Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 10:47 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times

Advertisements

Born and raised in Orangeburg County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 08:54 AM

543 posts, read 2,363,665 times
Awesome!!! I love the whole geneaology thing as far as tracing your roots here. My family only has record of being here from 1805. Who knows, could have been here longer.
They started out in the Charleston area and made their way over in the Williamsburg and Horry county areas. My family were english/dutch/scottish.
It's amazing how much growth we have had in this state! When you talk to people they are like "you are a native to SC - that's rare anymore".

Old 09-07-2007, 09:56 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,678,259 times
Another native here. Born just across the border in Gaston County, NC, but raised in York County. I live north of the border now but I visit my folks a few times a month. I agree that York County has grown by leaps and bounds!

Old 09-09-2007, 10:03 PM

153 posts, read 715,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_gal98 View Post
Awesome!!! I love the whole geneaology thing as far as tracing your roots here. My family only has record of being here from 1805. Who knows, could have been here longer.
They started out in the Charleston area and made their way over in the Williamsburg and Horry county areas. My family were english/dutch/scottish.
It's amazing how much growth we have had in this state! When you talk to people they are like "you are a native to SC - that's rare anymore".
Thats true. They even have those "NATIVE" stickers now, with the Palmetto & Crescent for the "I" so that we can prove this rarity to everyone else

I'm a fellow native. Spartanburg born and raised. Family ties go back multiple generations- at least 5 or 6 in Spartanburg if not more, then who knows how many more in SC. One of these days I'll do that geneology thing and get some real numbers behind it.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:45 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Whenever I get back on my genealogy research I'm going to have to get ahold of all of ya'll. I've done quite a bit on my whole family along w/ my husbands and we both have roots in South Carolina. There is SOOOO much I want to know and find out and then go visit the places our forefathers were born, lived and died. Being a Native Texan I totally understand how ya'll feel about being a minority. It is kind of sad that there are not many "native" left in many areas. We visited South Carolina this summer but along the coast. I'm going to have to take a trip to the interior of the state for our family history lessons though.

Here are the cities/towns/counties that I know my ancestors and my husband came from. If anyone knows much about these places I'd LOVE to know more. Thanks

Pendleton District, SC early 1800's
Greenville, SC - Ninety Six District 1770
Craven, SC early 1800's
Laurens County, SC 1799
Anderson County, SC 1830

Old 09-10-2007, 06:40 PM

38 posts, read 120,275 times
I wasn't born in SC, and my family is really really OLD Virginia, but I grew up in SC, and my mother, father and 2 out of 3 brothers and their families still live in SC. One brother went "over the border" to Charlotte. I've gone the farthest, as I am now living in the general Seattle area. I grew up in Simpsonville area, and married and lived/worked in Greenville for years, before I bailed.

My family is really after me to move back "home". I can't imagine doing it, though I am eager to get out of this area. The real estate is outrageous here, I can't swim in the water, even though it is so clean, because I'd have hypothermia in 20 minutes! We do get less rain here than in Greenville, but I can't stand what the Greenville area, and especially Simpsonville, has become since I left. I go for a visit, am miserable in the weather, and the red clay soil in the upstate doesn't make me want to garden in it again! I am being honest here!

I'd love to try for a move back to the general area, but am thinking of the extreme corners of the mountains. Even so, I've gotten spoiled with no poisonous snakes here, and the thought of going back to looking for copperheads and cottonmouths is daunting. I just don't know if it is possible for me to "go home again". BTW, I've still "got the accent" even though I've been gone since 1989. I just turned 50 and we are getting ready to make a move for retirement.

Have any of you been gone a long time and then returned successfully?

Wandering Foot

Old 09-10-2007, 10:04 PM

153 posts, read 715,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Whenever I get back on my genealogy research I'm going to have to get ahold of all of ya'll. I've done quite a bit on my whole family along w/ my husbands and we both have roots in South Carolina. There is SOOOO much I want to know and find out and then go visit the places our forefathers were born, lived and died. Being a Native Texan I totally understand how ya'll feel about being a minority. It is kind of sad that there are not many "native" left in many areas. We visited South Carolina this summer but along the coast. I'm going to have to take a trip to the interior of the state for our family history lessons though.

Here are the cities/towns/counties that I know my ancestors and my husband came from. If anyone knows much about these places I'd LOVE to know more. Thanks

Pendleton District, SC early 1800's
Greenville, SC - Ninety Six District 1770
Craven, SC early 1800's
Laurens County, SC 1799
Anderson County, SC 1830
Thats all basicly the same area- Greenville, Laurens, Anderson, Pendleton... these were the last places to be settled in SC (particularly the Pendleton District). Pendleton was the seat before they carved Anderson, Pickens, and Oconee Counties out of it. Craven was a former District or Parish near the coast in colonial times. I'm not sure if there's a town by that name or not.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:42 PM

96 posts, read 443,540 times
i think craven is now colleton county. walterboro that area. changed over early 1800s

Old 09-11-2007, 05:21 PM

190 posts, read 742,810 times
Hubby and I are both natives and we recently moved back.
I like it here.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:45 AM

21 posts, read 178,070 times
I guess I'll put in my 2 cents, even though this post is dead

I was born in --eek-- Conway, the "redneck riviera" as the man at the visitor center called it when I stopped in to use the restrooms. I don't know why I wasn't born in MB since that's where my parents lived. I was raised in Myrtle Beach until I was about 7 years old. My mother was a West Virginian transplant to the area, and my father was raised in Socastee. His dad, my grandpa, not sure where he was from but he married my grandmother (who's Japanese) and relocated to Myrtle Beach after my dad was born and lived for a while in Okinawa. (I'm only a quarter Japanese.)

But that's pretty much it.

I like SC, except for the giant bugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina