Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 07:26 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winona View Post
Forgot to mention that the fabulous HOA here has deemed it necessary to close the pool with 85+ degree days still in effect! I was told by the sales agent that the pool was open year round....it appears that not everyone adheres to the CLOSED sign. What do the HOA fees go towards--certainly not maintaining the lifeguard--there isn't one!
never ever ever listen to what a sales agent tells you about HOA's. Always insist on seeing the rules first.

least you have an HOA that cares. We pay dues and our HOA is worthless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 05:56 PM

29 posts, read 100,544 times
Winona, After reading your comments, we didn't even look in Pinecrest. Your words stayed in my mind while looking for a community to buy in, and I knew it sure wasn't going to be Pinecrest. Personally, I feel an HOA protects homeowners from people who are negligent in the upkeep of their home, and maintains a constant eye for consistency and follow through in the enforcement of the covenants. It's not an easy job, and you should appreciate your board members. I cannot understand why people buy a home with an HOA if they don't want to follow the rules. Anyway, thanks so much for your comments. We hope we have chosen the right community and hope that our new neighbors take as much pride in their home as we will.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:17 AM

17 posts, read 107,257 times
Default Pinecrest

We moved out of that nosey neighborhood, 2 years ago and we couldn't be any happier. YES, our new neighborhood has a POA and neighbors! The nice thing is, the POA is reasonable and the neighbors are friendly but not nosy, noicey or rude. These neighbors actually want you to enjoy your home and not conform to a certain color pallette or apply for approval to move a bush over 2 feet like in Pinecrest. What I found about living in Pinecrest is there is a certain few that want to run the POA like a dictatorship and not listen to anything the community as a whole has to say, but rather what they think is good for them, and them alone. The people in Pinecrest think they are some high-class folks, but the truth is they still put their pants on 1 leg at a time, that includes the guy who looks like Boss Hogg.

So long, farewell!

Old 08-31-2009, 07:06 AM

1 posts, read 3,551 times
Default Governance in SC Homeowner associations

Sorry to hear of the pool issue . Bluffton & Pinecrest and the area overall is a great place to live. Not perfect , but nice. HOA management usually have to follow instructions of members and have approved procedures voted on by the members . Perhaps you can be a community advocate and work with the Board on a committee. Rules generally are published snd distributed for members. Has the builder turned over control to the members? SC Law requires a disclosure you may have signed when submitting your contract. Perhaps your realtor can help . The covenants are filed in Beaufort County you can find online or ask the association to provide you a copy . As an owner your entitled. I am a Beaufort County realtor working with my senator as we are concerned that buyers receive the benefit of the bargain when buying.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:07 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
We in PA are given the HOA rules so late into the home buying process it isn't funny.
I lived in a HOA community for eight years. I tried to abide by these rules....sometimes it is hard.
You did feel as you were planting a tree or bush, that someone was looking over your shoulder.
And........they were.
Our neighbor got a permit to put in a window and someone was taking a picture of him thinking
he had no permit....He had one.
The newsletter use to show homes that didn't abide by the rules. Yes, pictures! Maybe a home with firewood misplaced, or something similar.
One man had to take down enormous decking and an above ground pool because he didn't place it where the board wanted. That was a huge expense.
The pool had terrible hours and would open late in the year and close early.
There was rules like no fencing allowed......No tree cutting .......
I knew the rules before I signed on to buy the home.......It just became uncomfortable.
Plus, everyone is right...The board members do start acting like the captains of the ship.
Anyone at the meeting who disagreed was stopped in mid sentence.
It was such a relief to move to my own property, with just ten rules on the street of " no junk"
" no extra homes "on a lot......simple things.
Its hard not to find an HOA anymore, there are so many around.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:24 PM

2 posts, read 5,911 times
What are some of the rules the neighborhoods need follow? Can someone give me examples?

Old 02-15-2011, 03:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,911 times
I live in Lancaster, PA and my husband and I are looking into relocating to Bluffton, S.C., but after reading all these issues I think we are going to shy away from any property the has anything to do with HOA.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:05 PM

192 posts, read 494,117 times
We have a HOA in place at our home in SC, it has a lot of rules but we were very much aware of them when we bought. Some are down right silly and others I can appreciate fully. As our other home in MI does not have a HOA, our neighbors are border line hoarders. They have 4 boats, 3 cars, a two car garage with so much junk in it the cars stay outside, numerous bikes lying around the yard that their kids have outgrown, 3 ice shanties, and so much junk it makes you sick just looking at it. We have contacted our township who has ticketed them a number of times, they will clean up or move things around and then go right back to the collecting of more items. We have put up a privacy hedge between our lots. The wife just laughs and calls her husband, Sanford.

I will live with the silly rules of a HOA then to have to have neighbors like this again.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:50 AM

608 posts, read 1,346,554 times
The first day I moved into my house I had the dish put up on the roof, never got permission. Someone from the HOA said something to me after it was put up. I told the HOA person they were free to go up on the roof and take it down themselves, but if they did they would be tresspassing on my property and I would have to take steps to stop them. Never heard a peep out of them, then I received a bill in the mail for something I shouldn't have done. I went over to the house of the HOA president, gave him his bill and a business card with my attorney's name on it told him to talk to the attorney, if I get another bill I will sue the HOA and him personally for harassment. That shut him up. Someone parked on the street overnight to close to my property, at 2am went out with an ice pick, the next morning I heard a tow truck towing the car away (amazing how 4 flattened tires can happen) No one has bothered me since, stick up for yourself.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:36 AM

17 posts, read 107,257 times
"I went over to the house of the HOA president, gave him his bill and a business card with my attorney's name on it told him to talk to the attorney, if I get another bill I will sue the HOA and him personally for harassment."

I hope you live in Pinecrest and that was the current and former President, Bob! He's an idiot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina