U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:25 AM

3,819 posts, read 8,882,755 times

Advertisements

OP i took a quick look on your fb site, some very nice images!

Since you seem to enjoy birds, here's 3 i took at Magnolia (one enjoying a snack lol), and the eagle that's housed in the SC aquarium in Charleston. Of course not trying to hijack the thread, just giving you some more ideas on what this state offers an avg photog like myself, let alone one with the right equipment and skills.
Attached Thumbnails
Good Area for Wildlife/Nature/Landsacape Photography-eagle.jpg   Good Area for Wildlife/Nature/Landsacape Photography-mag.jpg   Good Area for Wildlife/Nature/Landsacape Photography-mag1.jpg   Good Area for Wildlife/Nature/Landsacape Photography-mag2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 11:17 AM

6 posts, read 7,339 times
Thank you ranger17...glad you liked them!

I really shoot anything in nature...just happens to be a lot of birds up here...and make great subjects...
I am not big on shooting people/human subjects...I will do it for my kids...if they want/ask.

I am really looking forward to moving to SC...and the photos you posted really helps give me some insight to what I can expect.

No worries on hi-jacking the thread...I appreciate ALL your help and the photos...I am not like some photographers...it is just a hobby and I appreciate/enjoy photos from smartphones to Point/Shoots all the way to the Pro levels...as long as the photo is clear and a good subject...it works for me!

Feel free to post anytime and thanks again for all your help!

Old 01-10-2014, 12:51 PM
Status: "Did I just roll my eyes out loud?" (set 2 days ago)

7,297 posts, read 4,398,081 times
You didn't say if there would be many or any restrictions on how you could get around out of a car. Ranger mentioned some of the fantastic waterfalls in the area. Some of them require a good hike, but not all of them. Whatewater Falls has a paved surface to get to the viewing area where I shot these from --

Whitewater Falls by Joseph C. Hinson Photography, on Flickr

Whitewater Falls by Joseph C. Hinson Photography, on Flickr

Cry Falls is my favorite in the area, but you have to walk down some fairly steep steps. once you do that, it's incredible! You get to walk behind the falls!

Dry Falls 1 by Joseph C. Hinson Photography, on Flickr

Let's see if the video will show here --

[flash=http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=137818]width="400" height="267" flashvars="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=4b236af0c5&photo_id=10385111573" bgcolor="#000000" allowFullScreen="true"[/flash]

Apparently not, so here's the direct link --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joethephotog/10385111573/

Both of these are in the Wallhalla, SC/Highlands, NC area as well as this view where you literally just pull off the road and --

Big Rhodes View by Joseph C. Hinson Photography, on Flickr

Columbia has a fairly good zoo if that interests you --

Riverbanks Zoo (11) by Joseph C. Hinson Photography, on Flickr

Riverbanks Zoo (15) by Joseph C. Hinson Photography, on Flickr

Riverbanks Zoo (1) by Joseph C. Hinson Photography, on Flickr

Admittedly I prefer shots of buildings, bridges or trains --

Columbia Skyline from Finlay Park by Joseph C. Hinson Photography, on Flickr

Columbia, SC @ Night by Joseph C. Hinson Photography, on Flickr

From Cayce Riverwalk, an easy walk on a trail and a brief detour to the rivers edge --

2 Trains on 2 Trestles by Joseph C. Hinson Photography, on Flickr

Next up for me, I want to get down to Charleston and get some good night time shots of the Ravenelle Bridge.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:23 PM

Some real nice captures...Joe...I appreciate the information and images...I see you use a 60D...A fellow Canon shooter!

I can get around some...I am not restricted to a wheelchair...I was walking when a motorcyclist hit me going over 80+ MPH and needless to say darn near killed me...I was never supposed to survive and when I did they said I would never walk again...It took me 2 years to get out of the wheelchair and I have more scars than Frankenstein and I walk funny...and I have so much metal in me I set off metal detectors...but...I am alive and doing what 25 doctors said was not possible!

As I said I have some limitations as to what I can do but as long as it is a regular hiking type trail...even if hilly/unlevel...I'm good, but if any "climbing" at all...I'm out!

What about ATV usage/access trails for shooting/riding......I have a Honda Foreman Rubicon that I use.

Oh yeah Zoos are great place to get "Portraits" of animals and the fountain is something I will look for!

Once again...great images and appreciate the post/info...maybe our shooting paths will cross down there!

Have a good one!

Old 01-10-2014, 02:23 PM

good point on the access Joe, apologies as that wasnt much of a consideration in where i may head into for shots. Though most spots are pretty accessible; well my wife may not agree after a 1.5 mile hike to see one of those dang falls.... in bear season... lol

And i totally zoned on the Riverbanks zoo here. It really is a good one (not to mention it's gardens across the river when in bloom). Well worth becoming a member. I've taken a ton of animal shots there, spring is a good time as the critters are more active and it's comfortable enough to spend time walking around (plus again catch some colors in the gardens)

Old 01-10-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsgrampy View Post
Some real nice captures...Joe...I appreciate the information and images...I see you use a 60D...A fellow Canon shooter!

I can get around some...I am not restricted to a wheelchair...I was walking when a motorcyclist hit me going over 80+ MPH and needless to say darn near killed me...I was never supposed to survive and when I did they said I would never walk again...It took me 2 years to get out of the wheelchair and I have more scars than Frankenstein and I walk funny...and I have so much metal in me I set off metal detectors...but...I am alive and doing what 25 doctors said was not possible!

As I said I have some limitations as to what I can do but as long as it is a regular hiking type trail...even if hilly/unlevel...I'm good, but if any "climbing" at all...I'm out!

What about ATV usage/access trails for shooting/riding......I have a Honda Foreman Rubicon that I use.

Oh yeah Zoos are great place to get "Portraits" of animals and the fountain is something I will look for!

Once again...great images and appreciate the post/info...maybe our shooting paths will cross down there!

Have a good one!

i'd say once you are down in the area, feel free to light this thread back up and we can give more details on areas to check out and that can allow you to get maps, see overviews, etc so you can enjoy your day shooting.

Sorry to hear about the accident but sounds like you have more then your share of cajones and inner strength to hang in there and get to the point you have instead of giving up and confining yourself. I tip my hat!

Old 01-10-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post

2 Trains on 2 Trestles by Joseph C. Hinson Photography, on Flickr

Next up for me, I want to get down to Charleston and get some good night time shots of the Ravenelle Bridge.

btw love these shots. Esp the reflective image w/ the trains. I tend to look for water reflection images while out in nature, at the plantation, etc but you really captured it perfectly in that one.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:22 AM

i'd say once you are down in the area, feel free to light this thread back up and we can give more details on areas to check out and that can allow you to get maps, see overviews, etc so you can enjoy your day shooting.

Sounds like a good plan and will keep this post marked...just for that!

Sorry to hear about the accident but sounds like you have more then your share of cajones and inner strength to hang in there and get to the point you have instead of giving up and confining yourself. I tip my hat!

Thank you...It was a rough time...I guess that old saying is true...

"What does not kill us...Only makes us...Stronger!"

But...it sure can hurts...sometimes!

Have a good one and thanks for the posts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina