Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 06:46 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,713 times

Advertisements

South Carolina is tied for the 10th most unhappy state in the union.

This according to Gallup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 08:15 AM

596 posts, read 937,571 times
that is not believable.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:25 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Does that mean people will stop moving here then? If so, I'm all for it.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:47 AM

apparently they consider obesity as one of the factors in determining happiness.

most fat people I know are pretty happy and linking weight to happiness is silly. based on the other critieria, it seems they are really trying to measure health, not happiness.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:44 AM

67 posts, read 135,239 times
I went to the Gallup site, and all I could find was a poll of "well-being", which I'm not sure is exactly equivalent to "happiness". Or perhaps there is another happy/unhappy poll I missed?
Not that it matters to me. I am extremely unhappy living in South Carolina (see my user name), and I don't feel like living here has contributed to my well-being either. But I do have some relatives who are happy here, as hard as it is for me to relate (pun intended) to the idea of liking this area.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoutofwaterinSC View Post
I went to the Gallup site, and all I could find was a poll of "well-being", which I'm not sure is exactly equivalent to "happiness". Or perhaps there is another happy/unhappy poll I missed?
Not that it matters to me. I am extremely unhappy living in South Carolina (see my user name), and I don't feel like living here has contributed to my well-being either. But I do have some relatives who are happy here, as hard as it is for me to relate (pun intended) to the idea of liking this area.
what's not to like about SC? You have fairly warm weather year round, low cost of living compared to other places, close to both beaches and mountains, a lot of new growth that you don't see up north, traffic isn't too bad, etc.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:45 AM

67 posts, read 135,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox35 View Post
what's not to like about SC? You have fairly warm weather year round, low cost of living compared to other places, close to both beaches and mountains, a lot of new growth that you don't see up north, traffic isn't too bad, etc.
Hmm, I know I should just leave it at "personal preferences" ... having an internal debate as I type this as to whether I will, or not, lol.

Just to answer your own list of pros,
- I prefer cold weather, so that's not a pro for me.
- Cost of living... true, that is a plus -- but I've always viewed it as "you get what you pay for", and the houses would be a lot more expensive if more people wanted to live here.
- It would be nice to be near a beach, but we're several hours away from the one DH likes. Others may be slightly closer, but still a couple hours away. If I'm going to drive several hours to a beach, I may as well live a full day's drive away for all the difference it makes.
- We're also 2 hours from the nearest mountain, and having a mountain to hike on is one of my personal high priorities. I like hiking regularly, not monthly or less.
- I'm not seeing much growth here, but then, I grew up in booming Florida, so that's all relative.
- Yes, I would rule out living any place that required me to drive in extremely bad/dangerous traffic on a regular basis, but there is a big, big country out here, and not all of it has traffic any worse than South Carolina. Some of the places with bad traffic have decent rail systems, too.

I could make my own very long list of dislikes and things I like better elsewhere, but yes, there's a lot of personal preference involved, and South Carolina just is not "my place".

Old 03-01-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoutofwaterinSC View Post
Hmm, I know I should just leave it at "personal preferences" ... having an internal debate as I type this as to whether I will, or not, lol.

Just to answer your own list of pros,
- I prefer cold weather, so that's not a pro for me.
- Cost of living... true, that is a plus -- but I've always viewed it as "you get what you pay for", and the houses would be a lot more expensive if more people wanted to live here.
- It would be nice to be near a beach, but we're several hours away from the one DH likes. Others may be slightly closer, but still a couple hours away. If I'm going to drive several hours to a beach, I may as well live a full day's drive away for all the difference it makes.
- We're also 2 hours from the nearest mountain, and having a mountain to hike on is one of my personal high priorities. I like hiking regularly, not monthly or less.
- I'm not seeing much growth here, but then, I grew up in booming Florida, so that's all relative.
- Yes, I would rule out living any place that required me to drive in extremely bad/dangerous traffic on a regular basis, but there is a big, big country out here, and not all of it has traffic any worse than South Carolina. Some of the places with bad traffic have decent rail systems, too.

I could make my own very long list of dislikes and things I like better elsewhere, but yes, there's a lot of personal preference involved, and South Carolina just is not "my place".
ok fair enough, although I would say that nice housing in SC isn't exactly cheap. Just not jacked up insane like housing in states like Maryland. A small poorly constructed townhome in MD goes for 300K or so.

I would say even SC gets too cold for me in the winters, especially as I get older. heat doesn't bother me but I cropped tobacco on a farm when I was a young buck.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:55 PM

23 posts, read 37,698 times
Well I hate it here, not that my opinion matters, it may just be this city, but we are doing our best to relocate out of here.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:34 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,874,111 times
I'm a native and there are things I love and things I don't love about SC. Lucky that we live in a geographically, politically, socially, etc... diverse country so that we can move around until we find our happy space. A recipe for happiness that I've concocted is as follows:

3 parts deciding to be happy in the space you are
2 parts contributing to your community using your gifts and talents to make it a better place
2 parts finding like-minded people to share time with
1 part constructive (HELPFUL) commentary to help stimulate positive growth

Add generous amounts of kindness, patience, curiosity, mix all together and add some Carolina sweet honey from the hive and bake in the beautiful Carolina sun. repeat over and over and over again

My faith contributes greatly to my happiness but everyone doesn't share my belief system, which is fine. Make the most each day, folks, wherever you happen to be. We aren't promised tomorrow and it is an awful shame to waste a minute of precious life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina