U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-08-2012, 05:35 AM

6,094 posts, read 2,592,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Having lived over the years in Illinois, Virginia, Connecticut, and North Carolina, the worst racism I've encountered has been in Chicago and Boston ... not in the South. Hell, the Klan was more active in Connecticut when I lived there than it was in North Carolina, and Chicago's probably the most segregated city in the USA. Yes, I think it's an unfair stereotype.
I went to boarding school in Connecticut and I often felt the racism was much worse there than the South. So incredibly segregated; felt odd to me. I was often told by native Northerners that their impression was that the South was racist and that's what the teachers taught in school when I was there. Thus, I can understand the impression but it frustrates me because I know that it is indeed an unfair stereotype.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 08:57 AM

41 posts, read 47,475 times
I am a born and raised south carolina gal, and I can honestly say that racism has never been an issue here. I can't tell you what people say behind closed doors but in general we are more friendly to each other than racist. We are more integrated then the north or other places these days. BTW I am black, if that matters been all over the south specifically GA, SC, TN, AL etc and never had issues. Yes I think the south is unfairly stereotyped, but we cant change anyones mind unless they been here for themselves.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:28 PM

99 posts, read 97,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
GC

I might dispute great private schools but that said, many private schools in the south were formed so white folks did not have to send their children to school with "dem thar niggra kids".
In South Carolina, that is the case. Except for a few Catholic schools, South Carolina private schools were formed in the mid to late 60's to avoid white people from sending kids to mostly black schools. The racism is rampant in rural counties....

Here's just one example in Blackville, SC

Home Page

The area is nearly all black. But notice the school is nearly 100 percent white and they even set up an "annual giving fund" that only goes to white people. They only play other private schools that are 100 percent white in sports.

The private school system in South Carolina is racist.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:45 PM

895 posts, read 698,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gps29070 View Post
In South Carolina, that is the case. Except for a few Catholic schools, South Carolina private schools were formed in the mid to late 60's to avoid white people from sending kids to mostly black schools. The racism is rampant in rural counties....
A lot of Northern suburbs were founded as all-white enclaves so this isn't just a Southern phenomenon:

"Outside the traditional South—states historically dominated by slavery, where sundown towns [minorities need to be out of town after sundown] are rare—probably a majority of all incorporated places kept out African Americans [he's referring to recent history, not the ancient past] ...Sundown suburbs are found from Darien, Connecticut, to La Jolla, California, and are even more prevalent; indeed, most suburbs began life as sundown towns." -- from "Sundown Towns: A Hidden Dimension of American Racism" by James Loewen.

By the way, the Klan was reborn in the 1920s in mostly Northern states, including Illinois, Iowa, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey ... hardly the Old South.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:30 PM

152 posts, read 142,754 times
Yes.

Southern people who form private schools to avoid ****ty public ones are racist.
Northern people who form private schools to avoid ****ty public ones are not racist.

Which leads me to ask........why is it that in Charleston, with a very large number of expensive private schools, it seems like ALL the transplants are sending their kids to the mostly white private schools? Racist Northern transplants? Yes, of course.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:53 PM

99 posts, read 97,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber92 View Post
Do you feel racism is still big in your state? Do you feel that people stereotype the "south " as racist? Are there places you feel like a Mexican or Black or even a White man isn't welcomed.
The two biggest places for racism in South Carolina is the churches and the schools. Private schools in South Carolina are horribly racist, 99.9 percent white, and nearly all of them founded right when the state was ordered to de-segreate their public schools. Orangeburg county is a prime example of this, whites go to the private Orangeburg Prep, blacks go to the public school Orangeburg-Wilkinson High. Public School districts like Lexington-Richland 5 were specifically drawn so that rich white kids from Richland county wouldn't have to go to the same schools as blacks from Columbia.

Churches are almost either all white or all black with a few exceptions in the larger cities.

The flying of the confederate flags seems to have declined over the past 15 years, a positive sign.

As far as walking into the wrong neighborhood, no where near the problem of the cities up north like Baltimore, Washington, or Philadelphia. So in that area, South Carolina is better.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:56 AM

4,281 posts, read 4,335,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCreek1997 View Post
Yes.

Southern people who form private schools to avoid ****ty public ones are racist.
Northern people who form private schools to avoid ****ty public ones are not racist.

Which leads me to ask........why is it that in Charleston, with a very large number of expensive private schools, it seems like ALL the transplants are sending their kids to the mostly white private schools? Racist Northern transplants? Yes, of course.
I think the answer is that SC ranks in the bottom 3 or so of states for money spent per child on education regardless of the childs race.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:23 AM

761 posts, read 740,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCreek1997 View Post
Oh. Well, then why were private schools formed everywhere else in the nation??? To avoid "dem thar niggra kids"......or for more noble purposes? BTW, most of the private schools here are filled with the kids of Northern transplants. Guess they dont want their kids going to public schools with "dem thar" kids either, right?

Private schools like Academic Magnet, Ashley Hall, Porter Gaud, Bishop England, are as good as any private schools in the country. The private schools here were formed so parents could choose not to send their kids to ****ty public ones......probably same reason private schools exist everywhere in the US.
accufitgolf didn't say all private schools were formed to keep the races separate, he/she said many were formed and it's a well-documented fact that occurred after the Supreme Court's Brown decision. So the statement applies to private schools formed decades ago circa Brown and not newer ones. During the 1950's whole schools systems in Virginia shut down to prevent integration. The whites, at the time, were so racist they didn't want there kids to go to school at all if it meant they had to provide blacks with equal facilities. Are you really this ignorant of history or are you being purposely obtuse?

To give more perspective to the issue of South Carolina specifically, Bob Jones University did not repeal its ban on interracial relationships until the year 2000, so they kept it in effect into the 21st century.

Though racism exists everywhere, it seemed more pronounced in the South because that's where most black Americans lived during the Civil Rights struggles (1950's to 1960's) and that's where most of the violence, rioting, lynchings, and other murders occurred. It's the legacy that people are associating with the South, even though race relations have tremendously improved. It also doesn't help when the rest of the country still hears stories about school-sponsored segregated proms in Mississippi that still occur well into the 21st century.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:10 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,547,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I think the answer is that SC ranks in the bottom 3 or so of states for money spent per child on education regardless of the childs race.
i would add that there seems to be less $$ down here to pay into those districts. Coming from WI, we had much higher prop taxes (even after adding in auto and boat taxes here) but overall the school districts appeared to be better off. Higher gas taxes there but more $$ for road construction and repair, and so on... i'm not saying any state's schools are better then others, but having more funds (if used correctly) can not hurt.

back to the OP, we didnt have racism in any thoughts of the south when we relocated here. I've heard more "racial whispers" and behind the back comments abuot various minorities back home then ever down here. In fact i can remember the Klan trying to set up rallies on the capital grounds there, in the 3 years here i dont remember hearing much at all about them.

I'd say racism is more defined in a person than in a place; a racist is a racist no matter what their zip code is.

just my .02

Old 04-19-2012, 09:01 AM

302 posts, read 257,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber92 View Post
first let ne say I hope no one gets offended by this. I am trying to help my daughter with a school assignment. Since this is a South Carolina forum I thought it be a good post.
Do you feel racism is still big in your state? Do you feel that people stereotype the "south " as racist? Are there places you feel like a Mexican or Black or even a White man isn't welcomed.

Thank you all for your time. We are from Ohio and when we think of the south this is among the top 5 things we associate with it. We know there is racism everywhere.
Despite the confederate flag flying on the statehouse grounds, whenever I am down in SC, I get the vibe that there is less racial tension in the air compared to Ohio. I don't know what part of Ohio you are from or how familiar you are with Cincinnati, but Cincy isn't exactly known for black and whites holding hands and singing kumbaya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina