Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 10:28 AM

683 posts, read 4,615,510 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm hoping to take a last minute road trip from Oct 6-9. I know it's a short time, so I want to make the most of it. My main reason is that I want to cross off all 50 states, and I have never been to either of the Carolinas. I don't want to just step foot in each state to say I did it...I'd rather see things of the south and take fun pictures (my hobby)...HOWEVER, I am looking to spend the lowest amount of money I can.

I live in California and will probably fly into Atlanta since it's cheapest. From there I can ride the Megabus to Charlotte for less than $20. I will most likely rent a car there, but still looking at other options...maybe Amtraking it? Has anyone done this, and which cities should I plan on going through if I want to make a loop from Atlanta and back? (going through both N and S Carolina?) Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 01:08 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,753,223 times
I'd rent a car - then decide on the northern route

Charlotte to Gastonia, to Hickory to Ashville ( all in NC) then swing south to Spartenburg to Greenville to Anderson, all in SC and back to Altlanta

Or the southern route

Charlotte NC to to SC- Spartanberg to Greenville, then to Columbia to Aiken, then on to Augusta, GA & back to Atlanta.

Or if you just want to drive through real fast , do both routes. If you want to get out, poke around, find some fine spots for dining, see a few sights, etc. pick only one or the other

Have fun !

Old 09-25-2012, 01:22 PM

800 posts, read 1,462,729 times
That time of year, I'd recommend the "northern" route, maybe spending a night in Asheville, there might be some fall foliage by then. Perhaps take a spin on the Blue Ridge Parkway. From there, down to Greenville/Spartanburg...Greenville has a really neat downtown area, and Spartanburg has some Revolutionary War sites nearby if you're into history.

I think the Western mountain area around Asheville is the neatest part of NC. However, the most "tourist-oriented" area of SC, where I would direct tourists with more time to spend, is around Charleston, which unfortunately is a bit out of the way given your itinerary.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:20 PM

683 posts, read 4,615,510 times
Thanks! I was able to find a ticket to Charlotte, so I'll be flying directly there. Now to plan!

Old 10-01-2012, 06:06 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,576,072 times
What have you decided to do?

Old 10-02-2012, 07:27 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2882 View Post
Thanks! I was able to find a ticket to Charlotte, so I'll be flying directly there. Now to plan!
Having 3 days, I'd spend one in Charlotte, one in Charleston & one in Asheville to get a taste of the Carolinas - there is obviously a lot more to see, but those would be the 3 places I'd see first.

3 hours driving from Charlotte to Charleston, 4 hours from Charleston to Asheville and 2 hours back to Charlotte. You could also 'stop' in Columbia and Greenville-Spartanburg along those routes if there is anything in particular that you would like to see in those places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina