Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 03:33 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about Haltiwanger Road and how it's turned out since 1994? Montague Street as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 04:38 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Montague Avenue, formerly US-25/US-178 Business, remains a vibrant corridor through Greenwood's central business district. Most retail and residences around are geared toward Lander University, which has become successful in recent years.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:02 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,874,369 times
Haltiwanger has grown with lots of apartment complexes and housing developments. It is a speed trap with lots of ticketing on that road (yes, I was stopped a while back )
Like with any area, there are advantages and challenges to living in Greenwood. It is not a good town for single professionals, according to my friends who have moved into the area. Most singles opt to live in Simpsonville or Greenville and commute in for work. Families with young children seem to like it here. Not having interstate access does hurt Greenwood's ability to recruit larger corporations and that, in turn, lessens the pool of better paying professional positions. Many folks I know brought their jobs with them (telecommuting) and moved to Lake Greenwood from other parts of the country. Unfortunately, now, because there is little to do, some of them are moving to more populated or dynamic areas. Some will love it and some will hate it....like all places. No one should be miserable in life....if you hate something (job, residence, whatever) change it and move on. Hoping the OP finds happiness wherever she lands.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:46 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
Haltiwanger has grown with lots of apartment complexes and housing developments. It is a speed trap with lots of ticketing on that road (yes, I was stopped a while back )
Like with any area, there are advantages and challenges to living in Greenwood. It is not a good town for single professionals, according to my friends who have moved into the area. Most singles opt to live in Simpsonville or Greenville and commute in for work. Families with young children seem to like it here. Not having interstate access does hurt Greenwood's ability to recruit larger corporations and that, in turn, lessens the pool of better paying professional positions. Many folks I know brought their jobs with them (telecommuting) and moved to Lake Greenwood from other parts of the country. Unfortunately, now, because there is little to do, some of them are moving to more populated or dynamic areas. Some will love it and some will hate it....like all places. No one should be miserable in life....if you hate something (job, residence, whatever) change it and move on. Hoping the OP finds happiness wherever she lands.
I didn't know all of that was happening. I remember the place being semi-rural back in 1993-94. I'm single, so I don't know if I would do well in Greenwood.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:02 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Greenwood is an interesting City... The fact that it does not have an interstate and it has a whooping 23,000 people is pretty amazing for an SC City. Greenwood reminds me alot of Sumter, which also seems isolated without the access of an interstate but still manages to grow..though slowly to an impressive 40,000. They atleast have some plans in the works.. so hopefully that will bring new interest and growth to the community...for as the good book said.. "where there is no vision.. the people perish"

http://www.cityofgreenwoodsc.com/cli...masterplan.pdf

Old 09-11-2012, 07:09 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Greenwood is an interesting City... The fact that it does not have an interstate and it has a whooping 23,000 people is pretty amazing for an SC City. Greenwood reminds me alot of Sumter, which also seems isolated without the access of an interstate but still manages to grow..though slowly to an impressive 40,000. They atleast have some plans in the works.. so hopefully that will bring new interest and growth to the community...for as the good book said.. "where there is no vision.. the people perish"

http://www.cityofgreenwoodsc.com/cli...masterplan.pdf
I agree. Like I said earlier. People shouldn't expect to move from big cities to Greenwood, and expect not to have a culture shock. If you move from the big city to any smaller place like it, it's going to be a lot different. I don't understand the surprise. I always experienced that with people who moved into Greenwood when I was younger. They were kids though, so I understand their shock, but not so much adults. Too many tools available for research not to know. It is slowly progressing though. Very slowly.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
I agree. Like I said earlier. People shouldn't expect to move from big cities to Greenwood, and expect not to have a culture shock. If you move from the big city to any smaller place like it, it's going to be a lot different. I don't understand the surprise. I always experienced that with people who moved into Greenwood when I was younger. They were kids though, so I understand their shock, but not so much adults. Too many tools available for research not to know. It is slowly progressing though. Very slowly.

Speaking of growth..and interesting article from the City's web site.. I had no idea that Greenwood was getting a TJ Maxx.. sure that not big news for most large cities.. but that is pretty significant for a City Greenwood's size.. I am curious as to what is driving the economy there?

Greenwood, SC - Headlines

Old 09-12-2012, 08:12 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Speaking of growth..and interesting article from the City's web site.. I had no idea that Greenwood was getting a TJ Maxx.. sure that not big news for most large cities.. but that is pretty significant for a City Greenwood's size.. I am curious as to what is driving the economy there?

Greenwood, SC - Headlines
Well, there are some companies there. Stuff like Fuji Film, Capsugel(Pfizer), etc. Also, retirees on the lake.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:47 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,133,606 times
Let me offer some help. I can't remember the hwy that runs through Ninty Six and into Newberry but get on that road and when you hit I-26, take it west until you hit I-85 in Spartanburg. Head north on 85. I think it goes all the way to Richmond, VA. (Someone correct me if I am wrong.) In Richmond, get on I-95 North and you should know the rest of the way from there.

Happy Trails!

Old 10-02-2012, 01:44 PM

Looks like Kohl's likes Greenwood

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina