Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:59 AM

3 posts, read 7,590 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move from San Antonio, TX to Williamsburg SC looking for a new job. What I should know about Williamsburg before to move my family there? What I should be aware? I'm hispanic with 3 children. Reading information about this town show it as pretty small place and with a few population. Btw, I don't have any problem leaving on a small town but coming from a medium size city it might be a shock for my and my family. Lease house, entertainments, racism, etc. Any feedback with your experience will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 12:23 PM

12,902 posts, read 18,756,320 times
You are moving there looking for a job? What line of work are you in? Most if not all of rural South Carolina is struggling now. Do you have family there?

Old 05-14-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
You are moving there looking for a job? What line of work are you in? Most if not all of rural South Carolina is struggling now. Do you have family there?
My wife has a friend over there and mentioned that I might get a job on the same company...before go and continue doing plans to move there I preferred to find out how is Williamsburg and if make sense the change....currently I'm unemployed and don't have too many options here.

Thanks

Old 05-14-2013, 12:50 PM

The unemployment rate in Williamsburg County in March was 11.2%. The state's unemployment rate was 8.4%, the tenth worst in the nation. If you have a good lead for a job and have the resources to come for a visit, why not? I have never been to San Antonio, but you definitely would be switching from the city life to the country or small town life.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
The unemployment rate in Williamsburg County in March was 11.2%. The state's unemployment rate was 8.4%, the tenth worst in the nation. If you have a good lead for a job and have the resources to come for a visit, why not? I have never been to San Antonio, but you definitely would be switching from the city life to the country or small town life.
Yes, definitely that is a huge change going from the city to a small town life....personally I enjoy and like the town life but my wife is afraid that she won't enjoy it at all having all her life leaving at San Antonio....so that's why I need to find out more information about this town and what I would expect once that I land over there. If you already walked thru Williamsburg or anybody that you know had any experience leaving there will be welcome. I know that it will be a town life but would like to know what else we would be facing if we decide to go over there.

Thanks for your help!!

Mike

Old 05-14-2013, 01:18 PM

I googled Williamsburg, SC and got only Williamsburg County. Kingstree is the county seat. I have heard that Kingstree is a pretty town.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:33 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,171 times
STAY. IN. TEXAS!

The economy there is SO much more vibrant than anywhere in SC. Williamsburg Co. is in the middle if nowhere. The culture shock alone should give you pause.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:27 PM

255 posts, read 610,364 times
I'm from Williamsburg County, but I live in Florence. Williamsburg County is a great place to live if you like to live in a rural setting. From Williamsburg County, you could commute to numerous cities such as Charleston, Georgetown, Myrtle Beach, Columbia, and Sumter to name a few. The county has a transit system which the locals would call it "the beach bus" that commute folks to those cities for better opportunities. The only positive thing that I could see in the county is that the land is dirt cheap compare to other areas of the state. As far as educational value concerns with the school system, my advice for you is to look elsewhere like Georgetown County, Berkeley County, and Florence County.

Kingstree is the county seat of Williamsburg County with a population of approx 3,200. As far as stores, Kingstree has an IGA, a Bi-Lo, and a Food Lion. They used to have Piggly Wiggly, but it was shut down. Kingstree has the basic chain restaurants such as McDonalds, Hardees, Pizza Hut, King Po Chinese Restaurant (best restaurant in Kingstree), Subway, and Sonic. It also has a hospital which is more of a "bandaid hospital" that would fix you up long enough to go to a bigger hospital such as the ones in Charleston or Florence.

Even though Williamsburg County has a bad rep from the state, to me personally, it has potential to become a prosperous county if they could use their location as a tool to generate jobs into the county. If this happens, then more money would be spent in Williamsburg County rather than other counties that are prospering.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:02 PM

255 posts, read 610,364 times
There also are numerous manufacturing sites in WC

Old 06-01-2013, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,373 times
I just moved to Williamsburg county from a large southern city. Williamsburg is a large rural county, but your family may take comfort in living inside the town limits of Kingstree. Kingstree have more sit down restaurants than the typical fast food chains. They are not the familiar Applebees, Olive Garden, etc but the food and service are great. The Amtrak station has "Grand Central Station" restaurant for elegant dining. Eddie & Freddies grill delicious steaks which I believe are better than some chain steakhouses. There is a Hibachi and a Mexican restaurants and Scott's Barbecue near Hemingway has been featured by several TV shows, and magazines.

Williamsburg Regional Hospital has improved their services. They have a new ICU center there. The services are a little more than just "Band-Aid" service today. However you will have to go to Florence or Charleston for more advance procedures.

Do not be afraid of the unemployment statistics. We found job opportunities as soon as we moved here. If you are talented and confident, you should not have a problem with employment. However you may expect to commute to other towns/cities. The commute can be about less than an hour to Charleston, Sumter, Florence or coastal areas.

The cost of housing is very affordable. You can lease a home for about $600/month average. Purchasing property is just as good. You maybe surprise the type of homes you can purchase. The school district as a whole is below average, but there are elementary schools with great teachers. There is the Williamsburg County Magnet School of the Arts in Kingstree for grades K-5. There are other options like Williamsburg Academy (private school) and Lake City College Preparatory Academy (Charter school) in Lake City.

Majority of the people are real cool, down to earth. People that you don't know will wave to you and say hello. I would be naive to say there is no racism here, but most of people here are nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina