U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 06:20 PM

7,933 posts, read 6,393,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I took this a few years ago, but I believe the Orangeburg Pig is still open and still looks like this.

Old School Pig by Joseph C. Hinson Photography, on Flickr
Fantastic photo!!!! Exactly how I remember The Pig as a kid growing up in Alabama. Sad part here, those stores had a smell....sort of a dirty grease smell.....if this store has not been remodeled, I can only imagine it has that smell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 07:32 PM

2,909 posts, read 1,942,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Publix is taking over some Bi-Lo stores in Rock Hill and Charlotte. Harris Teeter is taking over some Piggly Wiggly stores in Charleston. Eventually it looks like the grocery market in the Carolinas will be dominated by Publix, Kroger/Harris Teeter, and Walmart. Leaving Ingle's, Food Lion, and Bi-Lo struggling to survive somewhere.
Indeed, Publix, Kroger and Walmart will be the leading grocers in the Carolinas. They will find ways to be dominant.

Bi-Lo and Food Lion have struggled for years. Food Lion appears to be lost for good. Bi-Lo Holdings is attractive to be acquired later ahead.

Ingle's, though small, remains strong. One wonders if they will be aggressive adding stores and increasing the presence in various markets.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:02 PM

48 posts, read 20,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Several Piggly Wiggly stores across South Carolina and Georgia will soon be changing into Bi-Lo Supermarkets.

-- Railroad Avenue, Bamberg, S.C.
-- 50 Burnt Church Road, Bluffton, S.C.
-- 445 Meeting Street, Charleston, S.C.
-- 630 Skylark Drive, Charleston, S.C.
-- 136 South Main Street, Clover, S.C.
-- 4711-1 Forest Drive, Columbia, S.C.
-- 104 Jungle Road, Edisto Beach, S.C.
-- 3353 Highway 72/221 East, Greenwood, S.C.
-- 3575 Maybank Highway, Johns Island, S.C.
-- 9616 Highway 78, Ladson, S.C.
-- 760 Highway 378, Lexington, S.C.
-- 4360 Augusta Road, Lexington, S.C.
-- 208 East McIntyre Street, Mullins, S.C.
-- 115 Willbrook Boulevard, Pawleys Island, S.C.

Piggly Wiggly sells 22 stores to Bi-Lo - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC
PW North closed down several months ago. It's for sale. No one's buying it. They used to have high prices in that ghetto neighborhood and some food had expired dates on it. The next PW is 6 mi. down the road in Neeses. No grocery store within 6 miles from there. Closest Walmart 15 miles.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:03 PM

15,565 posts, read 17,695,308 times
I thought that Harris Teeter was taking the SC Piggly Wigglys, and the BILOs were taking the GA stores?
I am a Rep for a product with stores in SE GA and SC and I can tell you that the Pigs that I service are woefully behind in technology. My BILOs and Harris Teeters are very, very nice stores. The Pig employees are being kept through the take overs I believe, so I think they will be happy with the change.
I understand the allegiance to Piggly Wiggly in the south, since I lived here briefly in 1968, and Piggly Wiggly was in business then. The fact that they have resisted modernization for this long is admirable, but the fact that you think it is cheap is the reason why they have not succeeded. FYI, I shop at Publix in my town, but if I thought Piggly Wiggly was that much cheaper I would shop there more.
In the city where I live there are 3 grocery stores, A Publix and Piggly Wiggly, and a Food Lion. The Piggly Wiggly is the least nice store of the 3, and I feel that when BILO takes it over it will give the Publix a run for it's money.
I service stores like Walmart, Publix, Harris Teeter, Bilo, Food Lion and others. The product I represent is upscale. It appeals to health conscious customers who are willing to pay more for quality. My product does less well in Walmart than Harris Teeter. Bottom line, if you only want the cheapest, you can still to to Walmart. If you want customer service and quality, you can find that too.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:21 PM

48 posts, read 20,937 times
There are high class and low class stores within every brand. I've seen a very quality Piggly Wiggly and a very ****ty one. My first reaction when I saw a name PIGGLY WIGGLY was to run in disgust. Cause it associated me with pigs, fat people, overeating and also with insulting the customer by being a fat glutton.

I believe Harris Teeter and Publix are the best food stores in Scarylina. Then goes all others such as The Pig Wig, The Buy Low, The Food Feline and The Food Liner (probably meant to be a knockoff of Food Lion), The Hablamos Ingles, The Hans Aldi and The Walton-Mart. While I shop at Walton Mart, because I find most prices lower than anywhere else and the quality of the food the same and the people there are LOVELY as well. Used to shop at ALDI, but takes me a long drive to get there and it has not got much that I use anymore as I eat very healthy foods. I do buy fresh vegetable salads from ALDI whenever I happen to drive past it. Been to Kroger twice in my life, I think it's a decent food store. I'm looking for something extraordinary that no one else yet came up with, such as a Supersized food market where you could find foods from the entire world. Stuff like sunflower halva, Japanese nori, Siberian cedar nuts, Lithuanian beer, Armenian brandy, buckwheat, surprise me.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:05 PM

2,909 posts, read 1,942,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I thought that Harris Teeter was taking the SC Piggly Wigglys, and the BILOs were taking the GA stores?
I am a Rep for a product with stores in SE GA and SC and I can tell you that the Pigs that I service are woefully behind in technology. My BILOs and Harris Teeters are very, very nice stores. The Pig employees are being kept through the take overs I believe, so I think they will be happy with the change.
I understand the allegiance to Piggly Wiggly in the south, since I lived here briefly in 1968, and Piggly Wiggly was in business then. The fact that they have resisted modernization for this long is admirable, but the fact that you think it is cheap is the reason why they have not succeeded. FYI, I shop at Publix in my town, but if I thought Piggly Wiggly was that much cheaper I would shop there more.
In the city where I live there are 3 grocery stores, A Publix and Piggly Wiggly, and a Food Lion. The Piggly Wiggly is the least nice store of the 3, and I feel that when BILO takes it over it will give the Publix a run for it's money.
I service stores like Walmart, Publix, Harris Teeter, Bilo, Food Lion and others. The product I represent is upscale. It appeals to health conscious customers who are willing to pay more for quality. My product does less well in Walmart than Harris Teeter. Bottom line, if you only want the cheapest, you can still to to Walmart. If you want customer service and quality, you can find that too.
I can recall visiting Piggly Wiggly in Ware Shoals in the late 1990s. As you described, the store was behind in technology and the curve to better service its customers.

Piggly Wiggly fell behind and were a long shot to catch up. It is unfortunate to see them downsize, but it is logical based on the decisions made to get where they are at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina