Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 08:37 AM

61 posts, read 200,655 times

Advertisements

I have to say I am furious with the prices Hargray are charging for internet. $75 per month for a 10MB download speed. That is ridiculous and insane.

I am moving to Westbury Park in Bluffton and I can't get any other service provider. I called them up and said their prices are very competitive, what a joke that is. At the moment I'm with Time Warner and It's costing me $52 per month for a 30MB download speed.

Does anyone else use Hargray and what experience do you have with them? I even looked at their whole package for net,phone and cable and the price was horrendous.

I am still going to be using Directv and Vonage. Directv gave me a lovely deal for moving - $110pm for the whole Premier package, Fox Soccer Plus, HD DVR and 2 HD boxes, NHL Sunday Ticket, all good for one year.

By the way, I am seriously considering of getting a petition going so other internet providers can get into Bluffton SC. If anyone is up for that, let me know. I have already sent a letter to 2 newspapers about the prices Hargray are charging for internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 05:53 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,667,816 times
Years back some companies had the foresight to run services (phone, cable, internet, etc.) to places that no one else wanted to service. Many were bought out and merged but there are pockets of those independent companies still left and in some cases, they are the only game in town.

I live in an area of Lexington SC where our land line phone/internet service is from a company called Windstream. While they are cost effective and offer good service, I never heard of them until I moved here.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:28 AM

61 posts, read 200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Years back some companies had the foresight to run services (phone, cable, internet, etc.) to places that no one else wanted to service. Many were bought out and merged but there are pockets of those independent companies still left and in some cases, they are the only game in town.

I live in an area of Lexington SC where our land line phone/internet service is from a company called Windstream. While they are cost effective and offer good service, I never heard of them until I moved here.
It's a shame that Hargray aren't cost effective.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:26 PM

2 posts, read 12,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by william_wallace View Post
I have to say I am furious with the prices Hargray are charging for internet. $75 per month for a 10MB download speed. That is ridiculous and insane.

I am moving to Westbury Park in Bluffton and I can't get any other service provider. I called them up and said their prices are very competitive, what a joke that is. At the moment I'm with Time Warner and It's costing me $52 per month for a 30MB download speed.

Does anyone else use Hargray and what experience do you have with them? I even looked at their whole package for net,phone and cable and the price was horrendous.

I am still going to be using Directv and Vonage. Directv gave me a lovely deal for moving - $110pm for the whole Premier package, Fox Soccer Plus, HD DVR and 2 HD boxes, NHL Sunday Ticket, all good for one year.

By the way, I am seriously considering of getting a petition going so other internet providers can get into Bluffton SC. If anyone is up for that, let me know. I have already sent a letter to 2 newspapers about the prices Hargray are charging for internet.
We live in Westbury Park and have to use Hargray. They are the worst Internet Service Provider we've ever used. You should check your ACTUAL download and upload speeds. We have their top home Internet plan, something like 20megs per second, allegedly. We regularly get download speeds in the 1 to 3 Meg's per second. Upload speeds have never reached 1.0 megs/sec and I check often.

Hargray must really enjoy the monopoly they have in Westbury park because without it they would be out of business.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:06 PM

43 posts, read 156,867 times
We ended up with Hargray and should have waited for Time Warner to call us back. I've got nothing but horrible things to say about them including the slowest remote control in the world, no pay per view or tv on demand. Can't wait to change.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:19 PM

683 posts, read 464,866 times
What's the deal with Time Warner? We're moving down this summer and I NEED fast internet because I will be working from home. Will be living in Hampton Hall, if that makes a difference.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:03 AM

43 posts, read 156,867 times
As an upddate, Hargray is upgrading their system to be on par with many other providers. Time will tell, this will take place in May when they will replace their outdated equipment. I have heard others complain about lack of return calls from Time Warner.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 8,444 times
Default Petition

If you do get a petition going, let me know. We too have used Hargray in the past, and HATED their service. The TV worked maybe half the time, our internet was slower than molasses in January, and our phone was hit and miss if we could hear anything other than crackling. We are looking to move out to Bluffton soon, and would love to keep Time Warner as our cable provider.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:44 PM

6 posts, read 31,621 times
I called Hargray a week ago to get internet service. What a joke. No one has even been to the newly constructed house to begin installation. I'm glad I chose to stay with Directv when I moved. Now if I could find internet service...

I'll gladly sign a petition or whatever we need to do to get competition here.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 11,419 times
Hargray is horrible. I currently live in Westbury Park and they are the only provider in the area that offers service. I work from home and since September I have had to have techs come out 3 times to fix an issue that still is not fixed. Once again I have a rep scheduled to come out this coming Saturday morning. I currently have the 30 download x 5 upload plan and usually get a 27x3 very rarely much higher. My job requires a 30x2 to support the use of our internet based Cisco phones so I upgraded speeds thinking that was my issue. Well come to find out things are no better. Speeds are not consistent and Hargray has not even bother to credit me for the time of no service. I'm beyond frustrated at this time with both the the lack of quality customer service and the lack of internet service in general. If the issues are not fixed this time around I think I will cancel services and be forced to drive to work every morning rather than deal with this nonsense of not knowing if my internet will work from day to day. I would love to sign a petition if one is started. What really stinks is that Time Warner offers services in part of Bluffton but not in its entirety. Which leaves people like myself stuck with a horrible and unprofessional service provider that has no respect for its customers. They take advantage of us and treat us like crap because they know there is no one standing in their way, so they feel it is ok. Even the technician that work for Hargray have told me that the company's Customer Service is crappy. Thats pretty sad. at Hargray!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina