U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-27-2014, 02:50 PM

6 posts, read 2,845 times

Advertisements

Good day to you all, I am considering relocating to the southeast. I live in the north and fed up with the weather. My company has offices in each of the four cities listed in the title of this thread and I just need to wait for an opening to transfer. I honestly do not know which city would be better to live in. I don't know anything really about them except a few things I've gleamed from city-data and that all four seem to be nice places. Can anyone give some info about any of them please?

Perhaps: quality of life issues, cost of living, school quality, water qualities, best neighborhoods, etc.

Thaks to all.

Last edited by AstroBlack; 01-27-2014 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: spelling
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 01:27 PM

11,119 posts, read 6,974,856 times
It all depends on what type of city and what size city you're most comfortable with.

Traffic in Atlanta can be bad, but not so much if you live near your work or have a reverse commute (I have the latter).

Old 01-29-2014, 09:54 AM

471 posts, read 257,843 times
Four cities, four different leagues -- from major to minor. The size of the metro area is a key factor, as it affects choice of housing stock (and number of areas to live in), amenities, and educational opportunities. In descending order: metro Atlanta has 5.4 million residents, Jacksonville has 1.4 million, Charleston about 700,000, and Savannah 360,000.

Savannah (where I grew up) and Charleston punch above their weight because of prestige and publicity (both are stunning and kind of exotic), but Savannah is rather small. Charleston, almost twice as large as Savannah, has twice as many amenities, making its quality of life better in my opinion. Most of Jacksonville is not a pretty place (IMO), but its sheer size means better all-around living options than Savannah; some areas of JAX are very attractive. Atlanta is huge, the ninth-largest metropolitan area in the U.S. and really an international city. It has less of a "southern" feel, with many transplants from the North, Midwest, and California. Thus, there's a difference between Savannah and Charleston, Charleston and JAX, and JAX and Atlanta. You should visit all four, analyze the differences, and keep their metro populations in mind always. It's important.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:38 PM
Status: "OK, winter can end any day now! ;)" (set 27 days ago)

3,254 posts, read 4,240,315 times
OP, what are some of the things you (and family if applicable) enjoy doing? Does the beach come in as a big plus? Or do you like what's available in a big city? Or ??

We go to Charleston often for day trips, it's probably our most favorite city to visit. Savannah is one we go to as well just less often as it has many of the same things (tied to historical and the beaches) as Charleston. In fact i heard one person say Savannah was like Charleston's younger cousin.
I've only driven thru Jax, and never have been to Atlanta (no wish to) but as i'm not a big city boy Atl wouldn't be on my list, and living in FL wasnt on our radar when we relocated south from WI.

I agree one should visit any potential market; forums like CD can offer some decent insight, add in pulling info from the chamber of commerce for the 4 cities mentioned and any other sites you can find for data can all be helpful. But that's just data and opinions. Visit the areas, do things you'd do if you lived there, and i'd also recommend talking with the HR depts in those company locations to get a feel for state taxes, etc as well

Old 01-30-2014, 10:46 AM

1,941 posts, read 2,701,447 times
It really depends on what you want. All are fine cities, but very different. Atlanta is a world class city, and none of the others you listed come close to offering the same opportunities and amenities. Atlanta also has more people, worse traffic, and is several hours from the beach instead of right on it like the other three you mentioned. As the city gets smaller, traffic gets better, but amenities and opportunities also tend to decrease. With that said, your happiness is probably not related to how big a city is, but how well it matches your personal and professional interests and preferences. I'm confident you would be able to find your niche somewhere in each one, but one is likely the best for you. As others have said, visit them all, drive around a lot, talk to people, and get a feel for which one feels like home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina