Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 01:02 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,860,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I find it pathetic that the Gamecock football coach has the authority to influence who can and can't cover his team at the local newspaper. It has always been obvious that the University of South Carolina essentially runs the city of Columbia, but this shenanigan having Morris fired is too much. To top it all off, Spurrier recommended that a longtime fan nicknamed "Superfan" get the job covering Gamecock football - and he did! Amazing. If Columbia wants to be taken seriously as a city, such small town, good 'ol boy politics have to stop.

Interestingly, the national attention from other media outlets resulted in The State backing down from its censoring of Morris. Still looks really bad for the newspaper and university, though.
It looks seriously bad that one city is so controlled by a university. I hope there are no journalism students at USC, if so, these ridiculous actions by the The State newspaper are certainly not examples of professional journalism to be followed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 01:27 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
First, let's say for the sake of arguement that The State actually did fire Morris, which they didn't do as you can see from my last post. Why would they be wrong? They are a private company and can fire anyone tehy want. If he was costing them enough subscribers adn advertisers, they'd be crazy not to let him go. I mean, no one was this up in arms when 560 The Team let Corey Miller go or 101.1 WVOC let Keven Cohen go.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:38 PM

800 posts, read 1,463,598 times
So, Clemson fans, am I to understand that if a Greenville or Anderson sports columnist were to start spewing the kind of unfounded junk about Clemson that Morris was spewing about USC, you'd be OK with it? I doubt we'll ever get to find out, because you'll never see it happen.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:47 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,667,816 times
If the State Rag did not have USC to write about, it would be out of business. Without the front page banner pics of USC, few would buy that rag.

The State rag lives or dies by USC.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:58 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,860,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
If the State Rag did not have USC to write about, it would be out of business. Without the front page banner pics of USC, few would buy that rag.

The State rag lives or dies by USC.
LOL. Although, The State could still survive on the many stories about the homeless or the endless stories they write trying to sell people on downtown. Ron Morris, apparently has his job back and can write about USC again, but I'm sure it comes with strings like "write only positive stories about Spurrier......don't write the truth". LOL.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:14 AM

12,905 posts, read 18,756,320 times
What a bunch of garbage.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:32 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,469,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Rooster View Post
So, Clemson fans, am I to understand that if a Greenville or Anderson sports columnist were to start spewing the kind of unfounded junk about Clemson that Morris was spewing about USC, you'd be OK with it? I doubt we'll ever get to find out, because you'll never see it happen.
Clemson fans put up with Bart Wright, sports editor for The Greenville News, for 11 years. He was arrogant and whiny in general, and certainly negative about Clemson whenever he got the chance to be. He is no longer with the newspaper, as of a couple of months ago, and it was never really announced as to why. I'm confident it wasn't because of his negative slant toward Clemson though. Otherwise, he would have been fired years ago.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:26 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Clemson fans put up with Bart Wright, sports editor for The Greenville News, for 11 years. He was arrogant and whiny in general, and certainly negative about Clemson whenever he got the chance to be. He is no longer with the newspaper, as of a couple of months ago, and it was never really announced as to why. I'm confident it wasn't because of his negative slant toward Clemson though. Otherwise, he would have been fired years ago.
I just noticed that Bart had not written an article in a while. And you bring up a good point, if Clemson had any influence, Bart would have been gone a long time ago. I think the same applies to Carolina, if Carolina had half as much influence in Columbia as has been implied, Morris would have been fired years ago. The fact that he is still working at The State and was in the press box at Williams Brice last weekend speaks to the "influence" Carolina has at The State.

And, that is why this is such a non issue for 99.9% of the people who think. First, The State is a private organization that hires, fires and assigns based on what is best for their organization. It is part of McClatchy based in California. So, other than folks like GSUPSTATE who has made it a mission to bash Columbia with dumb comments for the better part of 5 years, The State's internal decisions are irrelevant and a non issue.

I still laugh at the notion that Carolina runs Columbia. I wish it did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina