Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 11:56 AM

61 posts, read 136,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
So you live in Mass and you're thinking of moving to SC and you're concerned about a child you don't have yet being accepted if they are gay?

It's pretty easily discovered that SC is a conservative state that currently does not recognize same sex marraige. While I may be wrong, I don't see that changing any time soon. Columbiadata will probably know more about the current situation of legislation on the subject than I.

In general, larger population areas will tend to be more accepting than rural areas. I find this is due to larger population areas tend to be a little more diverse and there's a larger chance of people knowing, either through work or personally, someone that is gay. It's been my experience that this personal relationship does more to move people's attitude than any level of activism. When it's personal, when it's your friend, it's a lot harder to say you're against something like same sex marriage when you know how it's going to affect someone you care about. Rural areas, more than not, won't have as much opportunity for this and change has to come through activism which can often be viewed as someone trying to force something down their throats they don't want.

Of all of the people I've spoken to about same sex marriage, those outright opposed are by a large margin in the minority. I live in a metropolitan area of SC. However, almost all who aren't outright opposed support changing the gov to support civil unions and just letting marriage be a religious issue between the couple and the church. No church should be forced to marry a couple where they don't believe in the union. It would not surprise me if you found a different view from small town SC. Church and religion are big part of life in SC.

I don't normally see a lot of flamboyantly gay men or openly transgender. Most of the gay couples I know are just like everyone else around them.. their partners are simply the same sex.

Peer acceptance in schools.. that would probably be a hot and cold issue. By in large, kids today tend to be more accepting than adults on this. But, there will be some that will use it to pick and bully. Again though, this will probably vary depending on the area of SC you would live in.

All of this seems to be a touch over the top for someone thinking about moving and are concerned about a child that doesn't exist yet and may or may not be born homosexual. Move here because YOU want to move here. If you end up having a kid and that kid turns out to be homosexual, deal with it at the time. If they aren't accepted.... move.

Why do you want to move to SC?
The basic reasons I want to move is for climate change and lower living costs/taxes. I understand wages are less as well. But the number 1 reason for wanting to move is climate change. I don't want to deal with snow storms anymore. I'm aware there's occasional snow, but here we have snow most days, last year storms with almost 3 feet of snow at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Before I left Massachusetts I would find a job in SC. Are you married? There is more important things to be worrying yourself over for your 'children of the future.'

Unemployment is terrible here in SC ... locating a good pediatrician for their young lives ... oh I put the horse before the cart there. You will have to find a good OB/GYN doc before your 'children of the future' are born and make sure they are affiliated with a good hospital. Be prepared for neighbors to inquire and invite you to their church. You are considering moving to the Bible Belt.

During your gestation period you can locate a pediatrician. Then Priority One for your 'children of the future' should be their education. SC is the pits in certain areas as far as education goes. You can check the stats on our public school systems online.

Don't move here if you need Section 8 housing, Welfare or Medicaid as our Governor has cut these programs drastically. SC opted out of the Affordable Care Act pools (welfare.) First and foremost should be a job for you and your mate.

It's not really logical to worry about your 'children of the future' but I guess that is better than worrying about a nuclear war or the amount of weapons grade plutonium stored at SRS in South Carolina.

The main thing to remember about your 'children of the future' is ... how you raise them. What kind of values you instill in your 'children of the future.'
I'm going to be married within a year or 2. I'm purely just looking for information for the future. I will find a job before I move. My future husband is training to be an electrician. I've been posting around the forum trying to get all the best information on crime, education, health care and all the other necessities. I'm planning on apartment living until we buy land for a modular home.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moab1 View Post
Most the schools here are fine, if you were to transplant these unmotivated kids from lower income families to the "good" schools up north, they wouldn't be good anymore.

I get tired of people saying schools in SC are bad. If your kid is a good student, he can take AP classes and get college credit in SC.
I was planning on raising my child to take education seriously. I obviously can't be 100% sure they'll be good students but people have said before that the education system isn't good down there, but I would be willing to do tutoring for my child if they need it.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:11 PM

For everyone who's been posting. I'm not obsessing. I was simply asking how accepted gays are in the state.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:21 PM

140 posts, read 191,775 times
In rural areas... not accepted at all. If you had a gay kid, he'd probably be bullied to death. If you went to bigger cities like Columbia and Charleston it would probably be more accepted, but it's nowhere near as liberal as MA.

SC is just not a comfortable place to be if you are a nonreligious person..

Old 10-23-2013, 07:08 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyontheInternet View Post
In rural areas... not accepted at all. If you had a gay kid, he'd probably be bullied to death. If you went to bigger cities like Columbia and Charleston it would probably be more accepted, but it's nowhere near as liberal as MA.

SC is just not a comfortable place to be if you are a nonreligious person..
I was born and raised here and have lived here all my life except for five years in DC in my early 20's, and I'm gay, nonreligious and very comfortable.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:12 PM

5 posts, read 18,016 times
Great question for you to ask... me thinks you will be a great mom too!

Ive never lived in South Carolina but have lived in an adjoining state and have driven through there many times.

Im sure in say 10-13 years, as a gay kid born today would be figuring out their sexual orientation, South Carolina might be better in its acceptance than it is today.

Having said that.... it is the deep south and if you look at how other minorities such as African-Americans and Hispanics are treated, I would say that might give you a better idea how far behind the state is in equality for all people.

If your child grows up in a larger city, I think s/he will have better opportunities to know others in a diverse environment. That way, regardless if gay or straight, your child will know others who are different from him/her.

Have you looked at Florida? The cost of living here is higher but places like Orlando and South Florida are pretty open-minded and much more progressive in accepting people as they are.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:51 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,427,778 times
I had to laugh at this question, and my first reaction to write was,"Why worry about your child being gay if you are not gay!" Your child will learn from you and his/her environment from birth so much. I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter, so I really am seeing this. I still am undecided if people are born gay or not, but it sure seems that young children copy and learn so much, my daughter actually copies, and repeats things she sees her mother and me do, which leads me to kinda believe people choose to be gay, but I am still not sure. I just don't think it is right, and do believe it is sinful.
I still would never even think of this because it seems just like you don't have to worry about such a thing. You won't have any gay children so stop worrying about it! Live one day at a time, and stop thinking so much about the future! There are enough things to worry about in one day.

Last edited by Serenity2019; 11-01-2013 at 07:15 AM..

Old 11-06-2013, 12:14 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
I had to laugh at this question, and my first reaction to write was,"Why worry about your child being gay if you are not gay!" Your child will learn from you and his/her environment from birth so much. I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter, so I really am seeing this. I still am undecided if people are born gay or not, but it sure seems that young children copy and learn so much, my daughter actually copies, and repeats things she sees her mother and me do, which leads me to kinda believe people choose to be gay, but I am still not sure. I just don't think it is right, and do believe it is sinful.
I still would never even think of this because it seems just like you don't have to worry about such a thing. You won't have any gay children so stop worrying about it! Live one day at a time, and stop thinking so much about the future! There are enough things to worry about in one day.
I'm gay and every gay person I know had heterosexual parents so I know not where you obtain your information. This begs the question, when did you decide to be straight? The religious argument is so tiring, using your religion to deny other people equality. We don't live in a theocracy so religion is irrelevant in civic matters.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:17 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I'm gay and every gay person I know had heterosexual parents so I know not where you obtain your information. This begs the question, when did you decide to be straight? The religious argument is so tiring, using your religion to deny other people equality. We don't live in a theocracy so religion is irrelevant in civic matters.
You live in South Carolina. Religion is NOT irrevelant in civic matters in this state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina