Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 10:59 AM

98 posts, read 281,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
This is a very fair post. I think we lose sight of the OP, what works for one person will not work for another. As it has been said, depending on what the OP wants will be a major factor in what schools works best for him/her.

As for Wofford being overrated, that is complete BS. The school has a very talented student body and has increased average entrance scores over the past decade while also growing the student body by about 25% to roughly 1,600 students. Average SAT scores for the incoming class is in the upper 1,200 range, I think around 1,275. Not a bad score while simultaneously increasing the class size. 4 year graduation rates for the school is one of the highest in SC, almost all full time professors have a terminal degree and the campus (thanks in part to Roger Milliken) is one of the best in the south. Most upper level classes have around 10 students. The school also has a talented group of alumni, the most famous in this area is Panthers owner, Jerry Richardson. And, as you said, most alumni are welcome at graduate (business etc....), law or medical schools.
Thank you for the information about Wofford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 10:59 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosefaV View Post
Thank you for the information about Furman. Sounds like a great school.
I was curious about the religious affiliation of Furman. I had read that it was Baptist, and ultra-conservative. However, this link says that Furman severed ties with the Baptist Church in the early 1990's: Religion at Furman - College Confidential

It also says that students tend to be conservative and religious, but there is no pressure to be any particular faith.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2ct View Post
per Collegeboard.org I found that CoC is perfectly compatible with Clemson and USC in terms of SAT scores and percent admitted. I am pleasantly surprised. The magazine rankings do hold some merit. Is there any doubt that Yale, Harvard etc. are at the top? Any doubt that Clemson and USC should be ranked higher than Ole Miss?

Again, the bottom line is an applicant has to consider the factors that are most prevalent. Excellent point about Winthrop and education major.
Thanks for the helpful information.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:19 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Did you go to CofC?
No, I knew I didn't have the money to live in downtown Charleston.

Quote:
Is that why you are so persistent on having it mentioned with the best?
I'm not including C of C with the best. I already said that Furman was the best, and that no other schools in the state are in Furman's league.

There is a second tier of schools like Carolina, C of C, Clemson, and Wofford, none of which are the best.

Quote:
I am not sure what you consider elite but, anyone to say that Wofford is not a terrific school would also fall into the stupid category on your list.
It's not a terrific school. No schools in South Carolina are terrific. Furman is as close as it gets.

Wofford is an ideal place for wealthy, preppy legacy kids who can get a liberal arts education that'll help them get into law school. It reminds me of one of the smaller private non-Ivy schools in the northeast, where money and class and "who you know" plays a bigger role there than academic rigor.

Calling it "Harvard of the south" is ridiculous.

Quote:
Exactly what criteria are you using to say that Wofford is all talk and that CofC is just as good as Clemson or Carolina?
my experience with faculty, students, and alumni at these schools.

Last edited by le roi; 12-31-2012 at 11:31 AM..

Old 12-31-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I was curious about the religious affiliation of Furman. I had read that it was Baptist, and ultra-conservative. However, this link says that Furman severed ties with the Baptist Church in the early 1990's: Religion at Furman - College Confidential

It also says that students tend to be conservative and religious, but there is no pressure to be any particular faith.
Faith is faith. Furman is a great school. Thank you again for the information.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:56 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
No, I knew I didn't have the money to live in downtown Charleston.

I'm not including C of C with the best. I already said that Furman was the best, and that no other schools in the state are in Furman's league.

There is a second tier of schools like Carolina, C of C, Clemson, and Wofford, none of which are the best.

It's not a terrific school. No schools in South Carolina are terrific. Furman is as close as it gets.

Wofford is an ideal place for wealthy, preppy legacy kids who can get a liberal arts education that'll help them get into law school. It reminds me of one of the smaller private non-Ivy schools in the northeast, where money and class and "who you know" plays a bigger role there than academic rigor.

Calling it "Harvard of the south" is ridiculous.

my experience with faculty, students, and alumni at these schools.
LOL. Based on your experience? So, you are trashing Wofford based on talking with friends? Look, the simple point is that you are wrong. Wofford is private so, like any private school, Furman and Davidson included, folks will always say that it is a preppy school. And, to an extent, there is an element of legacy with regards to admission, no different than any other school. But, this year's incoming class had an SAT in the upper 1,200 materially higher than CofC, about 2/3 are in the top 10% of their HS class and the school has raised admission standards while simultaneously increasing the class size. Over 90% of the faculty have terminal degrees and the school is well funded by alumi such as Panther's owner Jerry Richardson. While is is not Harvard, it is a terrific school. You are making judgements based on hearsay.

As for CofC, it is in noway the same league as Clemson, Carolina, Wofford or Furman. The admission requirements are far less stringent than Wofford or Furman and the school is not evenclose to the research levels of Clemson or Carolina. The business school at CofC is nowhere close to the Moore school in reputation or resources. A recent poll of deans and business professionals showed that theMoore Schhol's peers are more in line with UGA, Alabama, UNC and others, noone had CofC's Business School listed as a peer of Carolina. That was a poll conducted nationwide, not hearsay. I am not sure why you are so adamant in getting CofC on the level of the best 4 schools in SC but, in short, you don't have much of an argument other than hearsay.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:53 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
LOL. Based on your experience? So, you are trashing Wofford based on talking with friends? Look, the simple point is that you are wrong. Wofford is private so, like any private school, Furman and Davidson included, folks will always say that it is a preppy school. And, to an extent, there is an element of legacy with regards to admission, no different than any other school. But, this year's incoming class had an SAT in the upper 1,200 materially higher than CofC, about 2/3 are in the top 10% of their HS class and the school has raised admission standards while simultaneously increasing the class size. Over 90% of the faculty have terminal degrees and the school is well funded by alumi such as Panther's owner Jerry Richardson. While is is not Harvard, it is a terrific school. You are making judgements based on hearsay.
Oh, well Jerry Richardson is a grad. That changes everything! BTW, anyone can post propaganda about a school, it doesn't mean much.

Quote:
As for CofC, it is in noway the same league as Clemson, Carolina, Wofford or Furman. The admission requirements are far less stringent than Wofford or Furman and the school is not evenclose to the research levels of Clemson or Carolina.
at least get my argument straight if you're going to try and rebut it.

Furman > Clemson, Carolina, CofC, Wofford

It's actually being generous to put Wofford in the same category as Clemson, Carolina, and CofC. Wofford is arguably more like a Winthrop, Francis Marion, or Presbyterian.

Quote:
The business school at CofC is nowhere close to the Moore school in reputation or resources. A recent poll of deans and business professionals showed that theMoore Schhol's peers are more in line with UGA, Alabama, UNC and others, noone had CofC's Business School listed as a peer of Carolina.
So what? Since when were we comparing Business schools?

On that note, however, Wofford is woefully limited in its academic offerings. CofC has a much wider range of courses to take, plus an honors college.

http://cofc.edu/academics/majorsandminors/index.php
http://www.wofford.edu/academics/majorsandprograms.aspx

Quote:
That was a poll conducted nationwide, not hearsay. I am not sure why you are so adamant in getting CofC on the level of the best 4 schools in SC but, in short, you don't have much of an argument other than hearsay.
I don't think that word "hearsay" means what you think it means, given the direct experience I've had with Wofford , it's campus, it's classes, its professors, and its graduates.

Last edited by le roi; 12-31-2012 at 02:01 PM..

Old 12-31-2012, 02:28 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,855 times
Quote:
Oh, well Jerry Richardson is a grad. That changes everything! BTW, anyone can post propaganda about a school, it doesn't mean much.

It's actually being generous to put Wofford in the same category as Clemson, Carolina, and CofC. Wofford is arguably more like a Winthrop, Francis Marion, or Presbyterian.

On that note, however, Wofford is woefully limited in its academic offerings. CofC has a much wider range of courses to take, plus an honors college.

Majors and Minors - College of Charleston
Wofford College - Majors and Programs

I don't think that word "hearsay" means what you think it means, given the direct experience I've had with Wofford , it's campus, it's classes, its professors, and its graduates.
Couple of questions, what propoganda with regards to Richardson, he did go to Wofford? That makes no sense. What experience do you have with Wofford? I seriously doubt that you have much experience other than maybe attending a football game based on you assessment and lack of material facts other than hearsay. Your post are more on the lines of talking trash at a football game.

But, since we are going on experience with alumni, professors, and the school, I would say that Wofford is a terrific school. Many alumni attend graduate school, law school, medical school, lead a business, or lead other institutions in the Carolinas (many here in Charlotte) and across the country. In fact, Wofford sends more graduates to graduate schools than most in SC, Furman being the exception....not CofC. The students at Wofford are all very talented due to high entrance metrics and almost all graduate within 5 years. The school is thought of as a national school, not a regional school like CofC, PC, Francis Marion, Winthrop.....lools like CofC is more like them than you thought. Wofford's endowment is multiples higher than CofC with a fraction of the number of students, again CofC is more on the lines of PC, FM and Winthrop....glad you brought up those schools, looks like your values CofC is actually more like them than Wofford, Furman, Carolina or Clemson, my original point that you have yet to disprove. Almost all of Wofford's professors have terminal degreees, again CofC is more like Winthrop.

Wofford has academic offerings consistent with the type of school that it is, no different than Davidson or Furman.

Look, I personally don't care of you hate Wofford but, if you are going to trash a school, use more than hearsay. Simply put, you have absolutely no argument.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:31 PM

233 posts, read 282,171 times
Quote:

I have been reading your post about schools (along with others), what are you trying to accomplish. Wofford is a great school as is Furman. Not sure why you are perpetuating an argument that is easily refuted when looking at the numbers.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:27 PM

117 posts, read 144,778 times
Quote:

Dude, what are you trying to prove? Are you just trying to perpetuate an argument with trash comments like Wofford is more like those other schools (Winthrop etc....)? Seriously, I did not see this thread hijacked by someone talking trash about Wofford's academics. Let's see, a school has a talented student body, highly qualified faculty and a great reputation but, you ignore that based on your experience, fairly cocky. Can you tell me what numbers to bet on in Vegas as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina