U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 10:07 PM

126 posts, read 133,322 times

Advertisements

I am from Kansas and have never dreamed of living anywhere east of here; however, after living on the west coast in both California and Oregon, I'm not sure it's in my budget. I have started thinking about what it would be like to live on the southern east coast.

I know nothing about SC but I am curious! What is the local culture like? Laid back and friendly? How are the beaches...warm? Can a person surf there? What is the job market like and are the cities interesting? What about th e countryside and locals?

Any info is welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 07:20 AM

1,827 posts, read 2,058,942 times
If you are interested in the coast, I'd focus on the stretch between Georgetown and Beaufort. North of that is Myrtle Beach which is fine if you want a circus atmosphere. South of that is Hilton Head and that is also crowded but nicely developed. But BIG $$$. Between Georgetown and Charleston is somewhat remote and what I would call "country." Several very small communities. Not a lot of amenities. The area around Charleston is very developed and can be very expensive. But Charleston is a great city for history and culture. And shopping and dining as well. Edisto and Beaufort are next and they are very laid back. Edisto is somewhat remote without much in the way of aminities but Charleston is only 40 minutes away. Beaufort, while not right on the coast, is a port city on the water. And it is a decent sized city with just about everything you'll need. The beach is about 15 minutes away.

The waves around here aren't that big so it depends on what you mean by surfing. I see surfers but the waves are nothing like Southern Cal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or