Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 09:39 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,969,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's even worse for out-of-state recent grads who graduated from better schools, could bring fresh new ideas, add some regional diversity to the pot, etc. This makes Charleston look especially provincial, particularly in light of its aspirations to become more of a national and international tourist destination. I don't think any type of spin here would paint Charleston in a positive light if any of what you're saying is accurate--and for the record, I'm not even close to being a Charleston hater.
I'm in tech. For my new hires out of college, I primarily recruit from Va Tech, Auburn, Clemson, and Ga Tech. So primarily regional, yes, but not just Charleston based. I recruit from these places b/c I've got to know the CS profs there and can get personal recommendations from them vice just picking someone random.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 11:54 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,452,050 times
I still don't understand why this is in the South Carolina forum and not the Charleston forum. Most people around the state don't really care about this announcement.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:20 AM

37,798 posts, read 41,542,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I'm in tech. For my new hires out of college, I primarily recruit from Va Tech, Auburn, Clemson, and Ga Tech. So primarily regional, yes, but not just Charleston based. I recruit from these places b/c I've got to know the CS profs there and can get personal recommendations from them vice just picking someone random.
That's better than simply looking within SC. I know there will be a natural bias towards local and in-state schools but when looking at recent grads for recruitment/hiring, I would hope that actual selection goes beyond that.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:47 AM

12,757 posts, read 18,565,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBaker View Post
this was interesting, said nobody ever.
What I'm tired of is the personal stuff. I can read debates about cities and related things and enjoy them, but people making crude comments to each other is what I don't like. Making a comment about a City-Data-related topic and being forceful in refuting what someone else said is one thing, but making comments about their IQ, background, sexuality or other aspect of their being is rude and most likely the only reason people get banned.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:58 AM

"Around 97 percent of private-sector employment (in SC) is in companies with 100 or fewer employees."

Read more here: Columbia, SC: Gossett, Rawl: Positive signs for SC economy | Letters to the Editor | The State

This is why I think it's great for Charleston and Greenville to have big manufacturing companies. Without them there might not be as much job growth in those areas. Columbia, while it does have Blue Cross Blue Shield, SCANA and the like, seems to rely more heavily on the types of firms mentioned in the quote above. The SC Employment and Workforce Department's figures consistently show Columbia doing quite well in the job gains game. The Boeing investment does play well on the stage of the entire state's recovery from the recession, not just Charleston's. The more it invests in SC, the better for the whole state. The same goes for BMW. If SC gets the 777X we'll be flying high! Boeing not only is investing heavily in Columbia at USC and the State Museum, but it also is sponsoring an after-school youth program to help students who are at risk of falling behind and slipping through the cracks. There's something for everyone. Quit fussing.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:01 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,811,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
"More cowbell": Benefitfocus kicks off $60M Charleston expansion – The Post and Courier

Along with all the other great things going on, the push for a "mini Silicon Valley" in Charleston continues to grow, as BenefitFocus announced a new $60 million dollar investment in high tech jobs and a big expansion in Charleston, that will bring about 1200 new tech jobs. Along with Boeing buy HUGE lots of land around it's current site- about 3X the amount it now sits on- it appears huge growth in aerospace and tech jobs is coming for the area. You know....for all those who aren't "college dropouts working as a bartender" haha
Excellent news!

Old 12-23-2013, 12:50 PM

154 posts, read 243,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
What I'm tired of is the personal stuff. I can read debates about cities and related things and enjoy them, but people making crude comments to each other is what I don't like. Making a comment about a City-Data-related topic and being forceful in refuting what someone else said is one thing, but making comments about their IQ, background, sexuality or other aspect of their being is rude and most likely the only reason people get banned.
You make crude comments all the time on here, I'm not going to outline them again though. You've also insulted me several times. Nobody wants to hear about your mother living in Bamberg and it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

You also bring up gay marriage and gay topics a lot on threads that have nothing to do with gay topics. You also take digs at Republicans which is the main reason I've engaged you on here as I typicall won't bring up politics on here, I just respond to people who do.

Last edited by BobBaker; 12-23-2013 at 12:59 PM..

Old 12-23-2013, 01:11 PM

I don't attack other City-data members personally with mean or goading comments directed at them or about them, and I don't make comments about their personal lives. If I've ever said anything to you that you took as a personal attack, you need to look at what you said to me or about me right before it.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:27 PM

154 posts, read 243,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I don't attack other City-data members personally with mean or goading comments directed at them or about them, and I don't make comments about their personal lives. If I've ever said anything to you that you took as a personal attack, you need to look at what you said to me or about me right before it.

You are consistently off topic on here as I said, political standpoints, gay marriage advocacy on threads not about that, asides about your mother in Bamberg, etc

What have I said that is mean to you, I did talk some smack on the smack thread. If you don't like smack talk you need to stay away from a smack talk thread. You apparently don't have many male friends if that bothers you because the point of smack is saying things that are true or have some truth in them or just a wild distortion that is still logical in a way. It isn't about being "nice". It isn't supposed to be a group grope.

Nobody is out to get you because you are gay so you can get off your cross now. lol

Old 12-23-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBaker View Post
You are consistently off topic on here as I said, political standpoints, gay marriage advocacy on threads not about that, asides about your mother in Bamberg, etc

What have I said that is mean to you, I did talk some smack on the smack thread. If you don't like smack talk you need to stay away from a smack talk thread. You apparently don't have many male friends if that bothers you because the point of smack is saying things that are true or have some truth in them or just a wild distortion that is still logical in a way. It isn't about being "nice". It isn't supposed to be a group grope.

Nobody is out to get you because you are gay so you can get off your cross now. lol
You're making it about you and me. I'm talking about in general. Be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina