U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 02:09 PM

22 posts, read 19,540 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are contemplating a move from Massachusetts to SC (we hate winter and love Nikki Haley). We're not sure where to start looking, so we thought we'd post our wish list and get some ideas from folks on this forum.

We're in our late 50s, so we're still working. My husband has been in the construction (accounting) field all his life and he needs to work for probably another 10 years. We would like to be near civilization (e.g., not far from malls, grocery stores, library, hospital, etc.), and we think we'd prefer a place with a population between, say, 25 and 40 thousand (but that's not a must). We'd also like to be within a relatively short distance (say, less than an hour drive) of a major city. And in a place where the property taxes aren't ridiculous, since that's one of the things we're trying to escape. Another thing we're concerned about is public transportation and services for senior citizens, since we'll eventually be senior citizens.

I think those are our major concerns. Suggestions/recommendations? Thanks very much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 02:14 PM

8,592 posts, read 5,391,841 times
Greenville area of upstate south carolina

Old 01-01-2014, 02:18 PM

467 posts, read 457,978 times
Aiken and Florence SC are smaller cities in SC with low housing costs and cost of living. Aiken is a popular retirement city and Florence has a lot of retirees as well being only 1 hour from Mrytle Beach.

Both cities have decent shopping/restaurants in them, with a bigger city within 1 hour.

There isn't much public transportation in SC though. Most cities have bus lines.

A good thing about Florence is it is the only major city in SC right on I-95 so it would be convenient for you if you plan on going back to Mass. a good bit to visit.

Haley is awesome and hopefully will run for president.

Here is a good introduction to Florence Florence in pictures

Last edited by Francis.; 01-01-2014 at 02:28 PM..

Old 01-01-2014, 03:01 PM

Thank you, Francis and ipaper!

Old 01-01-2014, 03:59 PM

8,592 posts, read 5,391,841 times
you are very welcome and I would seriously give Greenville area a look first. you would also be not far from Atlanta and charlotte, almost in the middle of the two. some other areas of the state could work also but coming from the north east, I just believe you will like this area. good luck to you.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:34 PM

7,623 posts, read 11,476,961 times
The Greenville area might have the most opportunities for employment for your husband. If you prefer the coast, I'd suggest the Bluffton/Hilton Head area. Lots of retirees and older people, close to Savannah and a couple of hours or so from Charleston.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:44 PM

467 posts, read 457,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
The Greenville area might have the most opportunities for employment for your husband. If you prefer the coast, I'd suggest the Bluffton/Hilton Head area. Lots of retirees and older people, close to Savannah and a couple of hours or so from Charleston.

Hilton Head is the most expensive place to live in SC.

I'd recommend living in the Charleston metro if you want to be near the beach in SC and there is more to do in Charleston than HH.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:35 AM

Thank you, everyone!

Old 01-02-2014, 07:19 AM

7,623 posts, read 11,476,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis. View Post
Hilton Head is the most expensive place to live in SC.

Yes it is, but compared to the Boston area, it seems affordable.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:32 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,076,061 times
Some of these towns you are suggesting are way larger than 25 to 40 thousand. Towns in SC that are that size that are within an hour drive of a larger city are as follows:

Sumter
Florence
Aiken
Orangeburg
Newberry
Walterboro
Clemson
Anderson
Blufton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or