Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 08:32 PM

233 posts, read 282,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
You have to understand SC voters. Our local columnist took on this issue today in an excellent column.

He pointed out that during the 2012 Republican primary, SC voters had a choice between Romney and Gingrich. By all accounts, Romney has been a longtime faithful husband, raising his family in a religious environment, with no known history of affairs. Gingrich, on the other hand, is "a man whose familial background resembles a Jerry Springer episode , including multiple cases of infidelity and trying to divorce a woman who was sick in a hospital bed." Gingrich won decisively throughout SC, not just the lowcountry, including Greenville County, which is SC's mecca of conservatism.

SC conservatives are big on the "sanctity of marriage", unless it happens to get in the way of choosing the candidate most likely to eliminate spending on such trivial matters as roads, bridges, natural environment, Medicaid, early child development, etc.
I was thinking the same thing.....folks in SC preach "family values" but are quick to vote in a politician who lied to the state while cheating on his family. Then, residents feel singled out nationally when they can't back up the talk. Folks here in Greenville would vote for anyone over a perceived "liberal" which in most areas would be considered a moderate. Still can't believe Gowdy represents us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 09:27 PM

385 posts, read 1,112,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
You have to understand SC voters. Our local columnist took on this issue today in an excellent column.

He pointed out that during the 2012 Republican primary, SC voters had a choice between Romney and Gingrich. By all accounts, Romney has been a longtime faithful husband, raising his family in a religious environment, with no known history of affairs. Gingrich, on the other hand, is "a man whose familial background resembles a Jerry Springer episode , including multiple cases of infidelity and trying to divorce a woman who was sick in a hospital bed." Gingrich won decisively throughout SC, not just the lowcountry, including Greenville County, which is SC's mecca of conservatism.

SC conservatives are big on the "sanctity of marriage", unless it happens to get in the way of choosing the candidate most likely to eliminate spending on such trivial matters as roads, bridges, natural environment, Medicaid, early child development, etc.
Couldn't have said it better.

Wow. I really, really hope he doesn't win an office again. I am already embarrassed to be from this state...

Old 04-16-2013, 09:13 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Former South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford must appear in court two days after running for a vacant congressional seat to answer a complaint that he trespassed at his ex-wife's home, according to court documents acquired by The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Report: Ex-wife says former South Carolina Gov. Sanford trespassed | Fox News

Ooops.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:52 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
I think there is something seriously wrong with this man.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:07 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
and yet people will vote for him because he isnt a democrat..... guess we should always turn the other cheek and allow for a second chance, when political parties are involved.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:47 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Quote:
There just seems to be something off about him. The impulsive behavior, the public breakdown and weird speech after he was busted, the complete lack of introspection a la asking the ex-wife who clearly doesn't like him very much to help run his campaign, points to someone who may just have a... let's say, atypical personality. Throw in his rather strict political ideology and there is obviously something going on under the surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17
and yet people will vote for him because he isnt a democrat..... guess we should always turn the other cheek and allow for a second chance, when political parties are involved.
I think this goes beyond giving second chances. People mess-up, they cheat and they make grave mistakes. But there seems to be more to this than a what can be covered by somewhat heartfelt, "I'm sorry, please forgive me."

Old 04-17-2013, 11:18 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
Right - that NEVER happens with the Democrats...

I happen to be a Republican and I wouldn't vote for him.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:43 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Former South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford said Wednesday he visited his ex-wife's home while she was out of town because he didn't want his 14-year-old son to watch the Super Bowl alone -- a visit that she says violated their divorce settlement.

Sanford: I was at ex-wife's home to be with son | Fox News

I think Sanford may be knitting with one needle.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:11 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
Quote:
Right - that NEVER happens with the Democrats...

I happen to be a Republican and I wouldn't vote for him.

oh i know this crap swings on both sides of the fence. Just meant for those who follow party lines regardless, they would vote for the devil if he was their candidate. Wait, sometimes they may be lol.

We had just moved to SC when his little "hike" took place, and i was surprised this would happen down in the bible belt. Since then, i've seen enough that happens throughout the political systems across the state to know a shifty sneaky low life can be in power at any level (and yes in any state). Guess that's why they say sometimes one votes for the lesser of 2 evils...

Old 04-17-2013, 01:29 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
GOP Pulls Funds From Sanford Election Bid
GOP Pulls Funds From Sanford Election Bid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina