Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 10:57 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times

Advertisements

Charleston real estate is some of the most expensive in South Carolina, although Charleston house values don't compare to the most expensive real estate in the U.S.
Charleston is a decidedly white-collar city, with fully 86.92% of the workforce employed in white-collar jobs, well above the national average. Overall, Charleston is a city of professionals, sales and office workers and service providers. There are especially a lot of people living in Charleston who work in sales jobs (13.69%), management occupations (11.79%) and office and administrative support (10.44%).
Also of interest is that Charleston has more people living here who work in computers and math than 95% of the places in the US.

The education level of Charleston ranks among the highest in the nation. Of the 25-and-older adult population in Charleston, 46.71% have at least a bachelor's degree. The typical US community has just 21.84% of its adults holding a bachelor's degree or graduate degree.

My, my Mr GSP Imagine that,

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2013 at 06:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 11:52 AM

3 posts, read 4,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
First, Charlotte has great restaurants. I will put our selection up against Charleston any day. Second, this is not a lecture board on life. I don't care if folks want to work in a bar their entire life or want to sit on the beach until the social security checks come in.

seems Charleston and MB have a lot in common.

-lost all credibility in those few short sentences, goodbye.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:07 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,409,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Wow, lots of vitriol, LOL. The difference is that I am not telling folks what I personally make to try and build myself up. You said that you have a well paying high tech job and basically a perfect life. Great, glad you shared that with us.

Interesting comments from many other posters. Seems Rory thinks Ll bankers are telemarketers that make pennies. If you are getting calls to be a bank telemarketer, that is not a reflection on banking.

Seems as though folks in Charleston are sensitive and aggressive. Therapist is talking about Charlotte's culinary scene and others are confirming my original thesis that Charleston folks think it is above all others. First, Charlotte has great restaurants. I will put our selection up against Charleston any day. Second, this is not a lecture board on life. I don't care if folks want to work in a bar their entire life or want to sit on the beach until the social security checks come in. If that is what you want to discuss, start a thread. But, economically, socially, professionally and for a few other reasons, Charleston has a long way to go. Recent years have seen improvement but it still lacks a diversity/depth of jobs across industries. If you want to work at Boeing, good. If you want to work in a restaurant, great. You can do that and live at the beach......same could be said for Myrtle Beach. Folks love Myrtle Beach because they can "hang out", seems Charleston and MB have a lot in common.

But, don't cry and boast about personal income when folks in other cities live happily in a city that has elevated itself to a national tier. And, in the process has attracted pro sports, elevated education levels to over 40% (400k residents....larger than Charleston County) for Meck County, has higher income levels and in general built a city that is so attractive that It adds the equivalent of Charleston every 2 years. Folks here love tailgating for the Panthers, being on one of the area lakes, going to great restaurants in any Number of different neighborhoods, having available mass transit options, and the list could go on.....but, this happens in a safe city with job opportunities in many industries from the trading floor (sorry Rory, no penny telemarketing jobs) to manufacturing to aviation to tourism to energy to tech and many others. But hey, you have a "well paying job" and live in a perfect world.
Haha, lets have some friendly fun:

1- Size doesn't matter. Charlotte metro is twice the size of Charleston (like 1.8 million vs 800K). So what. Baghdad is bigger than both combined.

Next...restaurants. You say you'd put Charlottes up against Charlestons any day. Fair enough.
The Forbes 100 best restaurants in America:Bon Appétit Magazine
McCrady's in Charleston is 10th.
Husk in Charleston is 90th.
Charlotte did not have 1 in the top 100.

Schools? Charleston's Academic Magnet was rated one of the top 10 high schools in the nation by USNews: Best High Schools in the US | Top US High Schools | US News & World Report Charlotte did not have one in the top 50 or so until I stopped reading.

2 Charleston schools- Academic Magnet and the Charleston School of Arts, received the USNews "Gold Medal". There were no schools in the state of NC to receive that medal, much less on in Charlotte.

I already showed that the % of residents with college degrees is Charlotte 32.2% / Charleston 31.9%.

So educationally, its about equal, right? My kids would go to one of Charlestons high level schools, not a Charlotte one.

Colleges? Well, other than UNC-Charlotte, you have what? Johnson and Wales? Wingate?

I'd send my kid to The Citadel over any of those. And College of Charleston, of course, is wonderful. Conservative? The Chrisitan school Charleston Southern University is great for that too. MUSC is one of the nation's better medical schools. All are within 15 miles of each other.

Median income: Charlotte appx 50K. Charleston appx 49K.

So again....just about dead even.

So with education and income, its really dead even.

Not sure where the stereotype about Charleston residents having no education or income came from.

Crime? Both cities should be ashamed.

PRO SPORTS haha? On a lighter note, I don't think the Panthers and Bobcats qualify as pro sports right now. I would like an NFL team in Charleston, but it is not a big enough metro to support one.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:10 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
It seems GSP101 knows a lot about nothing.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:40 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Charleston real estate is some of the most expensive in South Carolina, although Charleston house values don't compare to the most expensive real estate in the U.S.
Charleston is a decidedly white-collar city, with fully 86.92% of the workforce employed in white-collar jobs, well above the national average. Overall, Charleston is a city of professionals, sales and office workers and service providers. There are especially a lot of people living in Charleston who work in sales jobs (13.69%), management occupations (11.79%) and office and administrative support (10.44%).
Also of interest is that Charleston has more people living here who work in computers and math than 95% of the places in the US.

The education level of Charleston ranks among the highest in the nation. Of the 25-and-older adult population in Charleston, 46.71% have at least a bachelor's degree. The typical US community has just 21.84% of its adults holding a bachelor's degree or graduate degree.

My, my Mr GSP Imagine that,

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Here are the numbers from BLS, 19% of Charleston is employed in wholesale/retail trade, transportation & warehousing, 20% are government workers, 13% are in restaurants & hotels. So far, over half of the jobs are in trade (think retail stores & warehousing), government & leisure. The next largest category is admin/management at 14%, manufacturing & education. Since Q1, the largest gains in employment have been in leisure, construction and manufacturing. There are jobs losses in IT, for 5 years IT jobs are down 14%. YOY, Charleston jobs rose by 1.5%.

For Charlotte, job growth rose by 2.7% YOY. The area is led by trade, trans & utilities (think airport.....US Airways largest hub and Duke Energy) at 20%, prof Svc at 17%, leisure at 12%, education at 10%, financial at 9%, and government at 13%. Charlotte is more diversified.

As for wages, Meck County has a median household income of over $56k for 1m residents. Charleston County is at $50k for 365k residents. 18% of the people are below poverty in Charleston v 14% for Charlotte. 40.4 % of Mecks population has a 4 year degree v 37.7 in Charleston.

These are the facts straight from Econ analysis so it is a straight comparison with no commentary on how folks translate data. The categories are broad but more of Charlotte jobs are in higher paying positions and is reflected in the income levels being over 12% higher. Some of the professional positions on your website includes everything non manufacturing.....white collar includes waiters, bartenders, Gap workers etc......That is not the best way to look at the data, besides, some of these narratives are written by local chambers.

I am not sure why you guys are arguing. Charleston is not a corporate city. According to CRDA, only 29.8% of folks have a college degree in the metro. That is a local number and correlates more with The census than previously published numbers on here.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2013 at 06:31 AM..

Old 10-17-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
It seems GSP101 knows a lot about nothing.
Actually, you guys should look at where you are getting your numbers, see above. Seems as though you don't know where to look. And, based on CD, have trouble with interpretation. As an example, you all have Charleston listed with a metro of 800k when in reality it is much lower than that (smaller than Greenville and Columbia) Charlotte was listed at 1.8m which is actually 2.4m.

In short, the numbers I provided are real and compare the two using the same principles. You can use neighbors or whatever website you want, they are not ones you would use for proper Econ analysis.....maybe you don't care too much at the beach.

As for restaurants, come up and try Charlotte's scene. It is deeper and larger. Charleston is good but, there is not a time when I have said I wish Charlotte had a restaurant like that. But, once again, y'all bring up magazines.....the same ones that said you have to try The Beacon.

I agree about The Panthers and Bobcats, they don't play like professional teams.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:34 PM

422 posts, read 486,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
The ground is too soft to support a 50 story building.

Just want to point out this is one of those things that get bandied about but isn't accurate. It is true that it is best place to build a skyscraper is on land with bedrock closer to surface, but the issue of "too soft to support" has been solved for lack of a better word with modern engineering. For instance, the city of Boston is pretty much fill and sand, and the bedrock underneath the city is quite deep yet skyscrapers abound. A study of NYC's Manhattan skyline found that some of the tallest buildings in Manhattan were built on the deepest sections of Manhattan’s bedrock. Many cities with numerous skyscrapers like Chicago and San Francisco are built on less than "ideal" land.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:13 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
I will solve this debate once and for all: Atlanta is bigger, better, and has more to offer than both Charlotte and Charleston combined. Muahahaha.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I will solve this debate once and for all: Atlanta is bigger, better, and has more to offer than both Charlotte and Charleston combined. Muahahaha.
LOL, don't tell that to folks in Charleston, they won't believe you but the are sure to say they have "well paying jobs" and "refused to work in banking". Of course, they have it better than anyone, why you can even paddleboard after work, who knew. And, they don't like to work in an office, they prefer the social interaction of J Crew or Vickery's as their place of earning a living and will quickly tell you how superior it is to a corporate/banking/professional job, "chasing the dollar" as they call it.

Charlotte, Atlanta, Greenville, Columbia, Raleigh and many other cities should take note of how things are done in Charleston.....they are "well paid" down there.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:35 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times
Might be best to stop feeding the troll. We all know he has quite a bit still to work out in his life. Let him get back to working through his issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina