Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 08:39 AM

32 posts, read 107,482 times

Advertisements

I am a native of South Carolina and these statistics do not surprise me in the least. Click here and find South Carolina on the list.. If you don't like high crime this is not the place for you..State Rankings--Statistical Abstract of the United States--Violent Crime Per 100,000 Population - 2004
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 10:43 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,774,241 times
Alredy been posted here: South Carolina tops nation in violent crime rate according to FBI

Old 10-21-2007, 01:55 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,796,914 times
I've been a law enforcement officer for thirty eight years. You cannot determine the relative safety of a location based on the information shown. Crime tends to be a local problem. A far more accurate way is to compare specific locations. For example, when I worked as a homicide detective in NYC my squad covered four precincts in the the Bronx. Virtually all our homicides took place in two of them, and even there they were limited to certain neighborhoods. Other precincts in the Zone either had no homicides or they were very rare. Yet a generic statistical weighting of the crime rate of the Bronx would have indicated otherwise.

Rich

Old 10-21-2007, 04:39 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,321 times
This is old news and been discussed many times on here.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:42 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
I've been a law enforcement officer for thirty eight years. You cannot determine the relative safety of a location based on the information shown. Crime tends to be a local problem. A far more accurate way is to compare specific locations. For example, when I worked as a homicide detective in NYC my squad covered four precincts in the the Bronx. Virtually all our homicides took place in two of them, and even there they were limited to certain neighborhoods. Other precincts in the Zone either had no homicides or they were very rare. Yet a generic statistical weighting of the crime rate of the Bronx would have indicated otherwise.

Rich
I just can't believe the stats that I see about Myrtle Beach being so violent. I lived in the Bronx years ago, Las Vegas and Phoenix for many years and I just don't see how this area can be far worse than those. I have noticed some pockets of places but these stats are horrible!

Old 10-21-2007, 07:03 PM

32 posts, read 107,482 times
The statistics are there why ignore them?? This is per 1000,000 population..

Old 10-21-2007, 07:24 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,774,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickynlevy View Post
The statistics are there why ignore them?? This is per 1000,000 population..

If you live in this state then why do you bash it?

Old 10-21-2007, 10:52 PM

293 posts, read 826,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I just can't believe the stats that I see about Myrtle Beach being so violent. I lived in the Bronx years ago, Las Vegas and Phoenix for many years and I just don't see how this area can be far worse than those. I have noticed some pockets of places but these stats are horrible!

Sheena it's been a known fact that Myrtle Beach stat's are skewed because of the tourism it has. All of those festivals and events bring thousands of people into town...amongst those people are criminals to make good on naive tourist. And being a tourist you are way more apt to report an incident [no matter how mild] than you would be if you were from Myrtle Beach.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:15 PM

330 posts, read 1,196,519 times
I wonder if ricknylevy is actually trying to persuade a lot of transplants not to move here because he is having bad experiences with them so far or because he doesn't want his native area to be negatively affected..

If so, I can understand his reasoning.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:30 AM

737 posts, read 1,653,461 times
I don't understand why everyones panties are in a wad? For about the past 10 years SC has always been listed as one of the "most violent states", by fill in blank here_______, whatever the hell that means? I tell you what i felt safer on any street in SC than I have in NJ, PA, VA, DC, MD, or IL but then again that's my perspective. I know I was fortunate enough, or smart to survive the "mean streets" of Columbia while growing up in the St. Andrews/ Irmo area, LOL. But hey I guess I was one of the lucky ones? Damn gang bangers desroying SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina