Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2013, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,848 times

Advertisements

Although I can't retire and truly get out of New England for another 10 years. I would like to buy a place to rent out for now and then move. I've looked around Florida and do not really want to be that far south and it wasn't really for me anyway. I was thinking South Carolina. I am a small town girl, would like a quaint little town, near the coast. Was thinking maybe Georgetown or Pawley's Island, South Carolina. One of my son's lives in Charlotte, NC and the other one graduated from the University of South Carolina and is a HUGE gamecocks fan. I'm also very down to earth, would like a community where folks care about one another, is there even such a place anymore? Not a place of haughty snobs. Sorry, but this is a place for me to be blunt (yes, I am a Bostonian, forgive me, I'm direct and honest). I welcome all feedback and would greatly appreciate it! I did see a place I could afford in Pawley's Island, called Egret Run and a place in Georgetown called Wedgefield plantation. These would be examples of my price range. Am thinking of escaping the brutality of winter in February and making a trip to look around, so any recommendations would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 12:50 PM

61 posts, read 67,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhill359 View Post
Although I can't retire and truly get out of New England for another 10 years. I would like to buy a place to rent out for now and then move. I've looked around Florida and do not really want to be that far south and it wasn't really for me anyway. I was thinking South Carolina. I am a small town girl, would like a quaint little town, near the coast. Was thinking maybe Georgetown or Pawley's Island, South Carolina. One of my son's lives in Charlotte, NC and the other one graduated from the University of South Carolina and is a HUGE gamecocks fan. I'm also very down to earth, would like a community where folks care about one another, is there even such a place anymore? Not a place of haughty snobs. Sorry, but this is a place for me to be blunt (yes, I am a Bostonian, forgive me, I'm direct and honest). I welcome all feedback and would greatly appreciate it! I did see a place I could afford in Pawley's Island, called Egret Run and a place in Georgetown called Wedgefield plantation. These would be examples of my price range. Am thinking of escaping the brutality of winter in February and making a trip to look around, so any recommendations would be great.
I think living in Georgetown would suck, kind of a depressed town. Pawley's island is a little better but it is more resorty and all that tourist traffic comes right thru there in the summer.

I would recommend looking Conway which is just to the east of Mrytle Beach but you will have to deal with some tourist traffic there and it probably somewhat overpriced.

Florence is 1 hour west of Mrytle Beach so you are close enough to go every weekend but cost of living is much cheaper and it is right on I-95.

Aiken is another small town that a lot of people like in SC, it is near Augusta Georgia about 2.5 hours from the beach.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:57 AM

88 posts, read 185,001 times
We live in new england and hate the winter weather . Looked in Charleston , but realty is pricey . Also the areas outside of Charleston , like Mt Pleasant , lack a true down town . After much research , we visited Aiken . Great , vibrant downtown . Winters can be in the 40s or you could have a 70 degree day . I'm looking to retire in maybe 2 years , and Aiken does have a large retirement population . Since I am in 60s and wife 50s , that is Ok .. Plenty of golf and tennis , all the amenties , restaurants, small , specialty shops as wellas big box stores . Much to like .

Old 12-22-2013, 04:26 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,766 times
nhill,
There are just a couple of things to consider.
You want a place to rent out in the summer and visit in the winter?
So, you will have to find a REALLY good property management company, which
you can trust. You will have to discuss this with another landlord to see who they
recommend. That is very important, to protect your investment.
Another major thing to think about is the FLOOD INSURANCE which the federal
government is GETTING OUT OF.
The flood insurance on the property is going to be very expensive, if it is at a low
elevation, which everything by the coast in SC is, and you should really research to
see what the flood insurance will cost you before you even decide on a property.
There is a rumor that Congress is going to change the law, but it is just a rumor,
and the costs are already very high now. If you don't need a mortgage, then you can
go without flood insurance, which really isn't a good idea, but you won't need it.
The last issue you have to think about is the real estate taxes being much higher on the
property since you will not be a full time resident of SC. So, if you are looking for a property,
find out what the taxes for a non resident is. TRUST me, ask, many people do what you are
doing and then they are mad that the taxes are so high.
You could wait, and come down in 10 years when you want to retire, and see how things are
then. That way you can just rent a place til then, and still enjoy SC in February.
Good Luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina