Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 05:51 AM

7 posts, read 18,460 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone........My wife and I are moving to Florence, SC from PA. Looking on thoughts on best locations to live in Florence Co. and if the crime is as bad as I read..........Thanks in advance for any info!

Last edited by willypa; 10-22-2013 at 06:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 09:59 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,945,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willypa View Post
Hi Everyone........My wife and I are moving to Florence, SC from PA. Looking on thoughts on best locations to live in Florence Co. and if the crime is as bad as I read..........Thanks in advance for any info!
Hi WillyPA, welcome to South Carolina!

I actually live in Columbia now, but went to college in Florence and can say that I absolutely loved it! It has that small town community feel to it, but you wont have to go to another city for a mall or Wal- Mart! The southern charm is alive and well there and everyone is very welcoming and inclusive and just all around good people.

The crime is not nearly as bad as it is made out to be. Most of the crime there stems from the regions poverty rate and tends to consist of theft, trespassing, or drug charges. I wont say it never happens, but rarely are there shootings in and around Florence.

Though the area has a high poverty rate, it tends to be concentrated in the rural areas just outside of town or in the north and east sides of town. Anything from Irby Street west and Palmetto Street South is what I would recommend. West Florence, South Florence is good, I personally like the Timrod Park Neighborhood, it is older modest but still really cool mix of college kids and young couples. A lot of apartments in Florence like Charles Point tend to be more college students, not completely but pretty good bit so if you are older and dont want to be around that I would avoid those places or honestly look at a house instead.

What are some more specifics on what your looking for?

Old 10-22-2013, 10:34 PM

255 posts, read 610,196 times
I live in Florence and I would have to agree with ColaClemsonFan11. Florence is a city that is growing at a steady pace. It has fewer crimes than the major three cities of SC. It also has the same amenities that the major cities of SC have. Florence is closer to the beach (Myrtle Beach) and has two major medical centers (McLeod Regional and Carolinas Hospital System). West Florence and South Florence are pretty decent areas to live especially when it comes to real estate value. I live in East Florence and I can say it pretty much isolated from other parts of town. You can get to the west side of town within 20 minutes approximately from the east side of town. If you choose to live in East Florence look into The Country Club of SC area. As far as crime goes, I haven't witnessed any crime so far but from what I have heard, if you go towards the Quinby area then the chances of crime would increase.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:12 AM

Thanks so much for the info! We are thinking about looking at homes in the area of the north side of Timmonsville and homes in and near Hampton Point. What's the opinions about those areas? Thanks again for any information about the area!!!

Old 10-23-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much for the info! We are thinking about looking at homes in the area of the north side of Timmonsville and homes in and near Hampton Point. What's the opinions about those areas? Thanks again for any information about the area!!!
That area is very nice I had a few friends in college whose parents lived over in Hampton Point and the Traces Golf Course. It is nice and isolated and off of the one road, pretty much gets out more rural, but that's not a bad thing IMO. I am not familiar with northern Timmonsville but I would recommend staying around Hampton Point over Timmonsville simply due to the issues in Timmonsville. When you get out that way, you actually begin seeing a bit more crime believe it or not. You may also want to check out Ebeneezer Chase and Rutledge Manor as well, both similar to Hampton Point and in the same general area. Windsor Forest is also good and a bit more conveniently located and accessible to most areas of Florence like Five Points, the mall and downtown.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:39 PM

Thanks a lot on the good information. We will be heading down in a few weeks to look at several homes and I will keep your information handy...........THANKS AGAIN

Old 10-23-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks a lot on the good information. We will be heading down in a few weeks to look at several homes and I will keep your information handy...........THANKS AGAIN
Anytime, glad I could help!

Old 10-23-2013, 06:11 PM

140 posts, read 191,803 times
I'm not exactly the most knowledgeable person to ask since I'm only a teenager, but I've lived in Florence my whole life (I actually live close to Hampton Pointe).

Windsor Forest is hands down the nicest subdivision in Florence. Vintage place (also off of Hoffmeyer) is a really nice subdivision as well. A lot of the houses in those subdivisions are pretty pricey though (especially Windsor forest).

As for crime, I haven't experienced anything that bad. I hate to generalize, but I bet you most of the crime happens on the north side of the city around Oakland avenue. West Florence is the best part of the city even though there are some portions that are kind of sketchy

Old 10-23-2013, 08:13 PM

15 posts, read 23,421 times
You might want to check out Whitehall, Kelly Farms, Oakdale neighborhoods, all out near Hampton Trace. The neighborhoods off Pineneedles road and Ebenezer Road will be one of the safest areas in Florence. All these neighborhoods are closer to Timmonsville than other parts of Florence , if for some reason you need to be closer to Timmonsville.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:07 AM

Thanks to everyone giving me the great advise!!!!!!! Your knowledge with the area that I am going to call home in the very near future is truly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina