Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 03:53 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,588,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I just mentioned Columbia as something I thought the OP was just posting this in the SC forum to get at Columbia folks. I didn't mean anything by it. Pay attention next time.

Also, numerous times people have told you to go back to the NC forum as you're not wanted here. Take the hint.
Understand one thing, it is simple, I am from SC and have lived in the state exponentially longer than you, I can post here if I want, get the point. If not, PM me.

Besides, the "numerous" people are Charleston folks that argued miserably that Charleston is somehow more relevant economically than places like Charlotte. If you believe Charleston will be a major tech center, say why. Don't resort to crying and calling names, tell us why you think it will overcome the obvious shortcomings and become relevant even in the Carolina's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 03:59 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,294,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Understand one thing, it is simple, I am from SC and have lived in the state exponentially longer than you, I can post here if I want, get the point. If not, PM me.
Understand one thing: it doesn't matter. No one likes you. Swallow your pride and stop with the annoying posts.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:00 PM

37,798 posts, read 41,542,932 times
Quote:
You're right that they are a dime a dozen, but it's more important than you think to put a stake in the sand. Tech industry is browsing for the next "valley". We're probably 5-10 years from the Valley becoming a thing of the past.
Oh I think it's important to shore up that particular cluster, but that goes far beyond trendy nicknames. And where do you get the idea that the tech industry is browsing for the next valley? The real, original Silicon Valley is FAR from becoming a thing of the past because in that geographical area exists a dynamic that simply can't be duplicated elsewhere. Boston, Austin, Raleigh, etc. have all tried and obviously had some successes, but they've come WAY short of truly being on Silicon Valley's level.
Porter and legions of consultants following his methodology prescribed top-down clusters to governments all over the world. The formula was always the same: select a hot industry, build a science park next to a research university, provide subsidies and incentives for chosen industries to locate there, and create a pool of venture capital.

Sadly, the magic never happened—anywhere. Hundreds of regions all over the world collectively spent tens of billions of dollars trying to build their versions of Silicon Valley. I don’t know of a single success.

What Porter and Terman failed to recognize is that it wasn’t academia, industry, or even the U.S. government’s funding for military research into aerospace and electronics that had created Silicon Valley: it was the people and the relationships that Terman had so carefully fostered among Stanford faculty and industry leaders...

It was Silicon Valley’s high rates of job-hopping and company formation, its professional networks and easy information exchange, that lent the advantage. Valley firms understood that collaborating and competing at the same time led to success—an idea even reflected in California’s unusual rule barring noncompete agreements. The ecosystem supported experimentation, risk-taking, and sharing the lessons of success and failure. In other words, Silicon Valley was an open system—a giant, real-world social network that existed long before Facebook.
Billions have been spent trying to replicate Silicon Valley, with little to show for it. | MIT Technology Review

Old 12-22-2013, 04:02 PM

37,798 posts, read 41,542,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post

Besides, the "numerous" people are Charleston folks that argued miserably that Charleston is somehow more relevant economically than places like Charlotte. If you believe Charleston will be a major tech center, say why. Don't resort to crying and calling names, tell us why you think it will overcome the obvious shortcomings and become relevant even in the Carolina's.
Now I know some of the Charleston folks can embellish, but I don't know that any of them has ever said anything akin to this.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Oh I think it's important to shore up that particular cluster, but that goes far beyond trendy nicknames. And where do you get the idea that the tech industry is browsing for the next valley? The real, original Silicon Valley is FAR from becoming a thing of the past because in that geographical area exists a dynamic that simply can't be duplicated elsewhere. Boston, Austin, Raleigh, etc. have all tried and obviously had some successes, but they've come WAY short of truly being on Silicon Valley's level.
Porter and legions of consultants following his methodology prescribed top-down clusters to governments all over the world. The formula was always the same: select a hot industry, build a science park next to a research university, provide subsidies and incentives for chosen industries to locate there, and create a pool of venture capital.

Sadly, the magic never happened—anywhere. Hundreds of regions all over the world collectively spent tens of billions of dollars trying to build their versions of Silicon Valley. I don’t know of a single success.

What Porter and Terman failed to recognize is that it wasn’t academia, industry, or even the U.S. government’s funding for military research into aerospace and electronics that had created Silicon Valley: it was the people and the relationships that Terman had so carefully fostered among Stanford faculty and industry leaders...

It was Silicon Valley’s high rates of job-hopping and company formation, its professional networks and easy information exchange, that lent the advantage. Valley firms understood that collaborating and competing at the same time led to success—an idea even reflected in California’s unusual rule barring noncompete agreements. The ecosystem supported experimentation, risk-taking, and sharing the lessons of success and failure. In other words, Silicon Valley was an open system—a giant, real-world social network that existed long before Facebook.
Billions have been spent trying to replicate Silicon Valley, with little to show for it. | MIT Technology Review
I read an article every month on it in my RSS feeds. It's quite interesting, but essentially the area is getting cold and companies are looking to diversify. I don't think Charleston is close, but it's nice to have aspirations! The chamber is also working on something.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:28 PM

154 posts, read 243,531 times
it is funny watching people who don't work in high tech argue over which cities has more high tech companies. lol

Old 12-22-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBaker View Post
it is funny watching people who don't work in high tech argue over which cities has more high tech companies. lol
Hahaha

For the record, I do work in high tech.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Hahaha

For the record, I do work in high tech.
lol, ok well I know GSP doesn't.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:29 PM

12,757 posts, read 18,569,433 times
I'm starting to get the mindset of my mother on this city vs. city thing (unless I see a reason to defend my city when someone slams it). "Why compare?" she asked. "I don't understand that." She's a 77-year-old white woman from southern Orangeburg County who has lived in Bamberg for 30 years.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I'm starting to get the mindset of my mother on this city vs. city thing (unless I see a reason to defend my city when someone slams it). "Why compare?" she asked. "I don't understand that." She's a 77-year-old white woman from southern Orangeburg County who has lived in Bamberg for 30 years.
this was interesting, said nobody ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina