Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 07:48 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Speaking of accents, yesterday I dropped in on the Carolina Panthers training camp in Spartanburg, and I heard a Panther fan talking in what sounded like a Southern accent with a bit of Pittsburgh influence. The Pittsburgh traits included the monophthongization of the "ow" sound so it comes out "ah," and the long "o" sound coming out "eaou" (start by pronouncing a short "e" sound and gradually turn it into a long "o" sound). Like if he said he was about to go, he'd say, "I'm abaht to geaou," but everything else sounded Southern. It makes me wonder if there's a bit of "Midland bleed" down the Appalachian Mountains when it comes to accents.
He/she could have been from Charlotte, which is full of Pittsburgh transplants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 05:43 PM

513 posts, read 576,416 times
As far as accents, I would agree with some of the previous comments, but I will say that any generalities are just that. Within each major metro, I notice a HUGE variation of accents, almost so that it is becoming harder to make these generalizations. This is kinda my perception. From Charleston natives, I hear a more "Old Proper Southern" accent, and you hear an omission of the "r" from Charleston; ie "Challston", or "Challotte." The upstate really has so many micro areas that the natives have a big variety. When you get in the hills, it is definitely more "country" and "twangy." I'm not really sure about native Columbianites, but the midlands in general seem to be a little more typical southern, whatever that really is. For our big 3, transplants, immigrants, and non-locals have really changed a lot of this, and I hear everything in the Greenville area now; accents from all around the country and many different countries.

I also think Florence has an interesting accent, almost a little Charlestonian to me, but with a little more country or something. You also hear words like "warta" (water, this is a big one I notice with my relatives) and daurta (daughter). PROgrum (program) is another one I hear a lot there.

I find speech fascinating and in truth, there are differences everywhere, with no area really having "no accent." Accent is really a function of your immediate area and what you come accustomed to from many, many conversations over time. I have always thought is was a little funny (and even superficial) to make fun of accents. Unfortunately, many people around the country look down on, and make fun of, people from the South for our accents. In my opinion, it really speaks to their prejudices. People from all other regions have accents too, but it is only ok to make fun of a southern accent. Goodness knows Hollywood hasn't done us any favors in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina