Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 01:04 PM

4 posts, read 11,970 times

Advertisements

I am researching a relocation to Aiken. I am attracted to the area because of its focus on horses. However, most of what I see and read suggests that Aiken is nearly 100% English riding disciplines... eventing, polo, jumping, etc. Are there many (any?) Western riders and/or Western equestrian events in Aiken?

Can anyone suggest another horse friendly community in SC that might be have a great representation of Western horses and riders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 02:23 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,766 times
Chrisl49,
I don't know what you are talking about.
You have to come down to Aiken and talk to the horse community and see events
that are here.
Then you will see your answers.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:52 AM

Butterfly4u, Thanks for your reply. I've been reading The Aiken Horse on-line for starters, including all the archived back issues. The only article I've found so far re: a Western discipline concerned itself with Texas, not Aiken or South Carolina. Everything else in the magazine, including the ads and photos, all appear to picture or be oriented to English. (I've got absolutely nothing against English, but I happen to ride Western.) I'm quite far away, so that's why I'm looking for feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Chrisl49,
I don't know what you are talking about.
You have to come down to Aiken and talk to the horse community and see events
that are here.
Then you will see your answers.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:19 PM

23 posts, read 44,240 times
We see lots of Western riders in Hitchcock Woods. Adona Schaffer has Wednesday night roping at her beautiful arena here. A friend who does team penning in New England came down for a visit last week and found a very well trained cutting horse at Creek Ranch and that horse shipped up north to him Sunday. There is a huge national reining futurity every year at the big entertainment complex in Augusta. Lots of natural horsemanship around. Many people own Mustangs. A group just went up to Road to the Horse in Murfreesboro. There's a Quarter Horse ranch that trains reining and cutting just outside of town. Haven't heard anything though about Western Pleasure in the area. I did eventing years ago but grew up Western and prefer it for trail riding. Oh, lots of organized trail riding events here. Poker rides and such. Some groups make a weekend of it and overnight. All seem welcome. So, depending on what you do Western, could be a lot for you here?

Old 04-18-2012, 05:51 PM

Hi EBV1, thanks SO much for all your great info. Just what I was looking for. Of course if anyone else wants to chime in as well, I'd be eager for additional views and opinions. But I very much appreciate your most helpful insights. If I relocate there, I didn't want to feel like a fish out of water. It sounds like that would not be the case.

BTW, do you ride much June through August? And lastly, do you have any comments about the bugs in the area?

Old 04-18-2012, 11:21 PM

Hey again! Bugs are non existent compared to New England. Where we are, no mosquitos, no black flies, no ticks. The flies are worse, but the swallows that nest in our barn eliminate them quite effectively after the babies hatch and they go into feeding overdrive. I don't even have to use flyspray during the summer here. That story would be different without our swallow population though. I don't ride much anymore, but could easily go out in the mornings in the summer months. There is usually a nice little breeze to mediate the heat. The hottest part of the day is late afternoon when the breeze drops and the humidity becomes oppresive. That's when I hose off and the horses tuck in right under the fans. There is an Aiken equine events calendar online that lists the organized trail rides, shows, clinics etc. Wish I knew how to link it! Really, lots of Western here, it's just overshadowed by the HUGE event, polo and hunter/jumper contigents. The extent of horse activities here sure makes it easy to find feed in the number of tack shops and feed stores. Local hay is quality and relaively inexpensive if you decide to feed Coastal which we have done without incident. Have you visited the area?

Old 04-18-2012, 11:23 PM

ecalendaraiken.com

(e=Equestrian)

Old 04-19-2012, 07:53 AM

Hi EBV1,

Again, many, many thanks for all your helpful info!! I have never been to Aiken yet, but I look forward to visiting the area at my earliest opportunity. It sounds delightful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evb1 View Post
Hey again! Bugs are non existent compared to New England. Where we are, no mosquitos, no black flies, no ticks. The flies are worse, but the swallows that nest in our barn eliminate them quite effectively after the babies hatch and they go into feeding overdrive. I don't even have to use flyspray during the summer here. That story would be different without our swallow population though. I don't ride much anymore, but could easily go out in the mornings in the summer months. There is usually a nice little breeze to mediate the heat. The hottest part of the day is late afternoon when the breeze drops and the humidity becomes oppresive. That's when I hose off and the horses tuck in right under the fans. There is an Aiken equine events calendar online that lists the organized trail rides, shows, clinics etc. Wish I knew how to link it! Really, lots of Western here, it's just overshadowed by the HUGE event, polo and hunter/jumper contigents. The extent of horse activities here sure makes it easy to find feed in the number of tack shops and feed stores. Local hay is quality and relaively inexpensive if you decide to feed Coastal which we have done without incident. Have you visited the area?

Old 04-19-2012, 09:25 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,766 times
Check out the online magazine below
Theaikenhorse.com

Old 04-27-2012, 06:10 AM

14 posts, read 45,639 times
I live in Aiken and I ride western. Most of my riding partners ride English but who cares what discipline one does.....a trail ride is a trail ride. If you want to show Western Pleasure then you will be disappointed in the opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina