Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 07:58 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,321,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
If someone asked me what's the largest MSA in SC, I would assume they meant the largest MSA the principle city(ies) of which are in SC, and my answer would be Greenville-Anderson, because both principle cities of that MSA are in SC.
This is really bothering your ego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 08:18 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,357,122 times
Quote:
Greenville-Anderson's MSA is the largest in the state.

I apologize for not up on "stats" the whole MSA and CSA thing as some of you.. but why isnt Spartanburg included in the MSA as opposed to Anderson?

Old 03-25-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I apologize for not up on "stats" the whole MSA and CSA thing as some of you.. but why isnt Spartanburg included in the MSA as opposed to Anderson?
Commute patterns.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:47 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times
Quote:
Greenville-Anderson
You forgot Mauldin.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:52 AM

12,912 posts, read 18,756,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
You forgot Mauldin.
Oh, yeah, thanks. We want each city involved to gets its share of attention.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:00 AM

12,912 posts, read 18,756,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
This is really bothering your ego.
No, because in my earlier analogy Columbia is Houston, except that even Houston doesn't have the distinction of its name being the only one in the MSA title.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
No, because in my earlier analogy Columbia is Houston, except that even Houston doesn't have the distinction of its name being the only one in the MSA title.
Lol, ok I got ya.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Commute patterns.

OK.. so both Anderson and Mauldin have more people commuting out of them and into Greenville than Spartanburg does.. which would lead me to believe that Spartanburg is more of its own central city than say a bedroom community ? Interesting....

On a related note... I read in another thread how the City of Mt. Pleasant now has a higher population than Greenville. It was noted that Greenville's city limits are smaller than most of its peer cities. Just curious on why that is.... Is it because the City just doesnt aggressively pursue annexation or people, in Greenville County just dont want to live in the city limits because of tax purposes and what not.. I say that to say that most cities in SC of any relavent size seem to aggressively pursue annexation.. From Columbia, Charleston, and even places like Cayce, Irmo, West Columbia, Blythewood, and Forest Acres in terms of cities in the Midlands..... I used to work for a small municipality in SC and the County actively discouraged its residents from annexing into the City because they believed that it would reduced their political power.. though in SC the Cities are IN the Counties and you vote for City and County reps in any City in SC.. The County politicos however found that most people went to their City reps inside the City Limits and thus tried to stifle any annextion because of that.. I was wondering if that may be the issue in Greenville????

Last edited by Woodlands; 03-25-2013 at 12:56 PM..

Old 03-25-2013, 01:06 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,319 times
I would say it's partially some of both. Some people don't want to be in the City because of perceived higher taxes. But, to a degree, I think the City also enjoys having a smaller land area within which to spread its wealth around. It allows Greenville to pay attention to more details, and to focus its energy more intensely upon projects that it deems a priority.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
I would say it's partially some of both. Some people don't want to be in the City because of perceived higher taxes. But, to a degree, I think the City also enjoys having a smaller land area within which to spread its wealth around. It allows Greenville to pay attention to more details, and to focus its energy more intensely upon projects that it deems a priority.

Interesting...on that note.. would you say that the Mayor and City Council have been in their positions for a long period of time? The inverse of what I referenced about the County stifling annexation for political reasons happens in some towns/cities in SC. They want to stay small because they dont want to annex certain areas that surround them either because it could threaten the incumbent(either real or percieved because of demographic or party affiliation) or because of the low tax value.. I will give you a Columbia tax value example.

The area along I-277 and the much debated 'Jim Clyburn Pedestrian Overpass' has for years been outside of the City though they have made overtures to be annexed. It is completely surrounded by the City of Columbia. The area contains mainly low income housing The City did a Cost Benefit Analysis and determined that it would cost the taxpayers of Columbia more in providing services to this area than they would recoup via taxes.. This area was turned down when Coble was Mayor. It came up again when Benjamin first became Mayor..I believe they petitioned again..though I am not sure what happened. In the City's defense.. The two development were rental communities and thus the property managers were obviously looking for relief from water/sewer rates and additional Police protection at the city's expense. However; low income areas like Arthurtown down off of Shop Road near Williams Brice, sections of Olympia and a few others have been clamoring for better services and thus want to annex into the City with mixed results.

I could give a couple of demographic/political affiliation examples such as the Ward where the neighborhood would enter the City is of one political party and taking it in would tilt the favor towards another and thus the Council Rep finds ways to keep it out. This is especially true if someone lives there that is rumored or feared to run for the office once the area comes in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina