Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 01:30 PM

46 posts, read 144,035 times

Advertisements

I am very disheartened to hear about the crime rate in South Carolina. I was scheduled to meet with a Real Estate agent there next week to purchase a vacation home in the Myrtle Beach area. I am going to cancel my plans to do so, as I am totally disgusted with the crime in this country. Instead of wasting our resources trying to civilize the barbarians in the Middle East, we need to clean up our own act and get rid of the scum who are destroying our own country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 03:07 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mec4U View Post
I am very disheartened to hear about the crime rate in South Carolina. I was scheduled to meet with a Real Estate agent there next week to purchase a vacation home in the Myrtle Beach area. I am going to cancel my plans to do so, as I am totally disgusted with the crime in this country.
I don't think you should just cancel those plans based on this one statistic. Crime is usually concentrated in certain areas of a city, and your realtor can provide some pertinent information as to whether or not your vacation home is located in a safer area of the city.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:17 AM

187 posts, read 980,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mec4U View Post
I am very disheartened to hear about the crime rate in South Carolina. I was scheduled to meet with a Real Estate agent there next week to purchase a vacation home in the Myrtle Beach area. I am going to cancel my plans to do so, as I am totally disgusted with the crime in this country. Instead of wasting our resources trying to civilize the barbarians in the Middle East, we need to clean up our own act and get rid of the scum who are destroying our own country.
Overreacting a bit? It is not like you will become a victim of a violent crime each time you step foot out your door. Like anywhere, using common sense does wonders do avoid becoming a victim.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:33 PM

83 posts, read 276,336 times
Crime in SC is very localized. Avoid the bad areas and it's a fine state to live and retire in.
Much of the crime is between lowlifes and within their neighborhoods, and you can ignore it.

We also have very reasonable firearms laws, so the weapon you shoot for fun can protect home and hearth as well. If you are conservative, and the more right-wing the better, come on down and bring your friends.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:13 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Oh yes, I feel very safe in SC. There is just certain crime areas and they can be avoided, just like anywhere else.
There are wonderful communities that feel extremely safe. I've never not felt safe .............
I have walked in many of the communities and towns. I have researched many areas.........
No way would I cancel an appointment to own a vacation home there. Its a joyful, friendly place....and full of fun.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:21 AM

37 posts, read 162,927 times
I'm from SC originally and when I hear about all the stuff going on there, it saddens me and makes me feel bad for my family...

Old 12-27-2009, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,727 times
In my opinion tourist areas do have higher crime rates. That is so beacuse robbers and thiefs know that all these pepole that can afford a vacation can also aforrd cameras, cellphones, ect. This could be one of the reasons. And I do agree on the high gang activity In SC I lived in a small town with a population of about a 100 and 50 live in the "hood" alot of drugs are consumed in that side of the town.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:34 PM

315 posts, read 871,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rophlmao View Post
Crime in SC is very localized. Avoid the bad areas and it's a fine state to live and retire in.
Much of the crime is between lowlifes and within their neighborhoods, and you can ignore it.
I grew up in the Bronx- then Manhattan. Ive been in NJ for many yrs now -but-I think Rophlmao comment is correct. The worst recent crime peroid in NY was the 80,s - and it was mostly in neighborhoods that you would never even get close to.
I would think its the same in many places- - SC being no different.

HappyHolidays

Old 12-31-2009, 05:11 PM

83 posts, read 276,336 times
I moved from North Jersey and as with that area, you have plenty of choices where to live.

Don't live near poor people and do buy into neighborhoods they can't afford to live in or next to.

It isn't the state that matters, it's the specific local area.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:39 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rophlmao View Post

Don't live near poor people and do buy into neighborhoods they can't afford to live in or next to.

It isn't the state that matters, it's the specific local area.
while that at times can be true; at least back home in the subs we were near in WI, the local snot nosed/spoon fed white kids caused much of the trouble. Some just doing that stupid teen thing that many of us probably did, others playing "wanna be gangsta". Guess my point is while you may feel safer in a newer/higher cost area, that doesn't mean you can't be subject to crime ( usually theft/vandalism ). Again that's based on experience back home, won't say that's the case here. The violent crime rates were usually much higher in the rental areas, where the housing was subsidized, then in single family neighborhoods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina