U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 03:08 PM

7,355 posts, read 5,955,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Average Weather for Columbia, SC - Temperature and Precipitation

Average Weather for Charleston, SC - Temperature and Precipitation

Well perhaps some facts might help to convince you that Columbia is hotter. Something everyone else in SC knows.
I know that the temperature is hotter in Columbia on most summer days, but the heat index in Charleston is higher on most summer days, and the heat index measures how hot it FEELS. If I hated hot weather I'd care more about how hot it felt than how hot the thermometer said it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 03:58 PM

11,180 posts, read 7,068,146 times
Quote:
I think everyone knows that Columbia is hotter, and it is landlocked. Charleston is the better of the two.
If a city is in a coastal state, I don't really think of it is "landlocked" particularly if it has relatively quick access to the coast, which Columbia does.

I absolutely love Charleston, but its relative isolation from larger cities like Charlotte and Atlanta would make me a little crazy.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:15 AM

377 posts, read 306,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I think you should spend a few days in both cities. While Charleston has the ocean and historic attractions, Columbia has 3 rivers, Lake Murray, Congaree National Park and many more major college sports options. If you want to go to a bigger city I can get to Charlotte in an hour and 15 minutes and Atlanta in 3 hours and 15 minutes. Don't sell Columbia's arts scene short - we have a great medium-sized art museum, the State Museum, great local theatre and the Nickelodeon independent cinema (Indie Grits Film Festival going on currently). I love visiting Charleston, but Columbia is a place I'd rather live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCreek1997 View Post
Basically....

If you are into travelling more and dont care about the beach too much, Columbia probably is better since it's closer to other big cities.

If you dont travel from your home city much and love the beach, Charleston is probably better. Savannah, Myrtle Beach, Wilmington and Jacksonville are not too far of drives from Charleston, but all are coastal cities as well and offer the same type stuff.

As for sports....which is my passion....

Columbia has USC of course. SEC football! And closer to ATL and Charlotte for pro sports.

Charleston has no major college or pro team, BUT has a LOT of mid-major college and minor league teams. For great mid-major college football, they have The Citadel and Charleston Southern. College of Charleston basketball is probably better than USC/Clemson's basketball most years. All three colleges have solid baseball teams. The Charleston Riverdogs and SC Stingrays are two of the best minor league baseball/hockey experiences anywhere imo due to the environment, winning, etc. They used to have an arena football team here and an NBDL basketball team, but both folded up. Charleston has far better golfing, but I dont like golf so who cares!

As for recreational sports, the Ravenel Bridge jogging path just may be the most scenic running path in the state, if not the South. Amazing. Kayaking is awesome, fishing of course. NO hiking anywhere though, since there are no mountains.

I think Columbia and Charleston have far more in common than most people know anyway. One has a beach, the other doesn't, not a big deal unless you MUST have the beach. Charleston has more history, Columbia has more corporate job opportunity. Both have areas of high crime. Both have drunken frat boys, except Cola's are still in college, Charlestons were in college 15 years ago but still go to the frat parties.

Both are awesome places to live. Can't really go wrong with either. But I can say for sure, Columbia IS HOTTER than Charleston in the summer. Charleston is like the devils oven. But Columbia is like taking the devils toaster, putting it in his oven, the pushing the switch down.
These two posts are probably the fairest comparisons between the two you are going to get on this forum.

Based upon your housing budget of $300k, you are not going to be living on the water in Charleston, nor on the peninsula. The housing costs in Charleston, particularly in the nice areas, are significantly more than Columbia. $300k will buy you a very nice place in Columbia, either close to downtown (if the city-vibe is more your thing) or in a lake-access community (if you prefer the water).

Charleston is a wonderful city. It has a beautiful downtown with an abundance of fine dining and arts/culture. If you need to be close to the beaches/coast, it is a city that has no peers. If I were going on vacation, I would go to Charleston over Columbia every time.

However, when it comes to a place to live, Columbia is very often sold short. There are plenty of things going on, sometimes you just have to look for them. It is also a city on the rise, and the urban core has improved dramatically over the past 10 years or so. As has been noted, it gets HOT in the summer, and its surrounded by 3 interstates, so you have easy access to Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville via 26 West, Charlotte via 77 North, Myrtle Beach via 20 East, Atlanta via 20 West, and Charleston via 26 East. The arts and culture scene in Columbia is much better than one would expect from a city its size.

The best advice I can give is to spend some time in and around the Columbia area, pick up a copy of the Free Times, and do some exploring. You might find something you like. Be sure to spend some time downtown, but also in the burbs. Same with Charleston, spend time out of the tourist areas/beaches and in the neighborhoods you can afford. You can't go wrong with either city. Although Columbia will not win any beauty contests next to Charleston, there is enough going on for it to be the largest metro area in the state.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:59 AM

2,953 posts, read 1,779,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGamecock View Post
These two posts are probably the fairest comparisons between the two you are going to get on this forum.

Based upon your housing budget of $300k, you are not going to be living on the water in Charleston, nor on the peninsula. The housing costs in Charleston, particularly in the nice areas, are significantly more than Columbia. $300k will buy you a very nice place in Columbia, either close to downtown (if the city-vibe is more your thing) or in a lake-access community (if you prefer the water).

Charleston is a wonderful city. It has a beautiful downtown with an abundance of fine dining and arts/culture. If you need to be close to the beaches/coast, it is a city that has no peers. If I were going on vacation, I would go to Charleston over Columbia every time.

However, when it comes to a place to live, Columbia is very often sold short. There are plenty of things going on, sometimes you just have to look for them. It is also a city on the rise, and the urban core has improved dramatically over the past 10 years or so. As has been noted, it gets HOT in the summer, and its surrounded by 3 interstates, so you have easy access to Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville via 26 West, Charlotte via 77 North, Myrtle Beach via 20 East, Atlanta via 20 West, and Charleston via 26 East. The arts and culture scene in Columbia is much better than one would expect from a city its size.

The best advice I can give is to spend some time in and around the Columbia area, pick up a copy of the Free Times, and do some exploring. You might find something you like. Be sure to spend some time downtown, but also in the burbs. Same with Charleston, spend time out of the tourist areas/beaches and in the neighborhoods you can afford. You can't go wrong with either city. Although Columbia will not win any beauty contests next to Charleston, there is enough going on for it to be the largest metro area in the state.
First, Charleston is an awesome city. There is nothing else like it in the south. And, economically, I do think it will lead SC in the next decade. Now, before Columbia and Greenville get mad, it will be close, all three metros have a good future. The only complaints that I have with Charleston are (1) the relative isolation from the large letros of Charlotte/Atlanta and (2) the high house prices of Old Town Mt Pleasant.

To add to this post from TxGamecock, I have never had to look too hard to find something going on in Columbia. The only complaint I have is that a lot of the destination places are spread out. But, I completely understand why. Having Edventure and the state museum on the river is great. I only wish I could replace Assembly St with the river.

Like you said, the art scene is thriving in Columbia. Someone recently posted an article from Charleston that suggests Columbia is on par with Charleston with regards to the arts. I am not sure how all of that is measured but, the suggestion from Charleston is a strong endorsement. And, I am glad that the arts is supported on all levels in Columbia. From the business community to USC, the arts are evident on all levels. A lot of the giving per capita assessments will overlook Columbia due to USC's direct involvement with the arts. Events like the Indie Grits Film Festival, 11 days showcasing southern filmmakers, shows the depth of Columbia's art scene. Columbia's problem here is that is needs to sell itself more. It would not hurt to showcase the city by sending out information packets to magazines as other cities have done.

Although there are no minor league teams, something that I think will change in the near future, whether a fan of USC or not, SEC athletics is always a good event. Williams Brice is a great football envorinment and watching a game at South Carolina's best ballpark can't be beat. Besketball???????? Hope it gets better. But in my opinion, I would much rather have major college athletics over minor league teams.

The restaurant scene in Columbia is great. There are many places which are as good as I have seen in Charlotte and I know many restaurants are looking to be in the market. Basil will be a great addition (can't say that enough, it is that good) and I know that Maverick Southern Kitchens would love to be in Columbia provided it is the right location. They are concentrating on the Charleston Cooks concept at the moment but, will revisit the restaurant scene. Terra and Motor Supply are some of my favorites.

I also recently found 701 Whaley. That is an awesome place for events., love the building. Anyone know what sit across the intersection from 701 Whaley, looks like an old mill.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:42 PM

7,355 posts, read 5,955,213 times
The two large mill buildings across the way from 701 Whaley are now apartments. At least one of them was Olympia Mill. I can't remember what the other one was if it wasn't part of Olympia Mill.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:54 PM

5,363 posts, read 2,163,536 times
Everyone keeps talking about the isolation of Charleston from large Metro communities like Charlotte, etc. Well it is only One and one half to two hours from Columbia, so that is no contest as far as concerned. If Columbia is close, what is another two hours???

Old 04-22-2012, 02:19 PM

11,180 posts, read 7,068,146 times
Quote:
Everyone keeps talking about the isolation of Charleston from large Metro communities like Charlotte, etc. Well it is only One and one half to two hours from Columbia, so that is no contest as far as concerned. If Columbia is close, what is another two hours???
LOL, that means it's twice as far away and is another four hours dedicated to driving. For me, the difference is that if I lived in Columbia, I could drive to Charlotte just to do a little shopping or attend a sporting event and drive back afterwards. If I lived in Charleston, it would more than likely be an overnight trip and that's more expensive.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:57 PM

1,941 posts, read 2,710,527 times
Well, Columbia is only an hour and a half from Greenville, while Charleston is about three hours from Greenville.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:35 AM

2,953 posts, read 1,779,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Well, Columbia is only an hour and a half from Greenville, while Charleston is about three hours from Greenville.
LOL, that settles it Charleston.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 AM

1,941 posts, read 2,710,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
LOL, that settles it Charleston.
Well played.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina