Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 09:29 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times

Advertisements

Interesting news. As both the Greenville-Spartanburg Airport and the Charleston Airport continue to increase their passenger numbers and remain the top 2 airports in SC, a new carrier has talked to both these airports for possible future service. The new People Express. If this airline were to arrive at GSP and CHS, it would give GSP all the legacy carriers, plus Southwest, Allegiant and People Express. It would give CHS all the legacy carriers, plus Southwest, Jet Blue and People Express.

When this carrier takes flight, initial cities will be Newport News, Pittsburgh, Providence, Orlando, West Palm Beach. Apparently People Express has already been in talks with additional airports and that list includes Greenville and Charleston as well as Knoxville, Jacksonville, Syracuse, Buffalo, Portland (ME), Long Island MacArthur airport, Memphis, Cincinnati and Huntsville. Will be interesting to follow. Link below.

PEOPLExpress
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 09:51 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Quote:
After a 25-year absence, the airline brand synonymous with low-cost fares and unsurpassed customer service will return to the skies.
I thought I was losing my mind. I know my friend once flew this airline to Chicago from NY. Glad they have been reborn!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:54 AM

233 posts, read 282,140 times
I would not book a ticket more than a week out on a startup airline, most never make it. But, there will be at least one airline dropping service entirely at GSP.

And, looks like SWA is cutting back service, is that a result of the merger and reallocation of assets to large airports? I would expect to see SWA beef up service in Charlotte now hat they have gates. I read that the want more gates which may necessitate the construction of a new terminal or an expanson of concourse B at Douglas Intl.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I thought I was losing my mind. I know my friend once flew this airline to Chicago from NY. Glad they have been reborn!
Yes. They are in the process of being reborn. They seem well financed and are being run by some original People Express executives. We'll see how it goes. I wish them well.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:48 AM

8,235 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Interesting news. As both the Greenville-Spartanburg Airport and the Charleston Airport continue to increase their passenger numbers and remain the top 2 airports in SC, a new carrier has talked to both these airports for possible future service. The new People Express. If this airline were to arrive at GSP and CHS, it would give GSP all the legacy carriers, plus Southwest, Allegiant and People Express. It would give CHS all the legacy carriers, plus Southwest, Jet Blue and People Express.

When this carrier takes flight, initial cities will be Newport News, Pittsburgh, Providence, Orlando, West Palm Beach. Apparently People Express has already been in talks with additional airports and that list includes Greenville and Charleston as well as Knoxville, Jacksonville, Syracuse, Buffalo, Portland (ME), Long Island MacArthur airport, Memphis, Cincinnati and Huntsville. Will be interesting to follow. Link below.

PEOPLExpress

Is Newport News going to be the "hub"

Old 02-13-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Is Newport News going to be the "hub"
They are headquartered there, but they are not planning on having true hubs. Certain focus cities. It will be point to point on underserved routes, much the way Allegiant flies.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:13 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times
Quote:
They are headquartered there...
Maybe not. Pittsburgh Now in Running for PeopleExpress Headquarters - Daily Press

Old 02-13-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Good info. Glad to see Pittsburgh making a play. One of the execs lives in the Hampton Roads area, so I bet it all comes down to state incentives. Always about money.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:10 AM

8,235 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Quote:
They are headquartered there, but they are not planning on having true hubs. Certain focus cities. It will be point to point on underserved routes, much the way Allegiant flies.

I wonder what pairs SC will get connected with? I can see Greenville hooking up with Long Island as a cheaper alternative to the NYC airports... If Charleston is in the cards.. maybe they would connect with Buffalo or Memphis in order to bring in potential tourists from western PA, Upstate NY and Canada along and the mid west?

I cant imagine that it would be to West Palm or Orlando... Seems like direct flights to Orlando... should be in demand but it seems that most SC residents prefer to drive down there.....

Old 02-13-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post

I cant imagine that it would be to West Palm or Orlando... Seems like direct flights to Orlando... should be in demand but it seems that most SC residents prefer to drive down there.....
For Charleston people, driving works, I guess. Upstate is too far from FL, which I guess is why Allegiant offers nonstops from Greenville to Orlando, Tampa, Punta Gorda and Ft.Lauderdale, and then of course, Southwest offers nonstops from Greenville to Orlando. I wouldn't be shocked if PE offers nonstop to Florida from GSP. For Charleston, I agree, it makes sense PE would fly from more Midwestern locations. The amount of Ohio car tags I see in Charleston, Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach is amazing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina