U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 11:28 PM

37,250 posts, read 38,148,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
This may have been mentioned previously, but Greenville-Spartanburg is the largest TV market in SC because it includes northeast Georgia and western NC and Asheville. But Charlotte is the largest TV market in the Carolinas, which also includes counties in SC such as York and Lancaster.

But in terms of metro areas and population, is Charleston larger or is it Columbia or Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson?
The order for metropolitan areas (MSA) according to the most recent Census estimates is Greenville-Anderson-Mauldin (906,626), Columbia (833,165), then Charleston-North Charleston (787,643). To round out the top five, there's Myrtle Beach-Conway-North Myrtle Beach (480,891) and Spartanburg (341,298).

For combined statistical areas (CSA), there's Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson (1,479,030), Columbia-Orangeburg-Newberry (958,619), and Myrtle Beach-Conway (543,140). Charleston doesn't have a CSA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 09:14 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,404,809 times
IMO It's all in the quality of "LIFE"

Old 01-21-2020, 10:31 AM

7,719 posts, read 12,055,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
We won't know for sure until this year's Census is done and even then I'm not sure we'll know given moves the current administration has made or proposed that will discourage participation by certain groups of people. The yearly estimates have Charleston surpassing Columbia but the numbers can be wildly off-base compared to official Census numbers. Nevertheless, I'd wager that it has indeed happened already.
By comparison.. I wonder which city has annexed more? That tends to be the easiest way to boost population. Both Charleston and Columbia have run into opposition in the past.. though I think opposition in Charleston has been more aggressive on the adjacent islands in more recent years...Columbia's vocal opposition has decreased with the exception of that dust up in north Columbia which I believe was brought on by the local County Council rep.

Also.. I though the General Assembly passed a law (or it is on the books) that a city cannot incorporate if it is within so many miles of an existing city/town? This was to thwart glorified HOAs from becoming towns and ringing in other central cities....That is likely a greater threat in a place like Charleston with James Island et al incorporating and where you already have a half dozen existing cities and town already surrounding Charleston.. though most were founded decades ago before this law

Old 01-21-2020, 03:28 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,824,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
By comparison.. I wonder which city has annexed more? That tends to be the easiest way to boost population. Both Charleston and Columbia have run into opposition in the past.. though I think opposition in Charleston has been more aggressive on the adjacent islands in more recent years...Columbia's vocal opposition has decreased with the exception of that dust up in north Columbia which I believe was brought on by the local County Council rep.

Also.. I though the General Assembly passed a law (or it is on the books) that a city cannot incorporate if it is within so many miles of an existing city/town? This was to thwart glorified HOAs from becoming towns and ringing in other central cities....That is likely a greater threat in a place like Charleston with James Island et al incorporating and where you already have a half dozen existing cities and town already surrounding Charleston.. though most were founded decades ago before this law

Charleston only added 1,078 persons through annexation between 2010-2019.

https://www.charleston-sc.gov/Docume...tion_Estimates

Charleston's population growth was primarily driven by annexing raw land that was subsequently developed. But it seems in the past few of years(post Mayor Riley), other than minor in-fill annexations, its focus is no longer on growth via annexation.

Old 01-21-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
Charleston only added 1,078 persons through annexation between 2010-2019.

https://www.charleston-sc.gov/Docume...tion_Estimates

Charleston's population growth was primarily driven by annexing raw land that was subsequently developed. But it seems in the past few of years(post Mayor Riley), other than minor in-fill annexations, its focus is no longer on growth via annexation.
Wow.. I guess I shouldnt be surprised by it being that low.. It is certainly easier to annex raw land and let it develop than to take it in after the fact.. The need for services is often the driving factor is some cases.. your tax bill may go up but your water/sewer/trash bill may go down..So it may or may not be a wash depending on the tax rate. If I am reading the chart correctly.. there are 156,000 people that live in those areas but not in the City Limits? wow.. that is almost double the population.. Then you have all the other municipalities like North Charleston, Hanahan, Mt. Pleasant, Goose Creek etc that ring Charleston.. Columbia doesn't have that issue and the towns that do surround the City..Irmo is the only one that is aggressively annexing and even then that's in areas mostly away from where Columbia is going though not entirely. Same with Cayce and West Columbia though Cayce boldly annexed some student housing just south of Columbia and in Richland County though Cayce is in Lexington County . Most of the Charleston areas town/cities seem to be somewhat aggressive in their annexation..

I wonder about the politics factor? As I mentioned in my prior post.. In Columbia, a Richland County Councilman invited City of Columbia staff to a community meeting and bashed them over annexation, which, to me, seems like a strategy to thwart any potential effort by scaring residents. The reason being that he felt if the area was annexed it would dilute his power over those residents..Residents in a city have both city and county reps.. but tend to lean towards their city rep. .thus County reps feel left out or have less influence thus dislike incorporated areas in their districts especially expanding ones.....

Old 01-21-2020, 03:41 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,824,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Wow.. I guess I shouldnt be surprised by it being that low.. It is certainly easier to annex raw land and let it develop than to take it in after the fact.. The need for services is often the driving factor is some cases.. your tax bill may go up but your water/sewer/trash bill may go down..So it may or may not be a wash depending on the tax rate. I wonder about the politics factor? As I mentioned in my prior post.. In Columbia, a Richland County Councilman invited City of Columbia staff to a community meeting and bashed them over annexation, which, to me, seems like a strategy to thwart any potential effort by scaring residents. The reason being that he felt if the area was annexed it would dilute his power over those residents..Residents in a city have both city and county reps.. but tend to lean towards their city rep. .thus County reps feel left out or have less influence thus dislike incorporated areas in their districts especially expanding ones.....

Also, I'm not sure if the state ever addressed the donut hole annexation issue. I tend to doubt it.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure if the state ever addressed the donut hole annexation issue. I tend to doubt it.

I do as well... there are likely some well known donut holes in cities throughout the state where the property owners are powerful stubborn or both and don't want to be subject to the laws of the municipality but want all the benefits of living inside of one.. In some a county trash truck must drive a mile or more just to pick up trash in a donut hole unless there is some cooperative agreement with the local municipality that surrounds it...Again, donut holes of a certain size should be required to come into the municipality by force if for no other reason for efficiency of public services mainly police and utilities. Most fire departments have co op agreements so the likelihood that a city fire truck will stop at the city limit and watch a house in a donut hole burn is not ethical nor likely.. same.. in many cases with police..But the likelihood that the guy on the back of a leaf truck wont pick up a bag of leaves in a donut hole is more likely as they may not know where the line is unless there is an overt effort on the part of the municipality to make a point to the denizens of the donut hole......

Old 01-22-2020, 01:00 PM

37,250 posts, read 38,148,140 times
Quote:
It comes up every year in the state legislature but really goes nowhere.

Old 01-22-2020, 02:21 PM

1,106 posts, read 762,635 times
Is it really any question which city would be the biggest (city proper wise) if easier annexation laws were made in this state? There are maybe 150,000+ people in Northeast Columbia alone, and annexing those people into the city would significantly help the tax burden problem we have. Though there would still be lots of work to do on that front.

Old 01-24-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Is it really any question which city would be the biggest (city proper wise) if easier annexation laws were made in this state? There are maybe 150,000+ people in Northeast Columbia alone, and annexing those people into the city would significantly help the tax burden problem we have. Though there would still be lots of work to do on that front.

If Columbia wanted to be aggressive.. they should go through the HOA.. Harbison, The Summit, and Lake Carolina alone would add hundreds of people and parcels to the city's tax rolls. Many HOAs are not strong nor even supported by their own residents so it could still be a challenge.. but it would be an initial first step as opposed to waiting on a single homeowner to petition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina