U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-25-2007, 07:12 AM

55 posts, read 525,568 times
Default Minimum wage in South Carolina and employment

Hello, Does anyone know what the minimum wage is in South Carolina ? I heard its very hard to find a job there also. Do you know if this is true ? My family and I are considering moving there because of the nice weather and to be close to the beach, but it seems like every person we have spoken to , including realtors says there is no jobs available. Any help is apprecaited , thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-25-2007, 08:05 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,442,813 times
No jobs available? I guess that would depend on the area of SC you're looking at, but in the Charleston-Tri county area, there are plenty of companies looking for qualified employees. What type of job are you looking for, I'd be happy to put you in touch with some of the largest employers in the lowcountry.

Unread 09-25-2007, 05:41 PM

55 posts, read 525,568 times
Hi, I am looking in banking in North Myrtle Beach area. Iam getting a little discouraged because almost everyone keeps saying people had to leave the area because there was no employemnt. Just not sure how true this is ? If you know how employment is near Myrtle area can you please let me know, thanks for your help, apprecaite it.

Unread 09-25-2007, 06:12 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,442,813 times
I don't know Myrtle that well to be honest, but Charleston's 2 hours south if you'd rather look down here. What did the branch offices in Myrtle say when you called them?

Unread 09-25-2007, 06:38 PM

4,300 posts, read 9,449,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello47 View Post
Hi, I am looking in banking in North Myrtle Beach area. Iam getting a little discouraged because almost everyone keeps saying people had to leave the area because there was no employemnt. Just not sure how true this is ? If you know how employment is near Myrtle area can you please let me know, thanks for your help, apprecaite it.
I got a job and I work in accounting.

Unread 09-25-2007, 09:43 PM

8,512 posts, read 11,601,711 times
Look in the Greenville, Columbia, or Charleston areas for the best chance of getting a job in banking. Banks are opening up like mad here in Greenville. Seems a new one opens everyday.

Unread 09-26-2007, 11:19 AM

543 posts, read 1,449,123 times
There are banking jobs here. There are also accounting jobs that open at the local telephone, electric, pepsi and coke companies.

The best thing to do is look online. Do a search for Horry Telephone, Horry Electric, Coastal Workforce Center, AVX, and Time Warner.

If you insist on working in a bank, check Conway National Bank. They are hiring all the time. There is also BB&T and Bank of America.

That's all in the Myrtle Beach/N. Myrtle Beach area!

Unread 04-29-2008, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 15,852 times
Hello
If you have not already moved there. RUN do not go. They are not very progressive in many of the cities.

Unread 04-29-2008, 06:52 PM

4,258 posts, read 3,862,808 times
Minimum wage is/was $5.15, but I haven't been down that low in a while, so I'm not 100% sure. Jobs are getting increasingly difficult to find, yes. There have been a lot of layoffs in the various plants throughout the state, lots of downsizing. I guess it really depends on what kind of job field you're into though. It's only hard to find a job here if you don't already live down here (why hire someone out-of-state if there are plenty willing to work locally?).

Unread 04-29-2008, 07:36 PM

4,466 posts, read 7,343,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello47 View Post
Myrtle Beach is a tourist area; you won't find a lot of banking jobs there. Like the other poster said, try one of the three main metros in South Carolina to find a job in banking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina