Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 07:51 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure that Columbia be the most edge-u-ma-cated metro in South Carolina. Columbia gots swag!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 08:45 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,409,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I'm pretty sure that Columbia be the most edge-u-ma-cated metro in South Carolina. Columbia gots swag!
The flood of idiot politicians in that city drags it's overall IQ down. So, cant blame Columbia for that one.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:33 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
GSP has made a point in the past to say Charleston is nothing but a bunch of drunk college dropouts. In fact, the opposite is true. Its the most well educated population in the state. There is a lot of retirees coming here, just like the upstate. I think there is a reason for that. The upstate mountains and coastal region attracts retirees, much more than the midlands.
I don't know what the numbers are for each region (although I'm sure the coast in general far outstrips the rest of the state), but I do know that Columbia has gotten a whole lot of good press in recent years as a favorable retirement destination:

25 Best Places to Retire - Columbia, S.C. (22) - Money Magazine

Columbia, South Carolina: America's Best Affordable Places to Retire - US News & World Report

Columbia, South Carolina - In Photos: 25 Best Places To Retire In 2012 - Forbes

Retirees have their place, but SC's major metros need to focus on attracting young and middle-aged educated professionals, the groups that make for a highly-skilled workforce. That's what will drive prosperity in the state, not retirees whose primary considerations tend to be weather and taxes and little else. SC needs to take notes from NC and VA with respect to long-term economic and population growth trends, not FL.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:40 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times
Quote:
The flood of idiot politicians in that city drags it's overall IQ down. So, cant blame Columbia for that one.
Agreed. Columbia, without the politicians, is full of top level, high SAT scoring, near genius people. Just take a look at the various schools and their SAT scores. Columbia be smart! Columbia gots swag!

Old 11-05-2013, 12:49 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,469,254 times
Quote:
And, our public schools are better. The best high schools in the state are in Charleston. Academic Magnet is 10th in the nation.
LOL! Charleston's public schools are better than where? Marion, SC?

Charleston is well known for a few things, but public education isn't one of them. I would say that the education system is one of the drawbacks to living in Charleston.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:19 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,169 times
Quote:
GSP has made a point in the past to say Charleston is nothing but a bunch of drunk college dropouts. In fact, the opposite is true. Its the most well educated population in the state. There is a lot of retirees coming here, just like the upstate. I think there is a reason for that. The upstate mountains and coastal region attracts retirees, much more than the midlands.
Sure, why not.?

It sounds like you have a personal beef, and are using the article as a way to show Charlestons significance. As stated many times over I don't think anyone is disputing Charleston's educational attainment, it seems at least by most, to be self evident. What others and myslef have pointed out is the composition of that number. This shouldn't strike a nerve.

(Disclaimer): I grew up in Columbia, SC (St. Andrews to be exact) it is a great city that many people enjoy but has areas that can be improved upon. One must consider my view of Columbia will be a bit biased, given that I grew up there. With that said this does not mean that other cities besides Columbia that I mention on this forum, or in the state of South Carolina is; stupid, lame, not cool, dweebs, greasers, dirty Susan's, Jeremiah's, Munson's, Humperdink's, or street sharks. My goal is to simply express my thoughts, and as needed deliver measured analyzed data (approved by a non-biased, objective body who specializes in such matters as to which I may be referring) so that those who read my post may find useful information when facilitating further discussion on such matters.

-Sandlapper

Last edited by sandlapper; 11-05-2013 at 03:50 PM..

Old 11-05-2013, 08:50 PM

12,897 posts, read 18,751,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Weyell, it shore ain't Grain-vul.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:13 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Weyell, it shore ain't Grain-vul.
Thank goodness. They're still voting in Greenville County on blue laws that we got rid of in Richland County in the 80's.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:26 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,409,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
LOL! Charleston's public schools are better than where? Marion, SC?

Charleston is well known for a few things, but public education isn't one of them. I would say that the education system is one of the drawbacks to living in Charleston.

Top South Carolina High Schools | Best High Schools | US News
Charleston is home to the 10th ranked public high school in the NATION.

2 Charleston schools got the US News "Gold Medal" classification. They are the only 2 public schools in South Carolina....OR North Carolina......to get that award. The are obviously the 1st and 2nd ranked ones in the state. Wando High- the largest HS in SC- is 16th ranked.

And, the popularity of private schools down here are huge. Much different than the Gville/Cola areas where public school is the dominant option. Porter-Gaud, Bishop England, First Baptist, Northwood, Ashley Hall, and others. All outstanding schools, and one reason so many smart kids DONT go to Burke or James Island or other lower ranked public schools.

Academic Magnet is the 10th best public HS in America.
Charleston SOA is the 2nd best in SC.
Wando is 16th in SC.

But, the prevalence of the private schools here are one big reason the other public schools are low ranked. Because so many smart kids DONT go there. So, yeah, the education options in Charleston are better. You can get your kid into Academic Magnet or the SOA. Or move to Mt P and go to Wando. OR...send them to one of the great private schools.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:43 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,072 times
It has long been understood that Charleston's private schools are popular and decent because of the state of its public schools. Yes, Academic Magnet is a good school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina