I wanted to do when I wanted. I have had to follow no one else's schedule. About six months ago I started feeling like I needed to be doing something. Some people retire early and immediately feel like they've made a mistake and have to find something. Not me. It has taken me this long to feel like I want to go to work and be a part of something other than pure leisure and housework and gardening when I take a notion.

So my guilt finally got the best of me, but I figured - well, if I'm going to go back to someone else's schedule, I want a new playground for my off hours. And voila, I got a job in Charleston. My husband has put in some applications down there as well. So here we go. We're scared. We're running on adrenaline. But we're pumped for a new vibe, some new scenery and a chance to meet some new people. Who knows? Maybe we'll meet just the right people who are moving from Charleston to Columbia and need a cute house to rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina