Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 08:05 AM

2,163 posts, read 3,098,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMom123 View Post
My son works at one of the MB Piggly Wiggly's and is in management. He said they have recently gotten rid of the greenbax merchandise books, are selling out of their Piggly Wiggly brand items such as T-shirts, and their Click-N-Shop has gone down.

He said everyone knows something is happening but doesn't know what yet. It kind of seems like a done deal if they are taking these steps so why don't they announce it? He's in management and kind of worried about his job.

Do you know if there is anything new on this front?
Piggly Wiggly Myrtle Beach is owned by Piggly Wiggly Carolina out of Charleston. I do know that they have recently sold several stores to other franchisees. For example, Andrews, Georgetown, Summerton and Chesterfield were just sold to Piggly Wiggly Central earlier this month.

So, if his store is performing OK, he may not be in danger of closing, but rather a sale to another franchisee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 05:01 PM

21,003 posts, read 26,983,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
Kroger is not wanting back into Florida. No way, no how.
Kroger's acquisition of Harris Teeter, if finalized, will include one store in Florida, a Harris Teeter. This would mark Kroger's return to Florida.

Publix and Kroger are the dominant traditional grocers in Atlanta. With the competition expanding into new markets, Kroger will look to keep up against Publix. Bi-Lo/Winn Dixie would be a boost to Kroger if they want to cover the southeastern United States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
When did this happen? I prefer Reid's as a corporate sibling to Food Lion, not Bi-Lo. Not to mention locally I prefer the Reid's in Cayce compared to the Bi-Lo right next door to it.

EDIT -- Ugh. Just did a web search. Not a fan of all the grocery stores merging with Kroger buying HT and now Reid's going to Bi-Lo.
http://www.bi-lo.com/about/press-det...elhaize-group/

I see Bi-Lo and Reid's currently coexisting in Bateburg-Leesville and York Street in Aiken. Two stores will be closing when the sale finalizes.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:12 PM

128 posts, read 242,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMom123 View Post
My son works at one of the MB Piggly Wiggly's and is in management. He said they have recently gotten rid of the greenbax merchandise books, are selling out of their Piggly Wiggly brand items such as T-shirts, and their Click-N-Shop has gone down.

He said everyone knows something is happening but doesn't know what yet. It kind of seems like a done deal if they are taking these steps so why don't they announce it? He's in management and kind of worried about his job.

Do you know if there is anything new on this front?

HT is buying 5 PW stores in the Myrtle Beach area. Not sure which ones though. The stores will remain open until the deal is done and then the stores will close for 8-10 weeks so that they can get facelifts and reopen as HT. I'm surprised your son hasn't heard anything about this. He should ask some of his vendors about it. For some reason vendors always have the inside scoop on these deals. I do know that HT has a lot of people in management training in the Charleston market. When the buy out is complete then those MB stores will start in the same district as the Charleston stores.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:46 PM

845 posts, read 1,785,065 times
That's very interesting. Harris Teeter wants to have a foothold in the market. Piggly Wiggly I guess is trying to retreat.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:19 AM

845 posts, read 1,785,065 times
Piggly Wiggly selling off several stores to Bi-Lo and Kroger: Piggly Wiggly to sell several stores – The Post and Courier

Old 09-13-2013, 01:16 AM

21,003 posts, read 26,983,613 times
I think Piggly Wiggly Carolina will be no more soon, or in Greenwood and Saluda counties. Bi-Lo picked up the better Piggly Wiggly near Coronoca. Piggly Wiggly's other stores in Greenwood, Ninety Six, Saluda and Ware Shoals are limited to serve their communities. Ware Shoals and Ninety Six closing would create food deserts in small towns.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:48 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,447,435 times
Piggly Wiggly is probably on its way out. My first exposure to them was when I was in Charleston, and I didn't understand what the big deal was except that the rednecks there thought it was cool to wear the Piggly Wiggly t-shirts with the huge cartoon pig on the front. The store itself (the one in West Ashley off U.S. 17) was large but not as clean as others like Publix and Harris Teeter. In contrast, I went to one at Litchfield Beach and it was much nicer.

Growing up in Greenville, I had never heard of Piggly Wiggly. I don't think there was a market for them there, with other (nicer) chains already with a foothold in the area.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:56 PM

15,703 posts, read 9,405,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I didn't understand what the big deal was except that the rednecks there thought it was cool to wear the Piggly Wiggly t-shirts with the huge cartoon pig on the front.
I have a theory that if you are about to pass a car that has a Piggly Wiggly bumper sticker, you can typically guess the body type of everyone in that car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina