Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 02:39 PM

6 posts, read 31,617 times

Advertisements

After ordering service November 26, we finally got it on Dec.12. That's crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 05:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,945 times
Default Hargray is a monopoly

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_wallace View Post
I have to say I am furious with the prices Hargray are charging for internet. $75 per month for a 10MB download speed. That is ridiculous and insane.

I am moving to Westbury Park in Bluffton and I can't get any other service provider. I called them up and said their prices are very competitive, what a joke that is. At the moment I'm with Time Warner and It's costing me $52 per month for a 30MB download speed.

Does anyone else use Hargray and what experience do you have with them? I even looked at their whole package for net,phone and cable and the price was horrendous.

I am still going to be using Directv and Vonage. Directv gave me a lovely deal for moving - $110pm for the whole Premier package, Fox Soccer Plus, HD DVR and 2 HD boxes, NHL Sunday Ticket, all good for one year.

By the way, I am seriously considering of getting a petition going so other internet providers can get into Bluffton SC. If anyone is up for that, let me know. I have already sent a letter to 2 newspapers about the prices Hargray are charging for internet.

I totally agree. I live in Summerville and have a second home in Bluffton. Hargray has THE Monopoly in Bluffton and Hilton Head. Hargray said they had the best prices in the area. Of course they do. There are no other prices.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:27 AM

2 posts, read 5,076 times
Hargray has definitely monopolized the Beaufort/Bluffton/HHI area. We currently live in Beaufort and have Hargray TV and internet. In regards to our services, we haven't had any issues. Customer service has been hit or miss. Prices are definitely too high. If we were staying in Beaufort for a few more years, I'd likely get an HD antenna and a Roku box and get rid of my Hargray TV services.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 4,006 times
I WOULD LOVE TO GET A PETITION GOING! I'M IN. And, yes, I definitely meant to type that in all caps. This is an outrage.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,927 times
I agree we need more choices than hargray and welcome a petition. Let me know when it is available

Old 05-03-2014, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,830 times
I live in the Lake Linden Garden Homes community and sadly Hargray is our only internet/cable provider too. It is part of our rules that we cannot have dish, and that leaves us with Hargray as our only option! I agree with the "spotty at best" internet service they provide. What's even more ridiculous is the pricing for their "bundle" plan is $38 more than on Hilton Head...a distance of 12 miles! I called customer service to inquire about the pricing difference and they straight up told me that because Bluffton does not have another competitor for cable they can charge what they "deem fair"...LMAO!!! We have since cancelled our cable...saving $120 a month and have moved to Netflix/Hulu Plus/Amazon Plus and LOVING LIFE AFTER CUTTING THE CABLE CORD Would LOVE to sign a petition if started!

Old 05-07-2014, 09:04 AM

15 posts, read 23,932 times
So the Time Warner website shows Internet service available if you plug in the 29910 zip code. Has anyone had any success with them?

Old 07-08-2014, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,618 times
Post You CAN put up an antenna or dish

Quote:
Originally Posted by couponerjenna View Post
I live in the Lake Linden Garden Homes community and sadly Hargray is our only internet/cable provider too. It is part of our rules that we cannot have dish, and that leaves us with Hargray as our only option!
Your HOA may be mistaken. Per FCC rules - which trump HOA regulations- you may be able to install an outdoor antenna or satellite dish. Check the details at the below link:

[url]http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/products/story/2012-04-29/pegoraro-rooftop-antenna/54582432/1[/url]

Question: The homeowners' association in my "planned community" does not allow rooftop TV antennas. What are my options?

Answer: You should point the management of your HOA to a lengthy document on the Federal Communications Commission's website titled "Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule." And then politely tell those people to stuff it.

This rule — written to enforce a provision of the Telecommunications Act of 1996— is neither new nor hard to interpret.

Since October 1996, it has banned "restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming." The FCC has since extended it to protect the right of renters to set up antennas within areas they control, such as balconies or porches, and to cover wireless-broadband receivers.

Yet I still sometimes hear from readers who say their homeowners association or condo or coop board won't let them park a TV antenna or satellite dish on a roof or balcony. These restrictions often leave viewers handcuffed to a single vendor, the local cable operator, for TV service.

Should your home's quasi-governing body be among those still confused, you can comfort its leadership with the knowledge that they can still prohibit satellite dishes larger than one meter wide (except in Alaska) and TV antenna masts that reach higher than 12 feet above a roofline. The FCC also allows antenna bans for safety or narrowly-defined historic-preservation rules.

If a building has one central antenna positioned for everybody's use — and which would provide reception as good as an individual model in one person's abode — its management can also block residents from setting up their own.

But everything else, from requests to wait while the FCC reviews your HOA's petition to "unreasonable" advance-notification requirements or permitting fees, amounts to nothing but static in the ears of the law.

The FCC's note ends by advising frustrated viewers to call the commission for assistance: 888-CALL FCC (888-225-5322).

I was sufficiently upset at losing WCSC (CBS), WCBD (NBC) and WCIV (ABC) from Charleston when Hargray purchased Charter Cable's Beaufort franchise that I had a rooftop antenna erected on my Beaufort home. Even though Hargray was eventually able to work a carriage agreement with WCIV, I now receive 11 channels from Charleston on my antenna, including WCSC, WCBD, WCIV, and their subchannels. Additional channels I receive among the 11 include WTAT (FOX) and WMMP (MyTv) and their subchannels, which Charter never carried.

And what trumps all is that one gets a better signal with more clarity from over-the-air than the compressed signals ALL cable/satellite providers deliver.

Last edited by AntennaBruce; 07-08-2014 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: added text of url link

Old 07-09-2014, 03:07 PM

226 posts, read 368,778 times
Unfortunately, what you guys are going through is a really common issue in SC. I'm originally from Aiken, and the only game in town was Atlantic Broadband. I lived there my entire life, and if you didn't want satellite, you only had one cable option that switched hands 7 or so times as I grew up. ABB doesn't sound as bad as Hargray though. A lot of times they have a deal going with whatever the local municipality is to allow the cable company to monopolize the area. It really stinks. I live in Greenville now, and happily we have more than one choice for cable/internet services here.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:06 PM

137 posts, read 272,674 times
I do not know but I know hargray used to be in Beaufort years ago. Going back to around 1999-2000, everyone had hargray Internet addresses in Beaufort....now, no one does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina