Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 05:27 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Charlotte is really a NC-SC metro. York County in SC near Charlotte is SC's 7th most populated county. Part of the reason York County is growing is it has lower property taxes.

Greenville offers me more than any city in NC can. It is the largest metro near the Blue Ridge mountains in the two states, and I like the downtown area better than the ones in Charlotte, Raleigh, Asheville, and the Triad. It is not as cold as Asheville in the winter.

Greenville has a much larger white collar job market than Asheville. Asheville does not even have an Apple store.
Charlotte is still a North Carolina city. I like Greenville but it does not compare with the Raleigh-Durham area, especially in the areas of education, technology, and white collar jobs. And No city in S.C. has the uniqueness of Asheville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 07:05 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
NC, as a whole, is more progressive..SC has nothing that compares to the Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham areas and certainly not the Asheville area. NC is more like Virginia while SC is more llike other states in the south, like Georgia, Alabama, etc...
You’re comparing metros, not states. SC doesn’t have an Atlanta either.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
You’re comparing metros, not states. SC doesn’t have an Atlanta either.
States are made up of cities, towns, rural areas, etc....

Old 12-30-2017, 10:49 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
NC, as a whole, is more progressive..SC has nothing that compares to the Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham areas and certainly not the Asheville area. NC is more like Virginia while SC is more llike other states in the south, like Georgia, Alabama, etc...
When did VA cease to be a Southern state?

Old 12-30-2017, 10:51 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Charlotte is still a North Carolina city. I like Greenville but it does not compare with the Raleigh-Durham area, especially in the areas of education, technology, and white collar jobs. And No city in S.C. has the uniqueness of Asheville.
It's true that SC has no equivalents to Charlotte and the Triangle, but Charleston more than holds its own compared to Asheville.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's true that SC has no equivalents to Charlotte and the Triangle, but Charleston more than holds its own compared to Asheville.
Charleston is a wonderful historic city, but is completely different from Asheville. It is steeped in tradition, while lack of conformity is the norm in Asheville. Asheville is a smaller version of Austin without the high tech industry.

Old 12-31-2017, 05:54 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
When did VA cease to be a Southern state?
I’d say about 20 years ago but you can divide VA into two regions — Northern Virginia is, well, very northern. The rest of Virginia still has many, many areas of “southern-ness”. But, NoVa is dominating in the political voting so the entire state has gone “blue”.

And, per OP’s question, I’ll take South Carolina any day: “Smiling faces, beautiful places”.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:35 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Quote:
States are made up of cities, towns, rural areas, etc....
But you're not comparing towns and rural areas. You're only comparing large metros that SC doesn't happen to have.
For more apples to apples, is there a huge difference between suburban Charlotte on the SC vs NC side?

I find it odd people compare an entire state and not an actual city. An experience in rural Eastern NC will be nothing like Charlotte regardless of the advice one received from the internet. You can't live in an entire state at once.

In the actual state vs state debate, for people who like both mountains and the beach, SC has both much closer together than NC does.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
But you're not comparing towns and rural areas. You're only comparing large metros that SC doesn't happen to have.
For more apples to apples, is there a huge difference between suburban Charlotte on the SC vs NC side?

I find it odd people compare an entire state and not an actual city. An experience in rural Eastern NC will be nothing like Charlotte regardless of the advice one received from the internet. You can't live in an entire state at once.

In the actual state vs state debate, for people who like both mountains and the beach, SC has both much closer together than NC does.
But the suburban part of Charlotte that is in SC IS in South Carolina. Please refer to the OP's question:do you find SC or NC to be a better place to live?" Are you referring to the limited amount of mountains near the North Carolina border?

Old 12-31-2017, 12:47 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
I would say Greenville is at least as unique as Asheville.

Greenville is one of 7 or 8 cities in the country with an urban waterfall. I believe only Greenville and Spokane have a park around a waterfall located adjacent to the central business district.

Greenville also has a one of a kind pedestrian bridge over the waterfall.

People in Asheville have a diversity of political views. You seem to think everybody there is liberal. The most unique thing about Asheville is the Friday night drum circle but I don't think most residents of Asheville participate in that. I think a significant number of people will find the political activism in downtown Asheville to be annoying, not a pro to living in Asheville.

Greenville has a lot of college educated people. Charlotte and Raleigh are bigger but Greenville has a sizable job market. Nobody is guaranteed a good job in any city.

Greenville schools and schools throughout SC have cranked out students who do well in college and go into challenging professions like medicine, architecture, engineering, etc. I'm not sure how Raleigh schools could achieve a better outcome than this.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 12-31-2017 at 01:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina