Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 08:55 AM

63 posts, read 180,815 times

Advertisements

It's been awhile since I've been on. That's because we "moved" out while our house was being repaired, repainted and recarpeted and I did not have access to our computer. Then we went on a scouting mission to South Carolina. On our first day away, our house sold by the first people to view it and it sold for our asking price!!!
Another plus is that these people do not have to wait on the sale of a home or for a lease to run out. Once inspections are complete (which the home inspection and the pest inspection have already been done) we are free to go to closing.

While in S.C. we visited with old friends and looked at homes for sale. Because I used to work at the local weekly paper doing the graphic art for the advertisements I went to one of the real estate brokers I had been familiar with. When I walked in I said, "Roy Knight!! I'm So and So. I used to work for the Sentinel."
And he said, "I know who you are. I remember you. How have you been?" Very southern and sincere.
In the few days we were there we could not find exactly what we were looking for so we decided to rent a place on the cheap until our "dream" home came about. This lead to two problems. First, we have a dog and a cat and secondly, the price that we were wanting to pay for rent was hard to find for what we wanted which was mainly clean in a safe neighborhood. Of course what we kept being reminded of by the locals was just because a yard is messy with couches on the porch or cars up on blocks did not mean drugs. It's just how people live here. "Oh, I guess I forgot in the 9 years that I've been away living around areas with for real drug users with couches on the porch and cars on blocks." LOL

Anyway, by the time our last day had come for us to do anymore looking, Friday, my head was pounding with a headache to beat the band. I had not slept well the night before and was indeed up every hour on the hour. It was horrible and we were leaving on Saturday and we still didn’t have a place to live and we go to closing on our house on October 19th and I NEEDED a place to come home too!! I was starting to think we'd made a mistake with selling our home and this idea of moving (sleep deprivation will do that to you. Make you doubt everything) and my DH was Mr Chipper saying things like, “It’s all going to work out babe. Things are going to be just fine, babe.” And I was to the point where if he babe’d me one more time I was going to pop him right in the kisser! My security gland was so tight that it had my face drawn up like a pickle and I wasn’t feeling very confident about our impending move, or very loving towards my DH! We were supposed to have dinner with old friends that night and I was feeling in no mood for it and we just kept driving and driving! By this time we were driving and driving on our own looking at rentals in the paper, looking for homes for sale by owner. We were just kind of driving and looking and driving and looking.

cont. in next post. . . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2006, 08:57 AM

cont. from previous post. . .

I was very miserable and I started praying. I started praying because there was nothing else I could do. My head hurt so bad, and I was feeling full of doubt and I just started praying. I prayed, “God, I’m really starting to doubt if we’re doing the right thing. We need a place to live because I’m scared I’m going to have to live in a truck with my DH, dog and cat. Please, God, please let us find a place to rent. Pleeeaaase just let a “For Rent” sign appear in a yard. Please just let there be a for rent sign that we come across on a cute house. Please. Just let a sign miraculously appear” No lie, I’m really praying this. Now up to this point I had not seen any “For Rent” signs just posted on a house or in a yard but I was a desperate woman!!! We were on our way back to the hotel room so I could lay down. We ended up on a road we would not normally take but because we’re not completely familiar with the lay of the land we ended up on it. This was about 15-20minutes after I had prayed my desperate prayer and what should appear??? The cutest little cottage/bungalow you’d ever want to see with not only one but two “For Rent” signs!!!!!! I grabbed DH’s arm and in disbelief said, “Did you see that??” Of course he hadn’t but I told him and he turned around and got the numbers. It’s so cute. It’s yellow with burgundy trim and it has a little porch on the front and the yard was so cute as well as the other homes around it. About 10 minutes later a real southern sounding gentleman called DH back. DH inquired about the house and the gentleman said, “Well did you go in and take a look? I left the place unlocked.” And DH said, “Well, no sir.” And the gentleman said, “Tell you what. How about you go take a look and then if you’re still interested in the place you can give me a call back.” So, that’s what we did and it is so cute. Everything on the inside has been redone. New flooring, new paint and some new windows. It’s 2 BRs/1 Bath but that ‘s all we need on about a ½ acre. Oh, and there was nothing in the house to be taken so I guess that’s why he left the door unlocked. That and he said the neighbors all around are really nice folks. And, we can have our dog and cat there. In talking with the gentleman, it turns out that he retired from the place DH had worked before we moved 9 years ago. They knew many of the same people and it really is a small world. Let me tell you just how much better I felt once I knew I had a place to come home too. I was able to go and have dinner with my friends and enjoy the evening. We are about 8 miles outside of Clemson (and Clemson University), 10 miles out of Easley and 22 miles away from Greenville and 23 miles outside of Anderson. We are in a perfect location. And the Lord truly does answer prayers! How silly of me to ever doubt it!

I will keep you updated on our movings. They say that moving is one of the top five stressers for people right up there with death and divorce and I believe it. Things couldn't work out any smoother for us but it's still stressful none the less.

Anyway, I've got to be running along. Just wanted to stop in and let the old timers (to the board) know what's been taking place with us.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:45 PM

18 posts, read 44,349 times
What a great story! Thanks so much for sharing!

Old 10-03-2006, 07:40 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Great story, I wish you the best of luck!!!

Old 10-03-2006, 09:13 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,033 times
Disney Dreamer, Amen! I'm jealous in a good way

Old 10-04-2006, 10:24 AM

Thank you all for your well wishes. I'll be on the road two weeks from today.

It's seems like a long time and yet no time at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Disney Dreamer, Amen! I'm jealous in a good way
Thanks, Mark! When I get down there I'll be able to investigate things more closely and answer any questions that you might think of.

How are things going with your move?

Old 10-04-2006, 12:14 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreamer View Post
How are things going with your move?
Our property has been on the market 14 months and still no offers.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:50 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
Congratulations from the Charlotte area (Concord to be exact). Glad you're getting to live your dream. You're living in a truly beautiful area! Also, I like your ID, Disney Dreamer. We visit Disney often and LOVE it!!!

Old 10-05-2006, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
Congratulations from the Charlotte area (Concord to be exact). Glad you're getting to live your dream. You're living in a truly beautiful area! Also, I like your ID, Disney Dreamer. We visit Disney often and LOVE it!!!
Thank you for your well wishes.

Do you drive to Disney? We were wondering how we were going to get there once we moved. Right now we are about 45 minutes from Philly and an hour and a half from Baltimore. Both of them have low cost carriers like Southwest airlines. In September when we flew down we only paid $39.00 per person one way. Southwest rarely has flights costing more than $79.00-$89.00. I've become a bit spoiled.

We will be close to Greenville/Spartanburg but they do not have any low cost carriers.

DH says we'll resort to driving as we will be quite a bit closer than Delaware. Also, he said once you figure in driving to the airport (now) and having to be at the airport 2 hours early because of security plus a two hour flight and then at least an hour in Orlando getting from the plain to luggage pickup and then picking up a rental or catching transportation it might just be more cost efficient to drive.

Old 10-08-2006, 11:09 AM

66 posts, read 346,957 times
congrat's hope you really enjoy your new area. were getting really to move somewhere lol not sureyet been to hilton head ga next up to other areas of s.c. and n.c were behind disney now lived in fla 11 yrs but crime will move me out of the state and home prices . but oh how i loved living here .i had 11 yrs of disney some weeks we went 4 times A WEEK funny you really never get tired of it . but the time your back to square one you forgot stuff lol well we just got 1 more yr tickets we go a lot and enjoy the time we got left here .well anyway good luck to you again baily
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina