Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 12:13 PM

2,130 posts, read 2,271,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryTimrod View Post
this is a catch 22 argument in that I'm making an excellent case that these rankings are bogus and SC should be nowhere near ranked no. 4 but you guys are coming back and talking about how SC beat 3 top 10 teams this year including UCF who really shouldn't be ranked higher than 15th in my view given their weak conference. You are using the bogus year end rankings which are not the BCS rankings which are more accurate to make your case SC is better.

CLemson beat two top 10 teams this year. UGA was at least top 6 when they were healthy

SC only scored more points on Clemson than UCF b/c SC has an inconsistent offense plus 6 turnovers in the Clemson game , including 2 on punt returns. You shoudl have scored more. Not to mention Clemson was on the road, UCF was at home.

You're contradicting yourself when you say theses rankings are bogus and then go on to say that UGA was a top 6 team when Clemson beat them. You can't make an argument go your way when you contradict yourself like that. Plus, you base the strength of your schedule on the end of the year, where those teams end up, like what were doing now. No one cares that UGA was once number 6, because they haven't received one vote in the final poll and stunk it up the rest of the year. Not an impressive win. Include the fact that Clemson played them at home, Clemson had the advantage and probably should have won. Like a previous poster said, why would you celebrate in the fact you beat a then number 1 SoCal when now they ended up barely cracking the top 25?

Oh sorry, we're not using the now defunct BCS rankings. The AP poll and USA today poll are the only rankings we have to go by. No offense, but I doubt anyone on this board is going to go by your personal rankings and give it any credence. I'll take the hundreds of pollsters that make the AP poll and USA today over your opinion any day, you certainly don't seem to be the most competent sports analyst.

Your last paragraph doesn't make any logical sense so I'm not going to even bother trying to fix that train wreck of words lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 12:32 PM

92 posts, read 75,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
You're contradicting yourself when you say theses rankings are bogus and then go on to say that UGA was a top 6 team when Clemson beat them. You can't make an argument go your way when you contradict yourself like that. Plus, you base the strength of your schedule on the end of the year, where those teams end up, like what were doing now. No one cares that UGA was once number 6, because they haven't received one vote in the final poll and stunk it up the rest of the year. Not an impressive win. Include the fact that Clemson played them at home, Clemson had the advantage and probably should have won. Like a previous poster said, why would you celebrate in the fact you beat a then number 1 SoCal when now they ended up barely cracking the top 25?

Oh sorry, we're not using the now defunct BCS rankings. The AP poll and USA today poll are the only rankings we have to go by. No offense, but I doubt anyone on this board is going to go by your personal rankings and give it any credence. I'll take the hundreds of pollsters that make the AP poll and USA today over your opinion any day, you certainly don't seem to be the most competent sports analyst.

Your last paragraph doesn't make any logical sense so I'm not going to even bother trying to fix that train wreck of words lol
no football fans would have guessed SC was no. 4 prior to these coming out. I saw some websites have them placed at no. 8 at the highest.

They should have just gone ahead and ranked SC ahead of Auburn too since Auburn had two losses after the title team. lol, obviously winning conference or division or going to a BCS bowl was not a factor in these rankings.

Maybe one day I will gain the command of the English language that a blue collar factory worker at Michelin has. I'll be somebody then. lol

A team that lost to Tenn who didn't even go to a bowl game and a team that didn't win their own division should not be ranked no. 4 in the country.

it is a good thing the title team isn't determined by the AP anymore like prior to BCS. lol

Last edited by HenryTimrod; 01-10-2014 at 12:42 PM..

Old 01-10-2014, 12:55 PM

243 posts, read 282,848 times
so if a team that lost to UT shouldn't be ranked at #4 then where should a team that lost to a team that lost to UT be ranked and who also didn't win their division? surely no higher than 15th.

keep trying to hang your hat on that UGA win...the fact is UGA lost something like 8 starters from their defense last year (I'm not sure how many they lost on offense) they shouldn't have been a top 10 team at any point this year. that ranking was a combination of reputation and performance in the 2012 season.

you keep contradicting yourself...you say that obviously winning your conference and going to a BCS bowl (which by the way clemson wouldn't have gone to had it not been for the stupid 2 max per conference rule) didn't matter but then you claim that UCF is over ranked despite the fact that they won their conference, went to a BCS bowl (where they played another team who won their conference unlike Clemson) and won a BCS game.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock303 View Post
so if a team that lost to UT shouldn't be ranked at #4 then where should a team that lost to a team that lost to UT be ranked and who also didn't win their division? surely no higher than 15th.

keep trying to hang your hat on that UGA win...the fact is UGA lost something like 8 starters from their defense last year (I'm not sure how many they lost on offense) they shouldn't have been a top 10 team at any point this year. that ranking was a combination of reputation and performance in the 2012 season.

you keep contradicting yourself...you say that obviously winning your conference and going to a BCS bowl (which by the way clemson wouldn't have gone to had it not been for the stupid 2 max per conference rule) didn't matter but then you claim that UCF is over ranked despite the fact that they won their conference, went to a BCS bowl (where they played another team who won their conference unlike Clemson) and won a BCS game.
it doesn't work that way, your logic is if SC lost to Tenn, then Clemson would have. Also, if CLemson beats Ohio State, than SC would have. If UCF beats Baylor, than SC would have.

That is the point of Spurrier's dumb talking point about he is the champ of bowl season. He's taken credit for the wins of other teams that he beat.

UGA looked much better than SC against Florida and they should have beat Auburn, at Auburn, only lost b/c of that fluke play. They also beat SC. I think UGA had a top 5 offense this year so their defense didn't have to be stellar.

I think Clemson had a case for going over SC , Missouri might have a case over Clemson.

I never said every school , and I think everybody knows that American Athletic conference is the weakest one. UCF is actually ranked higher b/c they loss to a SEC team in SC b/c why is UCF like 10 spots higher than Lousville who might actually be better despite losing to UCF? In this case the SEC bias is pulling up a team for simply losing to a SEC school while beating two other decent teams.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:13 PM

Only 3 top 25 teams played FSU this year. Losing to FSU has to count less than losing to other teams. They won the title and clearly the best team by a long shot.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:45 PM

243 posts, read 282,848 times
you know what I am done with the conversation...you are clueless.

I will end by saying this, Clemson had absolutely no case for being ranked over Carolina...they didn't have a better record, they didn't play a tougher schedule, and they didn't beat them head to head

Old 01-10-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock303 View Post
you know what I am done with the conversation...you are clueless.

I will end by saying this, Clemson had absolutely no case for being ranked over Carolina...they didn't have a better record, they didn't play a tougher schedule, and they didn't beat them head to head
We did play a tougher scehdue. we played no. 1 team in country, you didn't. You guys play Tenn, Ark, Miss State, Kentucky, Vanderbilt , plus top quarterbackless Florida and Missour and then want to talk about playing a tougher schedule. lol The toughest part of your schedule was us.

We beat Georgia, you lost to UGA, that negates your head to head matchup plus you had the worse loss of the two schools, to Tenn.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:59 PM

135 posts, read 166,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryTimrod View Post
We did play a tougher scehdue. we played no. 1 team in country, you didn't. You guys play Tenn, Ark, Miss State, Kentucky, Vanderbilt , plus top quarterbackless Florida and Missour and then want to talk about playing a tougher schedule. lol The toughest part of your schedule was us.

We beat Georgia, you lost to UGA, that negates your head to head matchup plus you had the worse loss of the two schools, to Tenn.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:44 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,443,013 times
80+ pages on the other thread wasn't enough?

Old 01-10-2014, 03:06 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,576,562 times
Agreed. Stop feeding the troll. Both teams had great years. No matter which side you're on, you can't talk sense to this guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina