U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 09:00 PM

2,817 posts, read 1,585,255 times
Default South Carolina Baseball

It was a great regional in Columbia this weekend. The state should be proud that three SC teams played tremendous games on a national stage. Coastal, Clemson and Carolina all played great games, although I am glad to see Carolina move on to the Super Regionals.

The announcers, who have been to many many ballparks, commented more than a couple of times about how special the atmosphere is at Carolina Stadium. I have said it before (and was criticized) but, the announcers agreed that Carolina's baseball stadium is better than all but a handful of AAA stadiums. While this will always be debated within SC, this is truely a great ballpark that looked awesome on national TV throughout the weekend. Columbia's skyline looked nice over the centerfield wall, just past the national title flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 11:11 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,617,555 times
Gamecock baseball is a very good program, and undisputedly the best in the state.

Clemson had a good year. The Tigers need more umph in recruiting better players and winning games.

The Chanticleers have progressed well into a good program.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:17 PM

627 posts, read 320,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
It was a great regional in Columbia this weekend. The state should be proud that three SC teams played tremendous games on a national stage. Coastal, Clemson and Carolina all played great games, although I am glad to see Carolina move on to the Super Regionals.

The announcers, who have been to many many ballparks, commented more than a couple of times about how special the atmosphere is at Carolina Stadium. I have said it before (and was criticized) but, the announcers agreed that Carolina's baseball stadium is better than all but a handful of AAA stadiums. While this will always be debated within SC, this is truely a great ballpark that looked awesome on national TV throughout the weekend. Columbia's skyline looked nice over the centerfield wall, just past the national title flag.

Agreed. With three state schools playing in the same regional and South Carolina having a deep connection to baseball it was great for the fans of these three schools come out and support their teams in numbers. The Columbia regional probably had the highest attendance out of all the regionals due to the proximity of the schools and it was apparent while I would flip the channel to other regionals and see maybe a few hundred fans in the other games going on.

One of my favorite features of Carolina stadium is the backdrop of Columbia skyline. It even includes the distant and out of range (depending on your vantage point) Bank of America building.

Most will agree that Carolina stadium is a gem and is on par with other great stadiums such as Baum stadium and Alex Box stadium yet, despite being smaller seat wise, I think Carolina stadium is comfortably nestled near the banks of the Congaree river with natural beauty surrounding it along with the urban landscape of downtown Columbia.

The only people to criticize Carolina Stadium are probably our orange brethren from the upstate, but of course, they too are entitled to their opinions

Old 06-04-2012, 06:05 AM

7,106 posts, read 5,438,492 times
Any big time high school recruit in the nation who wants to play in a large, packed venue had to be impressed with the setting if they saw it on TV, the beautiful skyline and trees notwithstanding. And now they can be super impressed as they watch the Columbia Super Regional. Go, *****!

Old 06-04-2012, 06:33 AM

2,345 posts, read 2,554,929 times
It was truly a great weekend! All four teams played and gave their all, including Manhattan College which surely must have been proud to be included with this group. Their school doesn't even have their own home field; they play in a local park.

Now . . . on to the Super Regionals, which I believe South Carolina will host again, because of their national ranking.

GO GAMECOCKS! THREE-PEAT!

Old 06-04-2012, 09:08 AM

450 posts, read 668,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
It was truly a great weekend! All four teams played and gave their all, including Manhattan College which surely must have been proud to be included with this group. Their school doesn't even have their own home field; they play in a local park.

Now . . . on to the Super Regionals, which I believe South Carolina will host again, because of their national ranking.

GO GAMECOCKS! THREE-PEAT!
Hey lover, I was listening to the game on the radio yesterday and first at bat (JoeyPankake) tripled off the wall and it was as loud as the '2001 space odessey' entrance atta Carolina football game ! I hope you got to hear that as it was a spine tingling Carolina moment and that kept the momentum going for the rest of the game, a real struggle. It has been another different kinda season but with the same goals. Coach RayTanner is some kinda coach.

GO ***** !!

Old 06-11-2012, 03:59 PM

2,345 posts, read 2,554,929 times
Back to Omaha!!! Working on a Three-peat! Go Gamecocks!

Old 06-11-2012, 09:34 PM

714 posts, read 525,626 times
Go Gamecocks! Complete the hat trick in Omaha!

Old 06-11-2012, 11:00 PM

627 posts, read 320,923 times
Go *****! Safe to say South Carolina has become an elite powerhouse of college baseball. Florida will be awfully tough though... Played em four times this season (once in the SEC tourney) and they beat us 3 times. Florida vs South Carolina Saturday will be HUGE.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:06 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,617,555 times
Postseason play has a different energy than regular season or conference tournament play. The Gamecocks know how to get through Omaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina