Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 03:02 PM

9,934 posts, read 7,600,690 times

Advertisements

I got the letter today. I signed up for Experian a few months back. Do I need to do anything else.

Is this letter just basically confirming that my info was hacked? I'm not too happy about that but what can you do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 12:19 PM

606 posts, read 1,395,077 times
Got ours last week. It ticks me off, but really, the way we are all "in the system" one way or another, we are all sitting ducks to get hacked by anyone who really wants to do it. Doesn't matter what state we are in, what healthcare system we are a part of, what school we or our children attend, whether or not we give out our SSN or banking info. and so on...

Old 02-02-2013, 01:15 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,438,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie View Post
Got ours last week. It ticks me off, but really, the way we are all "in the system" one way or another, we are all sitting ducks to get hacked by anyone who really wants to do it. Doesn't matter what state we are in, what healthcare system we are a part of, what school we or our children attend, whether or not we give out our SSN or banking info. and so on...
The real issue here should be that those numbers are still not encrypted and it's well known that they are not. What are they waiting for? Another hacker? When your state places last in almost every measurable area, I guess you have to expect a bunch of dummies are running the systems. That's unacceptable in this day and age. I would love to see a class-action suit brought against the state for this.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
The real issue here should be that those numbers are still not encrypted and it's well known that they are not. What are they waiting for? Another hacker? When your state places last in almost every measurable area, I guess you have to expect a bunch of dummies are running the systems. That's unacceptable in this day and age. I would love to see a class-action suit brought against the state for this.
You are right. It is unacceptable.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:45 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,925,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey View Post
Pawley's Dude, AFAIK you won't get a letter if not hacked. From what I've read and understood if you didn't file online (filed paper returns instead) and didn't request any refunds to be deposited (either owed or got a check in the mail) into your bank account directly then you weren't hacked.
Thanks for the info ... I always get a busy signal when I try to call. We filed the old fashion way on paper.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:13 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,803,423 times
Thanks for all the responses. Still no letters, but several in our family got emails from Experian stating our "tax information was compromised." I'm not surprised.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:08 AM

3,961 posts, read 10,968,629 times
i never got the letter, but my wife did. Talked to our local bank, the teller's husband got the letter, she did not. Seemed odd that considering most married couples file jointly, that only one of the #s was "hit". So we're freezing our reports as well, and since we did do a direct deposit for our refund will have to talk more to our bank to see how we handle that info.

And for SC to only allow for 1 year of free protection? Not only do i call bs on that one, but i would not be surprised if by the end of the year something is done to extend that...

Old 02-05-2013, 10:04 PM

My husband and I file jointly. Both our letters came on the same day.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:26 PM

103 posts, read 324,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Both hubby and I got ours last week. Although we did the whole "identity theft" thing with the 1 year program a long time ago when it was first announced. Luckily we didn't have any refunds, so our checking account number wasn't with it. But I'm watching it as well.

I decided thatI was tired of messing around with it and just went in and locked all three credit reports as well. SC allows you to lock and unlock them for free and since I wasn't planning on needing anyone to check them anyway, I just locked them instead of a credit watch. Just make sure that I have the PIN numbers if I need to temporarily unlock for any reason.
Can you tell me how you were able to lock all 3 of your credit reports? Did you do it within the protect my ID website or did you contact each credit union? Thanks

Old 02-10-2013, 08:59 AM

672 posts, read 2,106,351 times
I got an email on Feb 1 from Experian on behalf on the SCDOR instead of a letter. I wish I had a paper letter since it's seems more official if my credit hits the fan.

I've signed up for the monitoring but I've also frozen my credit (for probably the rest of my natural born life). I still feel like I need to close my bank account and start a new one since I used direct deposit for my refund and that means my bank account number etc got hacked too.

John - here's how to freeze your credit (copied directly from my official email from SCDOR):

A stronger preventative step is to place a security freeze on your financial information. You can place, lift, or permanently remove the security freeze free of charge in South Carolina. When you place a freeze, if someone acquires your personal information he/she will not be able to open new accounts or borrow money in your name. You will need to contact ALL THREE credit bureaus to place the freeze. Keep in mind that you will not be able to borrow money or get instant credit, new credit cards, insurance, cell phone service or other utilities until you temporarily lift or permanently remove the freeze, and that a freeze cannot be placed for children unless a credit file has been opened on them (which is usually a sign of fraud). Contact information for all three credit bureaus is:

Equifax® Security Freeze
P.O. Box 105788
Atlanta, GA 30348
1-800-685-1111
www.freeze.equifax.com

Experian® Security Freeze
P.O. Box 9554
Allen, TX 75013
1-888-397-3742
www.experian.com/freeze

TransUnion® LLC
P.O. Box 6790
Fullerton, CA 92834-6790
1-888-909-8872
http://freeze.transunion.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
View detailed profiles of: