Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:28 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
yeah a lot of people want to see public servants' compensation decreased.

wait, are you under the impression that south carolina public workers are heavily unionized?
Public workers compensation should be decreased. Public workers are there to serve.....the public sector is not "for profit". Public workers should make a livable wage....nothing more. State own cars should be bare bones.....no power windows, no sunroofs, etc. It is the governments responsibilty to save taxpayers dollars. The private sector is for making money. The public sector is there to play a supporting role to the private sector.

No, I was speaking in general about Federal and state unions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 11:43 AM

12,877 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Public workers compensation should be decreased. Public workers are there to serve.....the public sector is not "for profit". Public workers should make a livable wage....nothing more. State own cars should be bare bones.....no power windows, no sunroofs, etc. It is the governments responsibilty to save taxpayers dollars. The private sector is for making money. The public sector is there to play a supporting role to the private sector.

No, I was speaking in general about Federal and state unions.
Silliness at its ugliest.

BTW, SC is a decentralized state in state government, meaning there a lot of state jobs in cities that have those jobs only because of provincial lawmakers scratching the right backs to get offices for certain state agencies opened in their neck of the woods. There are a LOT of state jobs for which there is no need for a physical presence in any particular city. In other words, state government should stop paying for rent, electricity and water in many an office building and return LOTS of jobs to Columbia where employees can handle their duties as state employees as well as they can from any other city. But as it is now, state government workers in Columbia and cities other than Columbia would lose benefits and be making only a "livable wage" if some had their way. I go back to what I said before: you get what you pay for.

Last edited by Charlestondata; 08-10-2012 at 11:51 AM..

Old 08-10-2012, 12:39 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Public workers compensation should be decreased. Public workers are there to serve.....the public sector is not "for profit".
you don't seem like you know what "for profit" means. it doesn't have anything to do with how much an employer pays its workers.

Quote:
Public workers should make a livable wage....nothing more.
Oh, okay. So doctors, lawyers, programmers, bus drivers, and garbagemen who work for the public should all make the same "livable wage" regardless of their education or experience?

Great idea. You could probably get elected to some local council in the upstate with that kind of platform, Baptist lintheads would eat it up. I doubt a City Attorney up there needs a law degree anyway.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:53 PM

730 posts, read 1,401,153 times
gsupstate,

Are you suggesting that I, as a teacher for the state, should only make a "livable wage?" We should be forced to compete for private sector jobs? If you force everybody out, who's going to be left to provide services? Surely you jest when you say teachers should seek private sector jobs. Private schools (at least the ones in this state) come NOWHERE close to salary and benefits that public school districts offer.

I'm getting a little tired of people saying teachers are overpaid and have cushy jobs. I CHOSE to teach because I love working with kids and I wanted to coach as well. But people who are not in public education have NO IDEA what we go through on a daily basis. I'll tell you this, you don't have anywhere near the BS at your private sector job that goes on every day at a public school in this state. For what we put up with, our pay and benefits are just.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:03 PM

The vast majority of public workers work harder than private-sector workers. Public workers for the most part think in terms of serving. Private-sector workers for the most part think in terms of making money and then moving on to the next gig to make even more money. I mean, instead of generalizing let's look at it through an objective lens.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
you don't seem like you know what "for profit" means. it doesn't have anything to do with how much an employer pays its .
Really? Wow. Tell me more.......
Government is NOT "for profit" so therefore government employees should not be paid at private sector "for profit" rates. Get it?

Go into the DMV any day, watch the low level of quality at which the jobs are performed, the over exaggerated amount of paperwork to justify jobs, etc and then tell me those people deserve to make any more than a burger flipper at Wendy's would.

Last edited by gsupstate; 08-10-2012 at 06:19 PM..

Old 08-10-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger17 View Post
gsupstate,

Are you suggesting that I, as a teacher for the state, should only make a "livable wage?" We should be forced to compete for private sector jobs? If you force everybody out, who's going to be left to provide services? Surely you jest when you say teachers should seek private sector jobs. Private schools (at least the ones in this state) come NOWHERE close to salary and benefits that public school districts offer.

I'm getting a little tired of people saying teachers are overpaid and have cushy jobs. I CHOSE to teach because I love working with kids and I wanted to coach as well. But people who are not in public education have NO IDEA what we go through on a daily basis. I'll tell you this, you don't have anywhere near the BS at your private sector job that goes on every day at a public school in this state. For what we put up with, our pay and benefits are just.
Tiger17, I respect the teaching profession. In my opinion, qualified teachers should be paid more!
Sadly, I am against public education......too much PC and political BS that are forced onto both teachers and students. I am a total believer in private education.......that is a different topic.

Last edited by gsupstate; 08-10-2012 at 05:43 PM..

Old 08-11-2012, 07:20 AM

Critics of state government employees need to spend one day at the agency I retired from, which by the way is one of those agencies that don't need a physical presence anywhere but Columbia but has a bigger presence in Greenville than in Columbia. There is nothing about the agency's mission nor about the duties of its employees that warrants a presence anywhere but Columbia. Charleston has an office, too.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:37 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Critics of state employees who think they have been badly treated or underserved do have recourse. There is a facility manager at the offending state office, a State Department responsible for said offending office, State Legislators, and Governor's Haley's Office. Maligning a group of state employees is a personal attack until it isinvestigated and becomes a matter of record.

The best resolve is for one to move to a location that better suits his/her lofty ideals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina