Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 07:56 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
So, that's what it is, a strange obsession with thinking that you are manipulating folks on an internet message board, funny.
Again, if you didn't care, you wouldn't be responding. Thanks for the admiration. It's cute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 06:24 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,652,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I agree. Even NYC is just too much.

Green eyes of envy, I guess. It could be that there are those folks in a smaller, "less-economic" city, happy and getting all of the attention, while others sit in "better-off" economic places, not getting attention, cold and alone, and depressed. One can only feel sympathy.
My feelings exactly.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:16 PM

22 posts, read 50,518 times
As a NC resident, who lived in SC and travels there on business often, I agree that the I-26/126/20 area is a real mess. Especially coming out of Cola on 126 at 5:30pm. However, trying to get out of downtown Charleston at the same hour is absolutely miserable. (Also, I was under the impression that the Charleston MSA is the largest in SC. With tourists, Charleston seems MUCH busier than Columbia.) Plus, Charleston's east-west (not way out on 526) traffic is just awful. Try getting onto 26 from downtown via antiquated US 17 sometime. That bridge looks like something my dad travelled in the 1960s at The Citadel. And let's not forget that when travelling from I-95 from Florida or Savannah to Myrtle Beach, US 17 is an important route. It takes a LONG time to get through Charleston on 17 currently. Regarding the GSP metro, it is by far the nicest, most progressive metro in the state. The appearance of the infrastructure is very modern vs Columbia and Charleston. They have nice overhead signage, modern bridges, etc. - it just looks much more prosperous. You can't tell that you're not in NC there - until you get to the old section of 85 down near Georgia or around the Gaffney area.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:12 AM

12,898 posts, read 18,751,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCurbanNative View Post
As a NC resident, who lived in SC and travels there on business often, I agree that the I-26/126/20 area is a real mess. Especially coming out of Cola on 126 at 5:30pm. However, trying to get out of downtown Charleston at the same hour is absolutely miserable. (Also, I was under the impression that the Charleston MSA is the largest in SC. With tourists, Charleston seems MUCH busier than Columbia.) Plus, Charleston's east-west (not way out on 526) traffic is just awful. Try getting onto 26 from downtown via antiquated US 17 sometime. That bridge looks like something my dad travelled in the 1960s at The Citadel. And let's not forget that when travelling from I-95 from Florida or Savannah to Myrtle Beach, US 17 is an important route. It takes a LONG time to get through Charleston on 17 currently. Regarding the GSP metro, it is by far the nicest, most progressive metro in the state. The appearance of the infrastructure is very modern vs Columbia and Charleston. They have nice overhead signage, modern bridges, etc. - it just looks much more prosperous. You can't tell that you're not in NC there - until you get to the old section of 85 down near Georgia or around the Gaffney area.
An MSA with 80-something fewer people than Columbia's but a seemingly larger one because of tourists? - Not my scene. Maybe if they got light rail or built on the Atlantic Ocean so that the Charleston to Summerville jam would decrease, the nightmare in and out of there might become a pleasant dream.

That's interesting about the more modern overhead signage and modern bridges. The South Carolina Highway Department does builds their stuff, too. BTW I just noticed a nice, light green coat of paint on an overpass over I-126 coming out of Columbia the other day. At least I've never noticed it before.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:05 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCurbanNative View Post
(Also, I was under the impression that the Charleston MSA is the largest in SC. With tourists, Charleston seems MUCH busier than Columbia.)
Actually the latest official population data indicates Greenville's MSA (which includes Anderson County, but does not include Spartanburg County) is currently the largest in South Carolina.

Charleston is likely busier in reality thanks to its booming tourism industry and port-related activity.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:32 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,409,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Actually the latest official population data indicates Greenville's MSA (which includes Anderson County, but does not include Spartanburg County) is currently the largest in South Carolina.

Charleston is likely busier in reality thanks to its booming tourism industry and port-related activity.
Yep. Charleston just has a huge chunk of people who don't reside there...but are physically there, as tourists or short-term "dreamers" who come rent a room for a summer after college or in a mid life crisis, hoping Charleston will be their new dream city/home. 4.5 million tourists last year, none counted in the Census, so it inflates the daily human presence a lot. And, like Columbia, there is a large military presence with the USAF and USN bases, and I may be wrong, but I don't think their folks count on the census as they live technically on-base, which is federal property, not city.

THe guy from NC is right. While 20/26 needs some help, it is just brutal some days trying to move in Charleston.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:52 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Yep. Charleston just has a huge chunk of people who don't reside there...but are physically there, as tourists or short-term "dreamers" who come rent a room for a summer after college or in a mid life crisis, hoping Charleston will be their new dream city/home. 4.5 million tourists last year, none counted in the Census, so it inflates the daily human presence a lot. And, like Columbia, there is a large military presence with the USAF and USN bases, and I may be wrong, but I don't think their folks count on the census as they live technically on-base, which is federal property, not city.

THe guy from NC is right. While 20/26 needs some help, it is just brutal some days trying to move in Charleston.
I am not sure about Greenville, can't find the number, but according to Columbia CVB, there are 3m visitors in the capital city annually. Between this figure, the military and USC, Columbia always seems like a busier city for one it's size. I have never had trouble getting around in Charleston or Columbia except for the old Cooper River Bridges. Typically, locals always overstate congestion unless you live in Atlanta.

On the other hand, I85 is terrible, the signs may be modern but the road surface will reduce your tires to slicks. The major flaw with 26/20 is the design.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:55 PM

Im actually in the upstate right now visiting family for the holidays. Had a nice jog through downtown Greenville. Nice city.

Worked out at the new Anytime Fitness on E Washington at the Spring St garage. Thought for SURE I'd be paying for parking.

To my shock, on a weekday at noon, I found ample parking, on the side of the street, and didn't even have parking meters to pay for. Traffic wasn't even congested.

NEVER would find that downtown Charleston, and it was great. Either good design or something, but it was pleasant to be able to go downtown, little traffic, find a free parking spot less than 100 yards from Main Street, and just workout and take a walk and eat lunch. Went to the Mellow Mushroom on the West end of Main. Good pizza.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:38 PM

12,898 posts, read 18,751,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post

Charleston's military who are living in the area on base or not are counted in the population. It's the same in Columbia and anywhere military personnel live.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Charleston's military who are living in the area on base or not are counted in the population. It's the same in Columbia and anywhere military personnel live.
Ah, didn't think so. The USAF and Navy base have a lot of people and spouses living in this area. Definitely a military town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina