Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 03:05 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'll bite on this one. I live in the Atlanta area, my father in law lives in Myrtle Beach, SC. I have also lived in Northern Illinois for 3 years.

Personally, I like Illinois better than GA or SC. My wife on the other hand hates Illinois with a passion and prefers GA. She by the way is a Jersey girl.

I have to admit, everytime I see someone talking about the south and the "Civil War thing" it is someone who is not from the South that brings it up on conversation. I think it is just a culture shock item. Kind of like I had when this old WV boy was transfered to NJ years ago.

There was talk about paychecks, but with pay comes cost of living comparables.
When I was in Illinois 2002-2005 in beautiful McHenry County my property taxes were in excess of $7,000.00 per year on my home. A 3 br/2ba home on a postage stamp.
When I went to work in Schaumburg (Cook County) I would get succked dry in sales tax to the tune of 10.5%!
Cost of gasoline? Compared to GA and SC just add about 35-40 cents more per gallon.
Restaurants? I pay on average 15-20% less in Atlanta on eating out than I did in the Chicagoland area.
Lastly groceries? Considering it is the breadbasket of America unless you were buying Pork, Corn, or Milk get ready for a stick up.

Now, with all this one is probably scratching their head on why I liked Illinois better than GA or SC.
Only a few items. Believe it or not I like the weather better. I do not like heat and 100% humidity. Also like the Midwest way of life. Kind of a Norman Rockwell thing.

Now back to the Civil War thing? ok if you don't understand now please help me out.
What is this Packer thing about when you cross the Wisconsin border?
Is it some kind of Cult? then for the "Cubs" I mean the Cubs thing is rather weird too. Cubbies this, Cubbies that, and whenever they win you get to hear everyone all day going around saying "hey hey Cubs win, Cubs win" in kind of a monotone way of speak. Now that is rather weird

Old 01-02-2007, 06:18 AM

4 posts, read 12,089 times
I'm from the south and hate this state! Full of arrogant religious hypocrites that want to tell you how to live your life! They feel the "need" to decide what is best for you once you get here. You best be running out of here and soon as I can, I will be too!

Old 01-02-2007, 08:15 AM

330 posts, read 1,197,044 times
We moved to Summerville from Philadelphia and absolutely love it. Of course there are pros and cons no matter where you live.. but certain places may suit you more than others.

We researched the area for months and visited many times to make sure it was a good fit though. And it is.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:51 AM

324 posts, read 1,528,320 times
Cool Oh Please

I had lived in Appleton WI before moving to SC (for 6 years) berfore moving back to the milwaukee area.....I liked south carolina better than wisconsin!!!!

I had then moved to Florida after 15 more years in WI and I did my research beforhand...same when I moved to NC....yup did a lot of moving but....

Dont expect everything to be like where you used to live!!!!!!

Old 01-05-2007, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 4,392 times
Default feel ur pain

I feel ur pain. If i could pack up tomorrow and leave i would. But of course my children have school and their friends. Get out while you can or youll be stuck!

Old 01-05-2007, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,389 times
First off, I would like to say that no matter where you decide to live, there are positives and negatives. I was born and raised (at least part of my life) in S.C. And i'm happy to say that I will soon be moving back there at the end of January! The one comment I really have a problem with is the "Civil War" thing. Every state has it's history and culture. I'm a history bluff myself and I enjoy reading about (and talking about) all of it. And reguardless of what anyone says, southern people in general tend to be put down by everyone for whatever reason. I am a smart and well educated woman and I value my southern heritage more than anything! I have absolutely NO desire to live anywhere but in the south! I have found it to be full of nice "down home" people who genuinely know how to treat people and aren't all torn out of the frame if a stop light don't change quick enough for them! If you are unhappy, by all means move, but don't be so closed-minded about southerners. We're not that bad.....really.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:35 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,937 times
I moved from central NJ to upstate SC in 1994 and love it here in SC. I have no intention of every leaving. I didn't come here with the expectation of it being like NJ. If that's what I wanted I would have never moved. I absolutely love this state, and everyone I've met has been incredible. I also married a wonderful SC women.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,391 times
hitown is doing us a favor yall!! the more discontented Yankees like that get with our dear Grandlady SC, the more will pack up and head back to their segregated ghettos, overpriced postwar faux siding homes with above ground pools and near commie like blue state mentality.

we wont be crying in our buttermilk over one less yank--they can have Chicago, philly, pittsburgh, cleveland, detroit, NY, boston

He is betting on the fact that yall havent read a newspaper or seen a news program on the abysmal crime rates, poverty, horrid and dangerous schools and tax rates of the yankee north--but i am living up here right now and i can tell you it is far inferior to the Southland.

Okay, everyone settle down. I am born and raised in Chicago....the city has my heart and granted not everything is perfect here but you will never find Utopia anywhere.

Stop bashing on my beloved city. Stop calling Southerners rednecks, stop calling Northerners Yankees. It's disrespectful and immature. We are all adults here and not everyone agrees with one another but we all have to respect each other's opinions.

If anyone is going to make such a major move (i.e-Chicago to Charleston) than you have to realize that you are moving into another culture. It's called adaptation and the worst thing you can do is bash it to hell to the locals. It's a little thing called PRIDE.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:11 PM

83 posts, read 271,456 times
Thank you Danny5mom, for nicely saying what I cannot translate out of the profanity in my mind. This guy's an idiot!

Old 01-27-2007, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,395 times
Default 55 and over condo area in SC

Looking for a 55 and over condo area in SC, anyone have
any suggestions? Thanks

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina