Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 10:08 PM

719 posts, read 1,058,983 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Upstate SC for many years.I was born and have family in NYC but my mother is from SC. To me the most amazing thing about SC is that between the Upstate and the Lowcountry you have 2 regions that are quite different in temperament and culture that are just a short drive from the other. I always welcome the chance to get down to the Lowcountry even if its just for a long weekend. It's great to relax to its subtropical vibe. Which is not to say I don't appreciate the Upstate too with its hills and lakes. Basically you can take a great vacation without having to leave SC at all.

Last edited by senecaman; 11-15-2013 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: add info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 11:11 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
I have lived in Upstate SC for many years.I was born and have family in NYC but my mother is from SC. To me the most amazing thing about SC is that between the Upstate and the Lowcountry you have 2 regions that are quite different in temperament and culture that are just a short drive from the other. I always welcome the chance to get down to the Lowcountry even if its just for a long weekend. It's great to relax to its subtropical vibe. Which is not to say I don't appreciate the Upstate too with its hills and lakes. Basically you can take a great vacation and not have to leave SC at all.
......Your post caught my interest.............Being familiar with SC as you are perhaps you would provide some info:

I'm 81, widowed, like to travel (get out of Montana in the winter months), have a 7 yr old Brittany that travels with me in the SUV where ever I go....I have lived (for 34 years on 14 acres, 11 miles out of town (pop 6500), in a wooded valley in western Montana and love the peace and quiet and solitude.
.......I am thinking of finding a private vacation rental (furnished) on 5 to 10 acres....outside of a middle sized town (5k to 25,000 population), that i can rent for about 4 months in the winter.
My interests are: Occasional Bird Hunting with my Bird Dog.........a local gun club (to shoot skeet and sporting clays) .....decent access to some"good"restaurants;...exploring and sight seeing areas that I would find "new-to-me" and visiting various towns that would cater to someone with "outdoor type interests".
......I am an out-going type person who make friends very easily.....am not judgmental......do not discuss religion or politics. I drink socially and enjoy good BBQ.

I am open to any and all: suggestions and comments regarding (A) Areas; (B) Specific towns; and (C)City or County organizations that might be able to provide me with some basic information that would be of benefit to me.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Don (Montana Griz)

Old 11-16-2013, 07:59 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,781 times
Lowest gas prices
Nice beaches
Low taxes
Friendly people
Great food

Old 11-16-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
......Your post caught my interest.............Being familiar with SC as you are perhaps you would provide some info:

I'm 81, widowed, like to travel (get out of Montana in the winter months), have a 7 yr old Brittany that travels with me in the SUV where ever I go....I have lived (for 34 years on 14 acres, 11 miles out of town (pop 6500), in a wooded valley in western Montana and love the peace and quiet and solitude.
.......I am thinking of finding a private vacation rental (furnished) on 5 to 10 acres....outside of a middle sized town (5k to 25,000 population), that i can rent for about 4 months in the winter.
My interests are: Occasional Bird Hunting with my Bird Dog.........a local gun club (to shoot skeet and sporting clays) .....decent access to some"good"restaurants;...exploring and sight seeing areas that I would find "new-to-me" and visiting various towns that would cater to someone with "outdoor type interests".
......I am an out-going type person who make friends very easily.....am not judgmental......do not discuss religion or politics. I drink socially and enjoy good BBQ.

I am open to any and all: suggestions and comments regarding (A) Areas; (B) Specific towns; and (C)City or County organizations that might be able to provide me with some basic information that would be of benefit to me.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Don (Montana Griz)
This info might be of help, Its a link to 2 clubs in SC-The Harris Springs Sportman's Preserve in Cross Hill SC and the Buck Ridge Plantation in Neeses SC.

Hunting Lodges in South Carolina | South Carolina Quail hunting | South Carolina Pheasant Hunting

Here are the specific links to the clubs
Harris Springs Sportsman Preserve|The South's Finest Upland Hunting

Buck Ridge Plantation

Cross Hill SC is a small town of about 500 in Laurens County in the Upstate of SC. Some of the towns relatively close by Cross Hill are Laurens (10,000), Clinton (8500) which are both in Laurens County, Greenwood (23,000) in Greenwood County, Newberry(10,000) in Newberry County.

Also very close to Cross Hill is Lake Greenwood which covers over 11,000 acres.

Cross Hill is about 178 miles from Charleston and the coast.

Neeses SC is in the lower part of the Midlands of South Carolina bordering on the Lowcountry and has a population of about 400.It's in Orangeburg County and it's close to the city of Orangeburg which has a population of about 14,000.

Orangeburg is near Lake Marion which covers over 100,000 acres and Lake Moultrie which covers about 60,000 acres. Both lakes have some of the best striper bass fishing and some of the best fishing period in the country.

Orangeburg is about 76 miles from Charleston and the coast.

Image of land near Cross Hill to give you an idea of what it looks like - http://www.landflip.com/land/60013/60013_6.jpg

Image of land in Orangeburg County SC - http://s3.amazonaws.com/loa.images/i...11432173-p.jpg

Here are other sites that have lots of info about both areas.

Greenwood Regional Tourism & Visitors Bureau

Welcome to the City of Greenwood, South Carolina

Orangeburg, South Carolina Travel and Vacation Guide - Visitor Information

City of Orangeburg

Best restaurants Greenwood, SC

Best restaurants Orangeburg, SC

Barbeque Greenwood, SC

Barbecue Orangeburg, SC

Last edited by senecaman; 11-16-2013 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 11-16-2013, 12:03 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,857,650 times
Quote:
I have lived in Upstate SC for many years.I was born and have family in NYC but my mother is from SC. To me the most amazing thing about SC is that between the Upstate and the Lowcountry you have 2 regions that are quite different in temperament and culture that are just a short drive from the other. I always welcome the chance to get down to the Lowcountry even if its just for a long weekend. It's great to relax to its subtropical vibe. Which is not to say I don't appreciate the Upstate too with its hills and lakes. Basically you can take a great vacation without having to leave SC at all.
Here is my list of the best of SC:
- The bike trails on Hilton Head and the wooded nature of Hilton Head.
- The fact that it can be 40 degrees in Jan in Myrtle Beach and most of the condos / hotels have indoor pools and lazy rivers.
- Main Sreet Greenville
- Equestrian crossings on the city streets (dirt) in Aiken.
- Table Rock
- Shem Creek and the bars and restaurants that line it.....the fact you have cans of OFF on your outdoor table.
- King Street Charleston
- Georgetown and the fact it has a cemetary that has a burial (headstone) from before the US ws a country.
- South of the Border
- The fact SC has a female governor.
- BMW
- The Caribbean clear blue waters of Lake Jocassee
- Pawleys (Nothing more needs to be said)
- The Sanctuary - Kiawah
- The small size of the state and the quick access to the rest of the Southeast
- The fact it is one of "The Carolina's". So cool that two states share a common name and nice that Charlotte is the capital of "Metrolina"
- Carolina mustard based Bar-b-q sauce
- The rooftop bars in Charleston
- The foodie scenes of Charleston and Greenville
- Duffy Street in Cherry Grove
- The "Freshwater Coast".....Jocassee, Keowee and Hartwell.
- Beaufort
- Dukes Mayonnaise
- Stepping out of the airport terminal late at night, at GSP, and smelling crisp, fresh Upcountry air.

I could go on....this was just a few......

Old 11-16-2013, 12:28 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,610,483 times
Hwy 11
Kiawah, Wild Dunes
Pawleys Island
Georgetown
The state capitol building in Columbia
2 top college football programs
Columbia's rivers
Proximity to Charlotte.....agree with Gsupstate about this being the capital of both Carolinas and is part of both states
Local southern restaurants.....Bistro 217, Franks
Greenville's Main Street and park
Columbia's natural parks
Devine St
The Horseshoe
BMW
Best small airport in the country (design), GSP

Old 11-16-2013, 12:32 PM

12,888 posts, read 18,741,137 times
Two posts up: He could go on for pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and, well, you get the picture...and not come up with one single thing about Columbia or anything in the Midlands that is a good thing about South Carolina. Nothing, zero, nada, zilch.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:35 PM

Some things I like about the Midlands. I don't get down to Columbia that often but I like the energy you get from being around +30,000 undergrad and grad students. Clemson's more rural location is great too but the 2 schools compliment each other. I also like the way the air in the evenings in Columbia has a sort of warm coastal feel to it, especially in late spring and early summer before it gets real hot. The city has a good mix of restaurants and people and it's a change of pace from my usual stomping grounds.

My brother in law is from Sumter and I enjoyed going there when he still lived there. I have always thought you could argue either way that Sumter was in the lower part of the Midlands or the upper part of the Lowcountry. But I had a great time in college going down there just after the spring semester was over.He had a small above ground pool in his backyard but it was perfect on summer evenings to cool off in. I always liked the way most of the homes in the neighborhood had at least one palmetto tree in the front yard. I would bring my fishing gear and fish in all the rivers , lakes , ponds and swamps in the area. I have had some great luck fishing off the bank at Lake Marion. When I was younger I thought the Midlands and the Lowcountry were a little ugly (or maybe just not as pretty as the Upstate) but over time I came to appreciate the distinctive look of those areas. I have been out on some lonely highways in Sumter County where all you could hear was the wind blowing through the tall pine forests. I have a distant cousin who has an old farm house with several acres in Kershaw County. He is surrounded by pine forests and deer (the next house is maybe about a mile away )and its very pretty there to me. So over time I have come to like the Midlands a lot. Two of my favorite places to eat are Wards BBQ which has several locations in Sumter and Leo's Chicken Wings in Lugoff.

Last edited by senecaman; 11-16-2013 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: info

Old 11-16-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Here is my list of the best of SC:
- The bike trails on Hilton Head and the wooded nature of Hilton Head.
- The fact that it can be 40 degrees in Jan in Myrtle Beach and most of the condos / hotels have indoor pools and lazy rivers.
- Main Sreet Greenville
- Equestrian crossings on the city streets (dirt) in Aiken.
- Table Rock
- Shem Creek and the bars and restaurants that line it.....the fact you have cans of OFF on your outdoor table.
- King Street Charleston
- Georgetown and the fact it has a cemetary that has a burial (headstone) from before the US ws a country.
- South of the Border
- The fact SC has a female governor.
- BMW
- The Caribbean clear blue waters of Lake Jocassee
- Pawleys (Nothing more needs to be said)
- The Sanctuary - Kiawah
- The small size of the state and the quick access to the rest of the Southeast
- The fact it is one of "The Carolina's". So cool that two states share a common name and nice that Charlotte is the capital of "Metrolina"
- Carolina mustard based Bar-b-q sauce
- The rooftop bars in Charleston
- The foodie scenes of Charleston and Greenville
- Duffy Street in Cherry Grove
- The "Freshwater Coast".....Jocassee, Keowee and Hartwell.
- Beaufort
- Dukes Mayonnaise
- Stepping out of the airport terminal late at night, at GSP, and smelling crisp, fresh Upcountry air.

I could go on....this was just a few......
Stepping out of the airport terminal late at night, at GSP, and smelling crisp, fresh Upcountry air.
I recall a flight back from NYC at night several years ago and leaving the terminal and how great it was to hear the crickets and cicadas.It was like "Ahh back home again."

Shem Creek and the bars and restaurants that line it.....the fact you have cans of OFF on your outdoor table.
Back in 1978 or 79 I was with my family and some friends at the old Trawler restaurant on Shem Creek and my cousin got some of the juice from a bottle of hot peppers in his eye and he about went nuts trying to wash it out.

Maybe add this to the list-The old Windjammer bar on the Isle of Palms - (before it was rebuilt after Hurricane Hugo)
It could have been the same night that my cousin got the pepper juice in his eye but he and a family friend got kicked out of the Windjammer.That night I vaguely remember going into the bar with them for a few minutes and then I left to go back to our rented beach house with my parents. I think this was the summer of 79 and the 2 of them kept listening to "My Sharona" whenever it was on the radio and that summer it played all the time. I didn't go back to the Windjammer till August 89(about 6 weeks before Hurricane Hugo) with a friend of mine from Greenville .

Last edited by senecaman; 11-16-2013 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: info

Old 11-16-2013, 06:15 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,857,650 times
Quote:
Stepping out of the airport terminal late at night, at GSP, and smelling crisp, fresh Upcountry air.
I recall a flight back from NYC at night several years ago and leaving the terminal and how great it was to hear the crickets and cicadas.It was like "Ahh back home again."
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina