Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 05:14 PM

3 posts, read 11,300 times

Advertisements

I just recently got a job at McLeod in Florence. I'm wonder what is a good are of town to live in, and what are some activities to do in the town since I'm in my early 20's. I've heard there isn't a great night life but is there any good shopping, places to eat, etc. But mainly I'm worried about where to look to rent a house!
Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 04:01 AM

235 posts, read 528,097 times
Hey, your bet would be living in the West Florence area. The nightlife isn't great compared to Columbia or Charleston but there are a few popular bars like Apple Annie's and Taboo

Old 06-25-2013, 08:06 AM

425 posts, read 631,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katey907 View Post
I just recently got a job at McLeod in Florence. I'm wonder what is a good are of town to live in, and what are some activities to do in the town since I'm in my early 20's. I've heard there isn't a great night life but is there any good shopping, places to eat, etc. But mainly I'm worried about where to look to rent a house!
Thank you so much!
Katey,

I grew up in Florence on the west side of town. I think it is a good place to live overall.

West Florence has the mall, Magnolia Mall, which is a solid mall for a small town. There is a Best Buy, Walmart, Kohl's, Target, Barnes and Noble, TJ Max, Dick's Sporting Goods in that area. Restaurants include Outback Steakhouse, Olive Garden, Mellow Mushroom, a good local steak and American food place Percy and Willies, Five Guys Burgers, Peddler Steakhouse, Buffaloe Wild Wings, Longhorn Steakhouse etc. Most of these restaurants were not there when I was growing up in the 90's so you will be living large.

I think Apple Annie's and Redbone Alley tend to be the hotspot for young people in the 5 Points area near Cherokee Road. There is a bar/club near Apple Annie's that has changed ownership several times over the years but they used to have live music there and fairly big names on a regional level would play there from time to time. Renting along Cherokee Road would probably be a good idea if you want to be near the "action" in Florence. The Florence Country Club, which has tennis courts, and a nice park with many tennis courts Timrod Park are located off Cherokee Road and the area also has two of the nicest elementary schools. I found this listing for a rental near Cherokee on craigslist: Great location just off Cherokee

You might also want to look off of Hoffmeyer road, which is near West Florence High School and a nice area. Cashua Road near the Forest Lake subdivisions has some newer apartments and probably could rent a house/condo in that area as well. I grew up in the Oakdale / Whitehall area around the Oakdale Country Club and that is a little further out but you probably could find some decent rentals along Pineneedles Road.

I don't know if you were interested in apartments but there are some new apartment complexes there. I would probably stay at this one located off Irby Street in South Florence, not too far from a super walmart: The Reserve at Mill Creek Apartment Rentals
South Florence is a decent area too and it's not that far away from west Florence, just a straight shot down a 4 lane road in Second Loop. People tend to recommend West Florence b/c the schools are tad bit better but a lot of that is because the more affluent people tend to live on west side and there are more poor kids going to South Florence.

I also noticed these apartments appear to be brand new on South Cashua Drive in the Forest Lake area, might be worth checking out Woodlake Apartments Apartments in Florence, SC | Apartments.com.

Florence has a great YMCA off of 2nd loop in the South Florence area, and there is also a very nice fitness center associated with McCloud hospital, where you m ight be able to get a discount since you will be working there. That is probably one of the nicest fitness centers in the entire state. It is located near the mall and West Florence high school.

There is a new movie theatre, I think Regal, off the west side of town near the Civic Center which should be nice.

I think Florence has a good newcomers club that you might want to join to meet other people rapidly. I'd also recommend joining a church even if you aren't religious because it is a good way to meet people in Florence. I went to Ebenezer Baptist Church growing up out in the Oakdale area and there are a lot of nice people who go there. First Baptist downtown is a nice one too.

I forgot about this but there is a nice new park with tennis courts in the Oakdale / Ebenezer area. I forget the name of it, probably Ebenezer Park. I think you can also pick up the Florence Rail Trail near this park, which is an old railroad track that was converted to a hiking trail. I never been on it but I think it is fairly popular in Florence. I wouldn't mind renting in this Ebenezer area if I could find something there.

There is also a new huge tennis center off of N. Cashua Drive. I forget the name of it but I think it is a private club but if you like tennis, Florence is the town for that.

The Florence Civic Center is a nice facility and they will have concerts and trade shows and other events from time to time. They used to have a minor league hockey team that was popular but not sure if they is still going on.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I miss Florence sometimes. Congratulations on the new job.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:09 PM

3 posts, read 11,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTiger45 View Post
Katey,

I grew up in Florence on the west side of town. I think it is a good place to live overall.

West Florence has the mall, Magnolia Mall, which is a solid mall for a small town. There is a Best Buy, Walmart, Kohl's, Target, Barnes and Noble, TJ Max, Dick's Sporting Goods in that area. Restaurants include Outback Steakhouse, Olive Garden, Mellow Mushroom, a good local steak and American food place Percy and Willies, Five Guys Burgers, Peddler Steakhouse, Buffaloe Wild Wings, Longhorn Steakhouse etc. Most of these restaurants were not there when I was growing up in the 90's so you will be living large.

I think Apple Annie's and Redbone Alley tend to be the hotspot for young people in the 5 Points area near Cherokee Road. There is a bar/club near Apple Annie's that has changed ownership several times over the years but they used to have live music there and fairly big names on a regional level would play there from time to time. Renting along Cherokee Road would probably be a good idea if you want to be near the "action" in Florence. The Florence Country Club, which has tennis courts, and a nice park with many tennis courts Timrod Park are located off Cherokee Road and the area also has two of the nicest elementary schools. I found this listing for a rental near Cherokee on craigslist: Great location just off Cherokee

You might also want to look off of Hoffmeyer road, which is near West Florence High School and a nice area. Cashua Road near the Forest Lake subdivisions has some newer apartments and probably could rent a house/condo in that area as well. I grew up in the Oakdale / Whitehall area around the Oakdale Country Club and that is a little further out but you probably could find some decent rentals along Pineneedles Road.

I don't know if you were interested in apartments but there are some new apartment complexes there. I would probably stay at this one located off Irby Street in South Florence, not too far from a super walmart: The Reserve at Mill Creek Apartment Rentals
South Florence is a decent area too and it's not that far away from west Florence, just a straight shot down a 4 lane road in Second Loop. People tend to recommend West Florence b/c the schools are tad bit better but a lot of that is because the more affluent people tend to live on west side and there are more poor kids going to South Florence.

I also noticed these apartments appear to be brand new on South Cashua Drive in the Forest Lake area, might be worth checking out Woodlake Apartments Apartments in Florence, SC | Apartments.com.

Florence has a great YMCA off of 2nd loop in the South Florence area, and there is also a very nice fitness center associated with McCloud hospital, where you m ight be able to get a discount since you will be working there. That is probably one of the nicest fitness centers in the entire state. It is located near the mall and West Florence high school.

There is a new movie theatre, I think Regal, off the west side of town near the Civic Center which should be nice.

I think Florence has a good newcomers club that you might want to join to meet other people rapidly. I'd also recommend joining a church even if you aren't religious because it is a good way to meet people in Florence. I went to Ebenezer Baptist Church growing up out in the Oakdale area and there are a lot of nice people who go there. First Baptist downtown is a nice one too.

I forgot about this but there is a nice new park with tennis courts in the Oakdale / Ebenezer area. I forget the name of it, probably Ebenezer Park. I think you can also pick up the Florence Rail Trail near this park, which is an old railroad track that was converted to a hiking trail. I never been on it but I think it is fairly popular in Florence. I wouldn't mind renting in this Ebenezer area if I could find something there.

There is also a new huge tennis center off of N. Cashua Drive. I forget the name of it but I think it is a private club but if you like tennis, Florence is the town for that.

The Florence Civic Center is a nice facility and they will have concerts and trade shows and other events from time to time. They used to have a minor league hockey team that was popular but not sure if they is still going on.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I miss Florence sometimes. Congratulations on the new job.

Thank you for all of the great information!!! I'm so lost on even where to start looking. I looked at both apartments you told me about and they seem great! Just a little spendy. I was hoping to spend more around 600 or 700 and they're both up in the 800. Do you know of any apartment complexes closer to that price range? I also gotta dog they gotta be dog friendly! haha. But really you were so helpful thank you so much! and if you think of any other great things to do or places to live please let me know!

Old 06-25-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katey907 View Post
Thank you for all of the great information!!! I'm so lost on even where to start looking. I looked at both apartments you told me about and they seem great! Just a little spendy. I was hoping to spend more around 600 or 700 and they're both up in the 800. Do you know of any apartment complexes closer to that price range? I also gotta dog they gotta be dog friendly! haha. But really you were so helpful thank you so much! and if you think of any other great things to do or places to live please let me know!
No problem, I like talking about my hometown for some reason.

Have you been to Florence yet? I am assuming you interviewed in person at the hospital?

I guess first thing you need to decide if you want to be in West Florence or South Florence. South will probably be shorter commute to the hospital. West Florence has more stuff. I am assuming you don't want to be near the hospital because that is fairly rough area and much more crime prone.

You could check out Bentree Apartments in West Florence. THey are old apartments, I think they were built in 1970s but they have a decent rating on apartmentratings.com. Looks like they are in 600 dollar range and you can't beat the location, you could walk to the Mccloud fitness center, and you are 2 miles from the mall area and 2 miles from 5 points. Here is their website Find Florence apartments and homes for rent in South Carolina at Bentree Apartments.

There is a newer one in South Florence, built in 2003 or so, that is the same building type as one I lived in in Aiken SC that was pretty nice, with French doors out to the patio/balcony which gives it more of a condo feel. It is called Charles Point. It isn't too far from the YMCA. It looks like it is going to be 700 or so but you should always go in and check out any apartment in person b/c sometimes they will have specials. I'd be surprised if you can't rent a 1 bedroom here in low 600's but apartment rents have skyrocketed in recent years b/c of the poor housing market.

I found this website for a company that appears to own several rental properties in Florence and looks like they have several in your price range and some brand new ones that might give you a discount on rent as they try to fill out all their units: Florence SC

South Cashua drive near the Forest Lake neighborhoods is probably where most of these apartments will be.

There is an apartment complex on Southborough Road in the Oakdale area that might be ok. Here is the link: Hunter's Glen Apartments for Rent - Florence, SC Apartments | Apartment Finder.

If you rent a house I'd tried to find something around the Florence Country Club off Cherokee road, or off Hoymeyer road.

You should let all these places know you have a job with the hospital as they might give you a preferred employer discount and the hospital should be an preferred employer.

One thing you could do is contact Francis Marion and ask if they have information about rentals in Florence, b/c I'm sure they have students who get information about off campus housing from them. Somebody at the hospital in their HR department probably could hook you up with some rental information as well.

I don't know if you play tennis but that is a good way to meet some people in Florence. Timrod Park as group tennis lessons and so does the Florence Country Club.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:38 PM

255 posts, read 610,055 times
You may also want to check out Patriot Place Apartments by Francis Marion University which is located at East Florence. East Florence doesn't have the amount of crime that other places in Florence has and you'll be closer to McLeod. Also, you'll be closer to Myrtle Beach too!

Last edited by augusto29556; 06-27-2013 at 09:53 PM..

Old 06-27-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augusto29556 View Post
You may also want to check out Patriot Place Apartments by Francis Marion University which is located at East Florence. East Florence doesn't have the amount of crime that other places in Florence has and you'll be closer to McLeod. Rent starts at 535 a month.
That is the primary off campus apartment for Francis Marion U. though and lot of young guys there who are living on their own for the first time. I wouldn't recommend that for a working professional and it is isolated from rest of town. I don't think crime is going to be a problem at apartments in Forest Lake or South Florence area or the two out on Southborough Road.

The only one that I can see with potential for crime is Bentree but it actually is fairly highly rated on apartmentratings.com, although a lot of the apartments in Florence only have a few or no ratings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina